Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Refuses To Talk To Me
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:16 AM 03-14-2012
She is 4 and has been with me since September.

She just has this attitude that she doesnt need to give me the time of day.

She acts like she is too good for me and will never answer me when I talk to her.

The only time she says something to me is at snack/lunch.

I WANT A DRINK. No please, no may I have a..... it's always a demand.

She always says yuck, to everything i make. says its gross or stinks.

She talks to everyone else in the house. I might add that her brother (6)comes here too and he is pretty good, kinda ocd about his food but at least he says hi and talks to me.

Should I just ignore it or am I acting like a child about this?

Oh I might add that when she wants me to hang up her jacket or do something for her she just throws it at me and expects me to deal with it.

I am finding her to be extreamly rude and snotty.
hpresley86 10:45 AM 03-14-2012
I am not experienced as far as day care kids go, but as a personal motherly experience, do you correct her? My 3 yo son is bad about demanding things, when he does, I correct him, and make him request appropriately before I do it.

Such as: He says-I say

Get me a drink!-"No, you ask, mommy will you please get me a drink?"

I want to watch TV-"May I watch TV"

I always am sure to tell him, you dont talk to mommy that way, if you want something you ask politely, and I make him ask politely before he gets it!
bunnyslippers 10:54 AM 03-14-2012
I may sound like a meanie here, but that would not fly in my house. If you are in my home, you will treat everyone with respect or you will have very little fun in your day.

No please, no thankyou = no lunch, no snack (never had a child miss a meal yet)

Throw a coat at me = you will be sitting with that coat until you choose to hang it up yourself or use nice manners

Insult my food = sitting at a separate table from everyone else

Not answering my questions or ignoring me = no activities until you choose to treat me nicely. I have no problem with a child missing an activity until she can follow my easy, clear cut rules and expectations.

I would not put up with it, and I would enforce consequences at every instance. Neutral, clear consequences. I can't stand rude children, and have very little patience for snotty kids who treat me, or anyone else, disrespectfully.
Blackcat31 10:56 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I may sound like a meanie here, but that would not fly in my house. If you are in my home, you will treat everyone with respect or you will have very little fun in your day.

Throw a coat at me = you will be sitting with that coat until you choose to hang it up yourself or use nice manners

Not answering my questions or ignoring me = no activities until you choose to treat me nicely. I have no problem with a child missing an activity until she can follow my easy, clear cut rules and expectations.

I would not put up with it, and I would enforce consequences at every instance. Neutral, clear consequences. I can't stand rude children, and have very little patience for snotty kids who treat me, or anyone else, disrespectfully.

This child is doing this because she can. She is getting attention for this type of behavior somewhere (not saying at daycare) and it wouldn't fly here either.

I am a meanie just like bunnyslippers and would do exactly as she said she would.
MrsB 11:45 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:

I am with blackcat and bunnyslippers all the way!

In fact, yesterday I had a DCG (3yrs) sit on the thinking chair for 3 hours until she made the right choice to say "Mrs B will you PLEASE help me put on my shoes" She missed almost all of our outdoor time yesterday. Including our pic-nic snack, pulling the weeds in the garden, tilling it, finger painting. Granted she is one of the more headstrong ones I have had. Usually it never takes that long.

I put the thinking chair in the doorway where I could see her while we were oustide and I gave her shoes. She sat there for the 1st half hour whining that she needed her shoes on, the next hour and a half was spent just sitting there, the last hour was spent trying to put her shoes on herself and then came the "Pleeeeease". Phewwwww!
Heidi 12:18 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I am with blackcat and bunnyslippers all the way!

In fact, yesterday I had a DCG (3yrs) sit on the thinking chair for 3 hours until she made the right choice to say "Mrs B will you PLEASE help me put on my shoes" She missed almost all of our outdoor time yesterday. Including our pic-nic snack, pulling the weeds in the garden, tilling it, finger painting. Granted she is one of the more headstrong ones I have had. Usually it never takes that long.

I put the thinking chair in the doorway where I could see her while we were oustide and I gave her shoes. She sat there for the 1st half hour whining that she needed her shoes on, the next hour and a half was spent just sitting there, the last hour was spent trying to put her shoes on herself and then came the "Pleeeeease". Phewwwww!
Oooh...your a toughie! I don't know if I could have made it 3 hours! Glad no one has ever tested me that long!

