Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Website Lists All Citations/Complaints for CA Providers
Unregistered 02:19 PM 07-29-2014
I am a licensed home daycare provider in California. I'm a "small" family child care home operator, which means I am licensed for up to 8.

Yesterday I received a letter regarding a new website that is now up and running which lists all family daycare homes in the state of California - along with each providers record of citations and complaints - going back five years.

Although I personally have no complaints or citations on my record, I think this site could sometimes confuse parents who are looking for daycare. There are different categories of citations, Type A (immediate danger to children) and Type B (usually paperwork types of infractions). Many parents, however, will not distinguish any difference between the two - and many parents will not take the time to follow up with Licensing for a more detailed breakdown of a provider's licensing record.

So I guess I am conflicted about this new site. I think it can be a good resource - BUT I also think it will result in the unfair blacklisting of many competent, quality providers.

I'm wondering what my fellow California providers' thoughts are about the new website, as all of us were supposed to have gotten that letter.
NightOwl 04:25 PM 07-29-2014
Wow. I'm in alabama, but I see what you're saying. Potential parents can just glance down a list and mentally eliminate those with citations, even if it's actually something as small as a missing piece of paper.
hope 04:31 PM 07-29-2014
This could be useful depending on its format. I would be proud to be on the list with no citations. But just like everything else, it all depends on the interpretation of the reader. It can be scary if done wrong.
ACH247 05:44 PM 07-29-2014
Texas does this already for centers and home daycares. It lists all inspections and violations. They have been doing it for years. I used it to find my daycare and I still check it every once in a while.
Michelle 11:30 PM 07-29-2014
I think it's great!!!
I don't have any violations but parents don't even ask for my license number and checked up before and I doubt they will now

But I can see how some providers might not like it.
I wonder if there will be a way providers can explain things on there too.. such as a missing paper or if a parent has excuse after excuse as to why they can't bring in their immunization record

I once had a analyst ask me why there was a piece of bacon on the floor in the playroom and I told her it was "play bacon" it was right in front of the kitchen set. So, sometimes you can get a quiet analyst that just walks around and writes down everything without asking for clarification and that could be devastating to someones business

I always take the proactive approach and I guide her from room to room pointing out the new paint, new improvements, and how I made things even better and safer than the last inspection. That way I am in control in my own home and it makes the inspection go by quickly.
So, just remember to keep the house very clean ( even if you have to destroy the planet with paper plates) and keep up with your records and CPR and you should be O.K.
MissAnn 04:27 AM 07-30-2014
I've seen some ridiculous "violations" listed such as a child not signed in and a stained carpet.
Annalee 05:04 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I think it's great!!!
I don't have any violations but parents don't even ask for my license number and checked up before and I doubt they will now

But I can see how some providers might not like it.
I wonder if there will be a way providers can explain things on there too.. such as a missing paper or if a parent has excuse after excuse as to why they can't bring in their immunization record

I once had a analyst ask me why there was a piece of bacon on the floor in the playroom and I told her it was "play bacon" it was right in front of the kitchen set. So, sometimes you can get a quiet analyst that just walks around and writes down everything without asking for clarification and that could be devastating to someones business

I always take the proactive approach and I guide her from room to room pointing out the new paint, new improvements, and how I made things even better and safer than the last inspection. That way I am in control in my own home and it makes the inspection go by quickly.
So, just remember to keep the house very clean ( even if you have to destroy the planet with paper plates) and keep up with your records and CPR and you should be O.K.
In a perfect world this works, but we change licensing persons regularly here and many times each have a different pet peeve....I do not have violations listed either and am a 22 year provider but I am very leery because there are licensing persons now being sent unannounced to makes sure the original licensor is "doing their job".....I like to call them the daycare troopers. They come 6 times unannounced a year already and 4 if you are the highest star....I think the process is rediculous!!!!! Go get those illegally unlicensed persons and leave us alone!!!!
Annalee 05:09 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I've seen some ridiculous "violations" listed such as a child not signed in and a stained carpet.
Right there with you in TN, Miss Ann, I have seen those and I consider some of the violations crazy.....I understand supervision, child/adult ratio, no paperwork but violations for no toilet paper, a burning candle, not doing diapering correct on assessment, etc. are just too crazy!!!!! If assessors can turn us in on assessment day, well, I want go into that!!!!??????? Assessment and licensing need to meet in the middle or get on the same page!!!
Cat Herder 06:18 AM 07-30-2014
We have had this for quite a while along with a google map street view of our home WITH driving directions. I just love it (>>sarcasm warning<<<) .

