Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sq Ft Needed to Open Daycare in NJ
Kinderkiddies 12:45 PM 08-14-2014
Hi all, I'm interesting in finding out what sqft is needed per child in an indoor daycare and outdoor play area in NJ daycare?
Crazy8 12:55 PM 08-14-2014
if you are referring to a home daycare I don't believe they give an actual amount, they just say "adequate" in everything I've read in the manual.

No clue on a center.
Kinderkiddies 01:30 PM 08-14-2014
Thanks but I was hoping to get the requirements on a center. They seem to be very specific hen it comes to centers.
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by Kinderkiddies:
Thanks but I was hoping to get the requirements on a center. They seem to be very specific hen it comes to centers.
I found this on page 53. (link is at the bottom of post)

Indoor space requirements for play rooms and/or sleep rooms are as follows:
i. There shall be a minimum of 30 square feet of usable activity indoor floor space for each child in centers that:
(1) Began operating prior to July 1, 1989; or
(2) Began operating on or after July 1, 1989 and serve fewer than 16 children.

ii. There shall be a minimum of 35 square feet of usable activity indoor floor space for each child in centers that began operating on or after July 1, 1989 and serve 16 or more children.

iii. The minimum square footage of usable activity indoor floor space shall be determined by excluding the space used in or by hallways, toilet facilities, offices, storage rooms, staff rooms, furnace rooms, kitchen areas, lockers, closets, and other stationary equipment or areas that children do not use for sleep or play.

iv. Centers serving sick children shall comply with the variation provisions on determining net indoor floor space per child, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-8.4(a).

v. The center shall identify all rooms of the center that have been approved by the Bureau. This identification shall consist of numbers, letters, names or any other means of identification and shall be located either inside or directly outside each room.

Here is the link to that info: https://www.daycare.com/newjersey/ne...standards.html
Kinderkiddies 01:44 PM 08-14-2014
Thanks that is def a start. Appreciate you taking the time to help me
Reply Up