I agree with the other ladies, though. I would NOT let her treat me like that. I have a 3 1/2 yo dcg that tries it now and then, though. It doesn't really work for her on me, but I notice mom took of her shoes again this a.m.
Greenplasticwateringcans 01:03 PM 03-14-2012
No way would I let a DCK treat me like that. My biggest DCK petpeeve is rude kids.
I have had a DCK who, when they did not get their way, would ignore me. Beyond rude and obnoxious!
I would simply tell them when they were ready they could come and tell me their answer etc and just let them sit where ever they were.
AfterSchoolMom 01:10 PM 03-14-2012
In absolute agreement with Bunnyslippers!!! I had one once that did that to me - thankfully it was a temporary situation (a drop in). I just told her that if she didn't tell me what she wanted or speak when spoken to, then she'd have a very boring day and would get nothing. We happened to be eating lunch at McDonalds that day.... shockingly, she recovered her speech and manners very quickly.
Bookworm 01:41 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
No way would I let a DCK treat me like that. My biggest DCK petpeeve is rude kids.
I have had a DCK who, when they did not get their way, would ignore me. Beyond rude and obnoxious!
I would simply tell them when they were ready they could come and tell me their answer etc and just let them sit where ever they were.
I'm with you. That is one of biggest pet peeves. I simply tell them to leave the attitude at the door when they come in. If they refuse, then they have to sit away from the group until the attitude improves. I have had many kids miss fun activities because of a battle of wills. You would think they would figure out that they can't win.
Hunni Bee 02:38 PM 03-14-2012
THIS. This is why I can't wait to be with center based care and move to home based.

I would love to do what you ladies do in these situations. Not because I want to be mean, but because these are the best ways to train children. You have a bad attitude, you get nothing. You make bad choices, you get bad results. You can't get along with the group, you go away from the group til you can.

This "child centered" approach I have to take would tell me to beg the child, give them a million choices, one on one them to death, and let them have their.way. It doesn't teach them a thing about the real world and how to behave, and wastes a ton of time.

Don't get me wrong, I do use and like a lot of their strategies, but the discipline parts are way off target, in my opinion.
daycare 02:48 PM 03-14-2012
Wow hunni Bee that would drive me up a wall.

I am with everyone else too....NO way hommie don't play that...lol I love that saying, ok makes me feel american...lol and stupid....

I don't battle children and I don't give in. My motto children who don't listen, don't get to have any fun. If she was listening to me, I could care less if she talked to me. I love silence...lol But she sure would miss out on all the fun....
cheerfuldom 03:16 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Wow hunni Bee that would drive me up a wall.

I am with everyone else too....NO way hommie don't play that...lol I love that saying, ok makes me feel american...lol and stupid....

I don't battle children and I don't give in. My motto children who don't listen, don't get to have any fun. If she was listening to me, I could care less if she talked to me. I love silence...lol But she sure would miss out on all the fun....

ha ha, cute quote, you are definitely an American now
daycare 03:27 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
ha ha, cute quote, you are definitely an American now
awe thanks....it really embarrasses my older two teens when I say it.,... They say MOM PLEASE DONT.........
MrsB 04:07 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Oooh...your a toughie! I don't know if I could have made it 3 hours! Glad no one has ever tested me that long!

I agree with the other ladies, though. I would NOT let her treat me like that. I have a 3 1/2 yo dcg that tries it now and then, though. It doesn't really work for her on me, but I notice mom took of her shoes again this a.m.
Oh I almost cracked about every 15 minutes. Then I realized I was not punishing her. To go out to play we need shoes on. I gave her 2 choices. Put the shoes on herself or say please if she needed my assitance. The rest of it was on her.

By the way, our conversation at outdoor play time today.

Her - I dont think I need the thinking chair today. Will you help me put my shoes on
Me - I'd be happy to help if you ask please
Her - Pretty Please
Me - Yes I will. High 5. Your choices today make me smile! We really missed you playing with us yesterday!

Then she let out that lovely kid giggle they do when they are tickled with themselves.
daycare 04:10 PM 03-14-2012
Oh I almost cracked about every 15 minutes. Then I realized I was not punishing her. To go out to play we need shoes on. I gave her 2 choices. Put the shoes on herself or say please if she needed my assitance. The rest of it was on her.

Her - I dont think I need the thinking chair today. Will you help me put my shoes on
Her - Pretty Please
Me - Yes I will. High 5. Your choices today make me smile! We really missed you playing with us yesterday!