The violations are one thing... eh, I am simply used to it.... but the violation of my privacy with the link to driving directions and photos are creepy to me.

I guess this is simply the world we live in now, though. Even without the State linking it, all of this info is already available online SOMEWHERE.
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 07-30-2014
I think posting violations and citations on line is a good thing.

Parents should look at these things and communicate with their prospective provider (or current one) about anything they may had a citation for.

I think providing information to parents is a good thing.

I totally understand some of you not liking the maps/driving directions being posted etc type stuff but I guess we do live in a technology driven world where nothing other than our own thoughts are guaranteed to be truly private.

I also think that if we choose to open our homes up as a business, it is just part of the game. Business info is generally "public" information.
Annalee 06:27 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think posting violations and citations on line is a good thing.

Parents should look at these things and communicate with their prospective provider (or current one) about anything they may had a citation for.

I think providing information to parents is a good thing.

I totally understand some of you not liking the maps/driving directions being posted etc type stuff but I guess we do live in a technology driven world where nothing other than our own thoughts are guaranteed to be truly private.

I also think that if we choose to open our homes up as a business, it is just part of the game. Business info is generally "public" information.
I believe the bold comment when common sense is used but if I ever get wrote up for no toilet paper, I am asking for that in writing because it is NO WHERE in the guidelines.....actually the only guidelines I have are the ones I was given back in 1992, they were revised in 2009 but still no toilet paper rule.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I believe the bold comment when common sense is used but if I ever get wrote up for no toilet paper, I am asking for that in writing because it is NO WHERE in the guidelines.....actually the only guidelines I have are the ones I was given back in 1992, they were revised in 2009 but still no toilet paper rule.
Yeah, but you live in cray cray world....I've heard about your licensing etc...

You by far have it worse than anyone I've ever heard about.

I genuinely feel for you and all the other providers in your area willing to stay in the business despite the daycare licensing gestapo you have there.

Luckily none of our citations are posted until the entire process (appeals and all) is completed and the complaint is founded.

If I was cited for something not found in writing in my state regulations, I would fight it tooth and nail before I was okay with it being posted.
Annalee 07:04 AM 07-30-2014

I genuinely feel for you and all the other providers in your area willing to stay in the business despite the daycare licensing gestapo you have there.

Luckily none of our citations are posted until the entire process (appeals and all) is completed and the complaint is founded.

If I was cited for something not found in writing in my state regulations, I would fight it tooth and nail before I was okay with it being posted
I guess my state was the guinea pig for the QRIS... And yes, I do join along in the professional fight, but I have to say the fight has took out wonderful providers along the way! I am still hanging and plan to stay with it, but I do feel as QRIS becomes prevalent in other states, they will follow TN path....and I feel for you all!!!
crazydaycarelady 07:31 AM 07-30-2014
We have a website like that in my state too. It is not well done though because I know providers who have had complaints or infractions and they are not listed. Then you have the ones who have an infraction like a missing paper or parents signature and that shows up as a deficiency.

Speaking of Google street view - I HATE our street view! My hubby is a police officer and must have been home at the time the pic was taken. So there is my "daycare" with a police car parked out front. I wonder how any clients that has scared away?!?
daycarediva 09:35 AM 07-30-2014
Omg crazydaycarelady .... Hilarious!!! Sorry though!!!

We have it as well. It goes back 2 years I think(?). I have one citation for the fax machine cutting off the end if a paper/missing half the physicians signature. Annoying!!

