Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Extended Business Hours?
KEG123 06:02 PM 01-20-2013
So right now I'm licensed from 6am-6pm. As I've talked about in my other posts, I'm having a hard time filling my spots, and I DESPERATELY need to fill them. I am empty and have been for going on 2 weeks now.

Anyways, so I was debating getting my hours extended to hopefully reel in some customers that have trouble fitting into the standard daycare hours. Well, Friday I put up some flyers (one of my points said "Flexible hours" since I was planning on trying to get my hours extended anyways) and wouldn't you know, the first person who called me today says she was looking for hours to go until 7:15-7:30. Meaning another hour and a half or so. Not really too bad at all. It'll cut into our nightly routines a bit (primarily bath time)

So I'm going to put in a call to my licensing rep on Tuesday. But until then I thought I'd ask you all how difficult it was to extend my hours. I am in IL. So any help or input on what your state needs (if anything?!) would be awesome!

And anyone have later hours and kids of your own? My 2 kids are 15 months and 4.5 years. We normally do bath around 7 and bed by 8. How do you do bath time when you are watching daycare kids? My bathroom is off of my kitchen, which the kitchen is next to the daycare area. I don't feel comfortable letting the kids play in the kitchen though it is baby proof. Ideas?
cheerfuldom 08:17 PM 01-20-2013
my experience is that with young kids in the house, it gets old for both you and your children to have daycare kids there for so long each day. I understand feeling like you have to do things for the sake of finances though. I would use bath time as tv time for the daycare kids. If it is younger kid that you cant trust to leave alone to watch a show, you can put them in a high chair or booster seat so they cant wander off. as long as you keep baths quick, i dont see that this should be a huge issue. your daycare parents need to realize that if children are there after a certain point, they are then put on your own familys schedule and need to work around that. you cant be entertaining kids for 12 hours a day.
Nickel 08:31 PM 01-20-2013
I know you really need children, but I would take some time to think about it. Working that long is tough. Especially if you get another child that needs to be dropped off at 6am. It's also more difficult to do anything with your own children or even run a quick errand.

I had 2 of my friends children here until 7 or 8 some nights and it was HARD... I worked all day and all evening. I had to drag them to swim lessons and entertain them while trying to watch my daughter swim. I had to cook supper for them and sacrifice my family time. It was hard on me and also on my own children. It's a very long day for them as well. They are "working" almost as much as you are... jmho
nanglgrl 08:59 PM 01-20-2013
I agree with the other posters. I used to do 1st/2nd shift and it wears on you and your children. Eventually you will get families that fit your schedule and then it will be hard to let your second shift child go. There will always be some reason to keep them until eventually you start realizing all that you have been sacrificing. In my experience parents that need 2nd shift rarely have back up childcare and the kids always seem to become ill at your house. Not fun.
Did you just open your daycare 2 weeks ago? If so give it a while. A lot of people think it's an easy business to start but I think it takes at least a year to get full and then another year (if you use your backbone) to get the right clients. Calls for childcare seem to come in waves with the next one being about a month before school lets out for summer break.
MN Mom 09:02 PM 01-20-2013
I agree with the other posters in evaluating those hours a bit. That potential client wants care for almost 12 hours which (imho) is WAAAY to long of a day for a little one to be away from a parent. It WILL cause issues with your night time routine for your own children. Not to mention potential behavior problems of the child in your care due to not enough mom and dad time. If your children's bedtime is at 8pm..you only get 30min of one-on-one time before the daycare routine starts all over again the next day. This, in my experience, could cause behavior problems in your own children...not to mention possible resentment problems in your personal life.

The hours look like the dck will be in your home for breakfast, lunch, and supper. That's a lot of extra food money for you on a yearly basis, unless you are on the food program and they cover all 3 meals, plus 2 (or 3 snacks). I would evaluate that cost and charge extra for it. What about evening family activities? Are you willing to incorporate the DCK into those activities or will you forgo them altogether?

I did care until 9-10pm for a year for one family (my other family started at 7am and were done at 3:30/4pm). My days were LONG and I was under so much stress from having to be on guard for so many hours of the day. I had NO time to myself, or to go to my kids activities. I missed out on a lot. It was tiresome, and eventually led me to terming my own niece.

I would think very hard about doing those types of hours without proper compensation for starters. What if, after you take on this client, you get another who wants to start at your normal time of 6am? How will that extra hour affect your well being? What if that 2nd client starts at 6 but is gone by 3, and the 12hour kid still has 4 1/2 hours till mom/dad can pick up. You will think to yourself "Boy it sure would be nice if little johnny/jenny could be picked up by 2pm! I could get SO MUCH MORE done if they were gone!" and then you'll be back on here asking us how to write a term letter because you aren't happy!

Please. I beg you. Just think very hard about all the pros and cons before you do this. And make sure you are properly compensated, have a good contract, and a good backbone on late pickups and drop offs, and enforce those rules. That is a lot of time in your day to be dedicating to another child (or children) and it can wear you out lest you be prepared.
Unregistered 09:02 PM 01-20-2013
Yeah I figure it wont be easy. But the way I look at it is that I need the money and bad. As horrible as that sounds its the truth. If it doesn't work out I can keep looking for kids to take their spot during the day or offer them to stay but change hours. Either way there is always an out if it doesn't work out.
Unregistered 09:06 PM 01-20-2013
And sorry but to clarify they'll only need care from 10-7:15. Ive been licensed for 2 years. I just split with the ex who has no job/ way to help financially for the children which is why getting kids in the door is absolutely necessary to our survival.
Unregistered 09:10 PM 01-20-2013
I guess I'm looking more for the licensing standpoint of things. Is it so simple as calling my Rep and its done or is there more paperwork or anything ill need to do?
laundrymom 04:11 AM 01-21-2013
Every state is different. My licensor (in) told me I didn't have to change my hours for my 330 am dropoff kid because he was the only one here & at that point I was doing legally unlicensed care. And converting to licensed care at 530.
BumbleBee 04:34 AM 01-21-2013
If the family needs care starting at 10am, is there any way you can push your opening time back? Instead of 6am, maybe 7:30? Just a thought but I know it depends on what families call for care.

It stinks when we're in a position of NEEDING kids to make ends meet. *hugs*

I have no advice on the licensing thing or the bathtime for your kids & bedtime routine.
KEG123 06:15 AM 01-21-2013
Well I am licensed from 6-6. I've never had anyone here that early. The earliest was 6:50. And they obviously aren't here anymore. My other 2 families were 7:15 and 7:45. I do think that if anyone else were to inquire about daycare, I'd make sure they're here no earlier than 7, with closer to 8 being preference. Of course, at this point its all moot point. I have had no other calls lately, at least nothing that anyone has followed through with. I think dinner time will be easy to handle. Bath time is my only concern, and that isn't EVERY night. I think I may do like pp said, and put one in a highchair (9 month old) and then have the 2 year old either play or hang out and watch tv. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear and figure out what works best for us.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I know it won't be easy. I never really wanted to take kids later, but that was before my situation changed. And if I can get 2 kids in one "pop" then even better, imo.
Reply Up