Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 Year Old Has Many Accidents
mommyvaz 09:44 PM 10-29-2012
i have a 4 year old in my home daycare who has multiple pee and poop accidents. some days he has been good, so I know he can do it.
He tells me he does it because he doesnt want to stop playing.Even if I tell him to go he will still have accidents.
Mom doesnt seem to care. And she refuses to use pull ups.
im at my end. I feel like all i do is clean up after him. not fair to the other kids in my care. would you kick him out of your home daycare center?
Michael 10:35 PM 10-29-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
daycarediva 03:35 AM 10-30-2012
I require pullups or training pants with plastic covers until a child is pretty much accident free. I would require a plastic cover at minimum at this point.

That being said, is he having this amount of accidents at home? I wouldn't even consider him trained at that point if I was the dcm. If he is having that # of accidents at home/at daycare I would ask what her pediatrician thought and rule out any medical reasons behind it.

I would also start a reward chart, stickers for every time he goes in the potty. If he gets 10 stickers(or has no accidents, whatever goal you decide to set), he gets to pick from a small prize box. This worked INCREDIBLY well for my ds, dcb and dcg. I pt'ed them all at the same time. That was over a year ago, and I can count on one hand the number of accidents that each of them has had.
AnneCordelia 04:40 AM 10-30-2012
Until a child is accident free for two weeks I require pull ups to attend my daycare.

Its not fair to me or the other children for me to spend all my time cleaning up.accidents. Its also not fair to my home.
countrymom 04:59 AM 10-30-2012
do you have schedual bathroom time. Try that. I change my babies every 2 hours (and inbetween if need be) but then he would have to go. My dcg's family did the sticker reward thing, well everytime she went to the bathroom she expected to get a treat (they were giving her fruit snacks) it totally defeated the purpose and the fact that they are expensive. So I would bring him (walk with him) to the bathroom. You can also do a timer.
Crystal 08:06 AM 10-30-2012
The child is not adequately trained. Mom would not be given a choice, other than, the child wears pullups or doesn't attend care. It would not matter the reason for the accidents, I would not allow a child to continuously have accidents on my floors/furnishings, etc. It is unsanitary, it is not acceptable having to clean it up all day and it is taking time away from being with the children.

I would insist on pull-ups and restart the potty training process.
Tags:4 year old, potty accidents
Reply Up