My stalker/copycat lady who runs a daycare has numerous ones, including ratio and operating illegally without a license. ( has since become licensed) lol!!!
Play Care 09:53 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Omg crazydaycarelady .... Hilarious!!! Sorry though!!!

We have it as well. It goes back 2 years I think(?). I have one citation for the fax machine cutting off the end if a paper/missing half the physicians signature. Annoying!!

My stalker/copycat lady who runs a daycare has numerous ones, including ratio and operating illegally without a license. ( has since become licensed) lol!!!
I don't know how often people actually *use* the site. I recall it not being very user friendly.
My main issue is that the write up wording often makes the violation appear worse than what the provider was actually cited for, KWIM?
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:

Speaking of Google street view - I HATE our street view! My hubby is a police officer and must have been home at the time the pic was taken. So there is my "daycare" with a police car parked out front. I wonder how any clients that has scared away?!?
Use that as a marketing tool!

"Secure daycare". "On-site police officer!" etc...

I'd say it was a perk not something that would scare off parents
daycarediva 10:08 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I don't know how often people actually *use* the site. I recall it not being very user friendly.
My main issue is that the write up wording often makes the violation appear worse than what the provider was actually cited for, KWIM?
Yes, I completely agree! There has been a push locally to boost parents knowledge of the website. If you call r&r, they direct you to the website!
Naptime yet? 10:08 AM 07-30-2014
I sometimes wish Maryland's site was more detailed or specific in its posting of violations.

I was cited for something that was easily corrected, but the violation sounds much worse than it was on the website.
Annalee 10:10 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
I sometimes wish Maryland's site was more detailed or specific in its posting of violations.

I was cited for something that was easily corrected, but the violation sounds much worse than it was on the website.
This is happening in TN as well.......my food lady has 50 child cares in an 8 county radius and only 8 are licensed and the others are counting nonrelated children as related to keep up to 7....SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THAT! LICENSING NEEDS TO PUT THEIR EXTRA VISITS ON THESE PERSONS, BUT NO!!!!!!
daycare 10:24 AM 07-30-2014
Use that as a marketing tool!

"Secure daycare". "On-site police officer!" etc...

I'd say it was a perk not something that would scare off parents
thats what I was thinking too...but this would only work if they knew that before seeing the picture...
MissAnn 11:33 AM 07-30-2014
I guess my state was the guinea pig for the QRIS... And yes, I do join along in the professional fight, but I have to say the fight has took out wonderful providers along the way! I am still hanging and plan to stay with it, but I do feel as QRIS becomes prevalent in other states, they will follow TN path....and I feel for you all!!!
Pure culture shock!
AmyKidsCo 11:42 AM 07-30-2014
We have that in WI too and it sucks because the last 4 visits are kept up. My old licensor came 2x/year so if I had a problem it'd take 2 years to drop off the site. My current licensor only comes 1x/year so it'll be 4 years before a problem will disappear off the site. Sadly, she's got a reputation for not leaving until she finds a problem to write up so I've resigned myself to always having something "wrong" on the website.
Annalee 11:44 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
We have that in WI too and it sucks because the last 4 visits are kept up. My old licensor came 2x/year so if I had a problem it'd take 2 years to drop off the site. My current licensor only comes 1x/year so it'll be 4 years before a problem will disappear off the site. Sadly, she's got a reputation for not leaving until she finds a problem to write up so I've resigned myself to always having something "wrong" on the website.
Violations here don't go off, but it does list the date of correction!??!!
MissAnn 11:51 AM 07-30-2014
A friend of mine took 3 steps on to her deck to get something and her PE was driving up....all kids asleep.......supervision violation.....and yes, on there apparently on there forever.
Annalee 11:54 AM 07-30-2014
A friend of mine took 3 steps on to her deck to get something and her PE was driving up....all kids asleep.......supervision violation.....and yes, on there apparently on there forever.
AND SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THAT!!!
crazydaycarelady 01:16 PM 07-30-2014
See something like that happened here too. A provider had a kid leave her house, yard, and was found on the hwy. She got supervision violations as well, but it was a lot different than your friend.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:03 PM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
We have a website like that in my state too. It is not well done though because I know providers who have had complaints or infractions and they are not listed. Then you have the ones who have an infraction like a missing paper or parents signature and that shows up as a deficiency.