Then she let out that lovely kid giggle they do when they are tickled with themselves.
awe that is sooo cute.
Heidi 06:20 PM 03-14-2012

Her - Pretty Please

awesome! You should meet my G (dck) she is awesome, but SOOOO stubborn! Too bad mom doesn't see how she enables it, because this little girl is so smart, and such a pain in the tookis sometimes!
Meyou 02:55 AM 03-15-2012
Another meanie here!!

I had an interview last night and when we were discussing disipline I went over the various techniques I use but then summed it up by saying that the kids learn very quickly that if they listen they have a super fun day but if they chose not to listen....not so much. I even used outside and shoes as an example which is too funny!
nannyde 05:05 AM 03-15-2012
I don't like investing too much energy into stuff like this.

I have five here that talk all the time. I would gladly trade for one who refused to talk to me.

I don't do "please" and "thank you" so I don't expect that of them.

I would require her to hang up her jacket. If she said get me a drink I would get a small glass of warm water.

With every rude statement I would do "you talkin to ME?" and then turn away from her and go about my business.

Then I would make a big deal of the other kids talking to me and how nice they said this or that.

It sounds like she's marking her spot with you and showing you who is in charge. She just needs to learn that she's not. I would meet her with sterness in my body language... direct eye contact that didn't give up until she looked away... and I would say what I needed to her and then turn and walk away from her. I would boss her around a good portion of the day on the little things that don't matter. I would also have her do a good bit of cleaning and organizing. I would serve her last at every meal and have her remain until last to get up. I would offer new toys to the others and have her sit and watch them... again she gets them last. I would have the youngest walker be her main play mate.

I would do this for a week or so until I saw her soften. She needs to come to YOU with requests for her to join the group with you as the leader. In order to be in my group and reap the benefits of my group you have to respect the leader. Putting her at the very very back of the pack gives her the experience of watching those ahead of her. That posistion will teach her how to behave towards you better than your words ever could.
Kaddidle Care 05:25 AM 03-15-2012
haha! NannyDe, you remind me of the NILIF method in dog training. "Nothing in life is free"

It works and I use a lot of the same things when training.

I work similarly with our children. No manners? "I'm sorry, I can't HEAR you." No manners again - "Did you leave your manners at home?"

"Gimme" and "I want" gives you nothing in my book. It's amazing how many children are not taught proper manners but they learn it very quickly.

Like in dog training, the child that's ignoring you and being disrespectful doesn't get the attention that they are so seeking. You keep an eye on them with a sideways glance to make sure they aren't getting into trouble and then fawn over the ones behaving nicely. They catch on.

I may not be #1 favorite Teacher but when they behave, we have loads of fun!
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 03-15-2012
Ok I am loving BOTH Nan and Kadiddle's posts but I think I need one of you to walk me through the actual script I need to use with one of my DCB's. Here is the daily convo at lunch;

DCB: I want more noodles
Me: What do ou say?
DCB: more noodles
Me: What is the magic word?
DCB: Please

Now, I HATE that whole conversation but I don't really know the right words to say. I HATE saying what's the "magic word"? I feel like that teaches the kids nothing about manners....just the "cue" word so they know what to say. I want then to know what they are suppose to say without me having to cue them all the time. Shouldn't "Please" and "thank you" be something they learn once and use on their own without continuous prompting all the time?

Now this DCB I am referring to has been here with me his entire life ALL day M-F and I have been cueing him the whole time.....
SilverSabre25 06:35 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok I am loving BOTH Nan and Kadiddle's posts but I think I need one of you to walk me through the actual script I need to use with one of my DCB's. Here is the daily convo at lunch;

Now, I HATE that whole conversation but I don't really know the right words to say. I HATE saying what's the "magic word"? I feel like that teaches the kids nothing about manners....just the "cue" word so they know what to say. I want then to know what they are suppose to say without me having to cue them all the time. Shouldn't "Please" and "thank you" be something they learn once and use on their own without continuous prompting all the time?

Now this DCB I am referring to has been here with me his entire life ALL day M-F and I have been cueing him the whole time.....
Things like that, if the tone of the initial statment "I want more noodles" was okay, I will give them while saying, "I want more noodles, please!" in a cheery, happy voice. That usually results in a "please" from the child. Then, if they don't spontaneously say thank you, I say, "Thank you [Silver]!" which usually results in a thank you from the child.

If they were rude/snotty with the initial statment, I usually say, "I'm sorry, I can't hear you when you say it like that. You need to say please." This works most of the time.

