Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do With This Child
WImom 10:16 AM 10-03-2011
I have a 4y old DCG that can't eat at the table without fooling around. Today she was standing next to her chair drinking her milk out of her cup like a cat. I've many time put her in my kitchen at my table by herself for fooling around, she doesn't care. I've gone over why it's we should manners at the table (spilled drinks, food, etc).

I've been thinking maybe having her eat lunch or snack after everyone else and setting a timer for 5 minutes so she has to alteast sit that long. Since I figured she'd just say she's done right away.

Any other ideas? I've been having alot of not listening problems with her lately. Mom and dad are no help, they think everything the kids do is funny. (Like their 3y old sticking his toungue out at me when they tell him to say bye.)

I have these same problems with the brother too but not as bad.

They have been here a year so these are not new rules.
cheerfuldom 10:56 AM 10-03-2011
Are they actually eating? I offer food, if they play at the table, meal time is over. If I do not have a safe spot for them then they sit at the table without food until the group is done. It usually doesn't last long here.
tbutler 11:06 AM 10-03-2011
I would set a timer for 5-10 mins as the amount of time she has to eat. When timer goes off, she cleans up whatever mess she has made and lunch for her is over. I'll explain that if she doesn't eat during that time frame she'll be hungry later.
morgan24 11:43 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Are they actually eating? I offer food, if they play at the table, meal time is over. If I do not have a safe spot for them then they sit at the table without food until the group is done. It usually doesn't last long here.
I do the same thing except I have an open floor plan so I send them to the living room and they sit with their backs to the kitchen and table. Then when you don't eat your lunch you get milk and fruit for snack.

If the 3 year old stuck his tongue at me even if his parents were here I would say some thing about that being rude and if it continues the next morning he can sit in a chair instead of playing. How do they expect their children to have any manners if they think everything they do is funny. How funny will it be when they are teenagers and get in trouble. I bet they won't be laughing then.
WImom 11:56 AM 10-03-2011
Yeah, I just ignore the behavior when there parents are around. I don't say anything back and ignore.

She's very picky (she doesn't like alot of my healthy choices) so she doesn't care when I take her food away. I've done that a few times already. The DCB is usually eating and playing. Hitting kids with his fork, kicking under the table, etc.

This week they started coming earlier and are now eating breakfast with us. On one side I'm happy because I know they eat a sugar filled breakfast at home and then come super hyper to my house so I'll be in control of that now but the silliness at the table started at breakfast this morning.

Maybe if she's fooling around at breakfast she can just eat in the other room the rest of the day. Not sure. When these kids aren't here for a meal everyone just talks nicely and eats their food. Maybe it will get better now that most meals are here? Wish the listening problems were just at the table, but lately it's been for alot of things.
Tags:4 year old, bad behavior - at meal time, table manners
Reply Up