That means you are safe!
SignMeUp 06:54 PM 07-30-2014
I've seen "food on the floor" and "dirty dishes in sink".
Um, write me up
That's about three hours a day here
SignMeUp 07:03 PM 07-30-2014

If I was cited for something not found in writing in my state regulations, I would fight it tooth and nail before I was okay with it being posted.
Letters of temporary suspension/suspension are posted here, before appeal. Sometimes there is great detail (what date/s the licensor came out and what they saw, along with citing the laws violated), but in the most serious cases, it's all private and no real info is given.
Is it different where you are?
SignMeUp 07:08 PM 07-30-2014
We have to post copies at each entrance to our home for two years.
Heidi 07:22 PM 07-30-2014
In case anyone is interested, here is ours. It also lists your "standing" in the stars program. They are in order from 5 stars alphabetically, then 4 alphabetically, and so on.

I just did a search for all providers in Madison. If you click on any one provider, you can see their violation and the detail on how they achieved their stars. Most of the 5 star programs are nationally accredited, which automatically makes you either a 4 or a 5, depending on education.

http://childcarefinder.wisconsin.gov...V8MHxifDB8MA==
daycarediva 03:54 AM 07-31-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
In case anyone is interested, here is ours. It also lists your "standing" in the stars program. They are in order from 5 stars alphabetically, then 4 alphabetically, and so on.

I just did a search for all providers in Madison. If you click on any one provider, you can see their violation and the detail on how they achieved their stars. Most of the 5 star programs are nationally accredited, which automatically makes you either a 4 or a 5, depending on education.

http://childcarefinder.wisconsin.gov...V8MHxifDB8MA==
clicked the first one...wow those don't look good!
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 07-31-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Letters of temporary suspension/suspension are posted here, before appeal. Sometimes there is great detail (what date/s the licensor came out and what they saw, along with citing the laws violated), but in the most serious cases, it's all private and no real info is given.
Is it different where you are?
I get those kinds of notices from DHS too as part of their e-mailing system for licensed providers but I don't think that info is available to the public on the licensing look up site. I could be totally wrong but I've tried to search there before and have only been able to find the results or final decisions and not the appeals info.

Also some of the temporary suspensions are posted but not in detail like the e-mails I get of recent citations.
MarinaVanessa 12:08 AM 08-01-2014
I'm in CA and have that letter. Licensing has asked for providers to test the site and offer feedback before they announce it to the public. I think it's a good thing as long as they include the report online for viewing. Simply stating "class A violation" doesn't fly with me. You could get a class A for leaving a steak knife out within reach or for having a dead battery on your smoke alarm. I think parents would want to know what the citation was for.
Unregistered 06:03 AM 08-01-2014
I get those kinds of notices from DHS too as part of their e-mailing system for licensed providers but I don't think that info is available to the public on the licensing look up site. I could be totally wrong but I've tried to search there before and have only been able to find the results or final decisions and not the appeals info.

Also some of the temporary suspensions are posted but not in detail like the e-mails I get of recent citations.
It is on the licensing lookup.
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It is on the licensing lookup.
Hmm, good to know. (chalk this up to learning something new every day )

I guess maybe I am just not seeing it because I rarely look anyone in my area up and those who do have things listed aren't big things so I've never read a temp order citation posted on the look up site for a provider in my community.

Maybe I need to just read provider profiles in other areas...

I always filter the search results to my zipcode or county only.
I suppose your area/county being huge makes a difference with there being so many providers.