I make sure to be as polite as pie to them, so they have the modelling of it. Too many people expect children to automatically have these polite scripts, but never model it to the children!
MrsB 07:45 AM 03-15-2012
I pretty much do what Silver does. Once I know they know the whole correct sentence, After the first inital "I want more noodles" I respond "try again". It usually is prompting enough to get them to say. "May I please have more noodles"

In the kitchen I have 4 aprons and 4 "alter egos". Each one has a different voice/name/apron. Each one pushes their own special kitchen manners/habits. The kids absolutely love it! I think the robot one is their favorite. One of Robots specialties is asking nicely with please and thank you. Robot doesnt work without lots of nice voices may I's, pleases, and thank-yous.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 03-15-2012
I do it very similar to that too but really HOW long do you continuously have to model this (or say the words as cues) before the child "gets it" and starts to remember to say "Please" and "thank you" on their own...kwim?

I have never had a kid take sooooooo long to pick up on it. I mean I do it, his day friends do it, his younger sister (22 mos) does it, so unless it is simply this particular child, what else can I do?

I hate that I have to always remind him. Of course, mom SAYS he does it without reminding at home but I know better.....

I was just hoping that there was kind of an easy fix to this... This kid is simply exhausting.....
nannyde 08:18 AM 03-15-2012

That would go more like this:

DCB: i want more noodles
Nan: That'll cost you twelve dollah dollah bills.
DCB: I don't have any money nan
Nan: Yes you do they are in your pockets
DCB: I don't have any pockets
Nan: Yes you do... I see them right there (point to invisible pockets). I see your dollah dollah bills in there too. Please hand em over. (put my hand in money receiving position)
DCB: Oh... here's twelve dollars.
Nan: Naw... you have to count them out.
DCB: One... two... three etc.
Nan: Thank you SO much for the dollah dollah bills. I'm now going to buy myself a new puppy.

Give kid more noodles and he says "thank you so much for the noodles nan"

Then I have them commit to the true fact that I'm the worlds greatest noodle maker AND the best cooker in the history of mankind.

The whole point is to show him the lightheartedness, kindness, and softness in the request. I show him what I want and he gives me a thank you.

I think it's better to turn convos like this into a light exchange and just show them day by day what you want.

Over time the convo would be: Nan you are the best noodle maker... I love myself your noodles. I could eat some if you have some more.

Something like that.
Heidi 08:32 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That would go more like this:

DCB: i want more noodles
Nan: That'll cost you twelve dollah dollah bills.
DCB: I don't have any money nan
Nan: Yes you do they are in your pockets
DCB: I don't have any pockets
Nan: Yes you do... I see them right there (point to invisible pockets). I see your dollah dollah bills in there too. Please hand em over. (put my hand in money receiving position)
DCB: Oh... here's twelve dollars.
Nan: Naw... you have to count them out.
DCB: One... two... three etc.
Nan: Thank you SO much for the dollah dollah bills. I'm now going to buy myself a new puppy.

Give kid more noodles and he says "thank you so much for the noodles nan"

Then I have them commit to the true fact that I'm the worlds greatest noodle maker AND the best cooker in the history of mankind.

The whole point is to show him the lightheartedness, kindness, and softness in the request. I show him what I want and he gives me a thank you.

I think it's better to turn convos like this into a light exchange and just show them day by day what you want.

Over time the convo would be: Nan you are the best noodle maker... I love myself your noodles. I could eat some if you have some more.

Something like that.
Wow...just wow...

Nan, sometimes you come off as quite a tough guy in your posts, but then I read this kind of thing, and I realize that although you have very strong ideas, you're really very sweet!
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Wow...just wow...

Nan, sometimes you come off as quite a tough guy in your posts, but then I read this kind of thing, and I realize that although you have very strong ideas, you're really very sweet!
I can verify this too!!! Nan might sound all tough and stuff when it comes to rules and policies but when it comes to her kiddos, she is the biggest softie in the whole wide world!!

I have spoken with Nan on the phone many many times and she is SUPER sweet, VERY caring and has the most gentle welcoming tone!

Basically, Nan rocks!!!!!
MrsB 09:26 AM 03-15-2012
I can verify this too!!! Nan might sound all tough and stuff when it comes to rules and policies but when it comes to her kiddos, she is the biggest softie in the whole wide world!!

I have spoken with Nan on the phone many many times and she is SUPER sweet, VERY caring and has the most gentle welcoming tone!

Basically, Nan rocks!!!!!
Yes! Yes! what she said! I wanna be Nan when I grow up!
MizzCheryl 09:38 AM 03-15-2012
I wanna stay at NannyDe's daycare. Sounds like you guys have a ball.
Kaddidle Care 04:06 PM 03-15-2012

Magic word... hehe! We used to have a little boy that would respond: "Abracadabra!" Hard not to laugh at that one.

Maybe sing them an annoying song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaP-FtVf-aY

Lots of suggestions here:
http://www.preschooleducation.com/smanners.shtml
Hunni Bee 05:23 PM 03-15-2012
In the kitchen I have 4 aprons and 4 "alter egos". Each one has a different voice/name/apron. Each one pushes their own special kitchen manners/habits. The kids absolutely love it! I think the robot one is their favorite. One of Robots specialties is asking nicely with please and thank you. Robot doesnt work without lots of nice voices may I's, pleases, and thank-yous.
Please tell me more about this...it sounds adorable! And like a idea I may want to try.

I don't do a lot of forced pleases, thank-you's or sorry's either. Most of mine say it automatically, but if they say "Ms. _____, may I have some more corn?" without the "please", its good enough for me, as long as they say it in a nice tone. If they say it in a demanding way, I just say "I don't think that's the way we ask." and they change it.
SilverSabre25 06:01 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I don't do a lot of forced pleases, thank-you's or sorry's either. Most of mine say it automatically, but if they say "Ms. _____, may I have some more corn?" without the "please", its good enough for me, as long as they say it in a nice tone. If they say it in a demanding way, I just say "I don't think that's the way we ask." and they change it.
Yes, this!

It *is* possible to be polite without saying please.
smb757 08:01 PM 03-15-2012
I'm big on manners. I use please and thank you a lot and often prompt my dcks to use them as well. In fact, I am often complimented on my own children's manners. I have one dcb who is 4. When he started he would constantly complain about lunch. He only wanted hot dogs, Mac & cheese, canned ravioli, etc. But, I explained to him that while it was okay to say he didn't care for certain things, it was not okay to say things were gross or nasty. I explained to him that he certainly was not required to eat lunch & would take his plate of he continued. (I didn't feel bad about it because he leaves at 12:30). In the 6 months he's been with me, he has made vast improvements. He now tries his fruits & veggie without me even asking!!
spud912 10:54 PM 03-15-2012
I usually say "how do you ask nicely?" when the children demand things. That's enough to prompt "may I please . . . ?" Usually they say "thank you," but they sometimes need a "what do you say?" prompt. I also require a "yes, please" or a "no thank you" when I ask them a yes/no question.

I am very big on manners here and am proud to say my kiddos have come a long way! It usually takes a month to change any behavior.
MrsB 07:11 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Please tell me more about this...it sounds adorable! And like a idea I may want to try.

Well, its nothing really that involved its just there are a few voices that I do that the kids have always responded too and see it has kind of just evolved into this thing we do.

robot - talk in a monotone voice, do stiff arm movements. Robot is really good at pleases and thank yous and your welcolmes. When I hear lots of them I will speed very quickly and talk in a monotone voice quickly giving lots of praises. If I here a demand or I want instead of may i. I start to sloooow down.
old lady w/english accent - she practices proper table ettiquete. sit up straight, napkin on your lap, bottoms on chairs, using forks and spoons not fingers. Like say if i start to see them start to get antsy I will start to slow down the food making process and hold my back "oowwwch"
Donald duck voice - he practices saying nice things to people and giving compliments. This one is a little less involved. But I give random compliments at the lunch table in my donald duck voice. Like "Emma you look really pretty in your red shirt today" or " Michael I enjoyed building a castle with you today" The kids really try to start doing their own too. one time one of my 3 year olds said to one of my fit throwers. "Johnnie I am glad you didnt have to sit on the thinking chair today"

You can't just do it the whole lunch time or even everyday though and you can't do it on request either, they will become obsessed with it and totally lose the point. When they say "do the robot" I always say " I dont know what your talking about" So I make it seem like these characters are taking over my body and I dont have any control over it. Its fun too, to ask them about the character. They will tell you everything about each one.

It might be easier to start out with just one, and work on that one for a few weeks. Then when you add the second character they will learn to keep a heads up as to what type of lesson they are supposed to learn from this character.
Tags:4 year old, ignores provider, won't talk
Reply Up