I'll have to go look around that site more.....just out of curiosity more than anything.
daycare 07:36 AM 08-01-2014
I tested it out and found a flaw.
I don't go by my legal name so if you put in my "nickname" that I have gone by for almost 20 years then you won't find me
It does come up by my address, but then it shows a name no one knows.

There is no law using my nickname as long as it's not on a legal document.
daycare 08:31 AM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't go by my legal name so if you put in my "nickname" that I have gone by for almost 20 years then you won't find me

and I wanted to add that since I just moved, I now have a new LIC number. It does not show that I has a previous license, so it looks like I have only been in business for about a month............
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 08-01-2014

We have to post our license where parents can see it and my full legal name is written on the license so I wouldn't be able to get away with that.
daycare 10:14 AM 08-01-2014
We have to post our license where parents can see it and my full legal name is written on the license so I wouldn't be able to get away with that.
Same here but no one had ever questioned ever.
I always point it out too

New parents looking that have yet to come to my home would not be aware of this
I learned very early tht my legal name often came with a lot of discrimination so I don't use it anymore, again unless it's for legal /gov docs
Unregistered 11:08 AM 08-01-2014
Hmm, good to know. (chalk this up to learning something new every day )

I guess maybe I am just not seeing it because I rarely look anyone in my area up and those who do have things listed aren't big things so I've never read a temp order citation posted on the look up site for a provider in my community.

Maybe I need to just read provider profiles in other areas...

I always filter the search results to my zipcode or county only.
I suppose your area/county being huge makes a difference with there being so many providers.

I'll have to go look around that site more.....just out of curiosity more than anything.
Most of the violations that I've read were not in my county. Who knows, maybe them being so strict prevents some of the big issues. It just seems like they are strict on unimportant things, and lax on really big issues (like people who have police records being licensed)
Unregistered 11:10 AM 08-01-2014

It's tricky looking up here in MN too.
Unregistered 11:14 AM 08-01-2014
I have looked up a few centers in my own county. Curiosity, I guess, but for a reason. Groups that I see out that are not in ratio. A center that has only one window and that window is completely covered with paper, as is the window in the door. Center is also on two extremely busy streets, has no outdoor space except the parking lot, and there is no park or playground without half a mile at least.
Also looked up a center located on two busy streets that has no fence around their tiny playground. I have often wondered how centers can get by with such itty bitty playgrounds - mine is bigger. But I suppose if one class goes out at a time, they have "adequate" equipment? Just no space to run.
earlystart 02:56 PM 08-01-2014
I have the same issue as Daycare, except since I'm a small license, you can't even search by address, so I guess parents would be out of luck with this website and would just have to call using my facility number. The website search should just allow facility number since we're required to post that in all advertisements anyway, so silly that they don't let you search by that. I just emailed the webmaster complaining about that.
MarinaVanessa 03:19 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by earlystart:
I have the same issue as Daycare, except since I'm a small license, you can't even search by address, so I guess parents would be out of luck with this website and would just have to call using my facility number. The website search should just allow facility number since we're required to post that in all advertisements anyway, so silly that they don't let you search by that. I just emailed the webmaster complaining about that.
That's good! The more that CA providers write in to give feedback the better the chance we get to make changes. I emailed the link to the site to every provider I knew and asked them to pass it on etc. Even to their parents.

Searching for facility # would make things sooooo much easier. My license has my business name spelled differently than how I put on the paperwork so I had a hard time finding myself. Some providers (like me) use a DBA instead of just "Brown Family Child Care" and I think that you should be able to use a combination of ways to search ... provider name, daycare name and facility #. We should be able to use 1 or a combination of them.

Right now you have to spell it EXACTLY as how licensing has it in their files. If I wanted to search for Tutor Time but the official name was Tutor Time, Inc then you'd NEVER be able to find it. Miss a comma or a space ... forget it. Spell Daycare instead of Day Care, no results. I think the search should pop up with similar names which are close to what you are spelling. Narrow the results down by entering the city the daycare is in and it would make it MUCH more user friendly.
Tags:california, complaints, review, state publishing address, violations
Reply Up