Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Art Center

When I'm interviewing potential DCFs I'd like to offer an activity for the child. I know lots of you invite the children during interviews, so what do the kids do?

Ideally, the activity would be something that would tell me something about the child.

A self portrait?
A matching game?
Just set out a bunch of toys and see which one they gravitate to?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:51 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I let them look around & set out a few toys for them (legos or the trains for the train table). I set out a box of crayons, glue & stack of paper too.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
I let them look around & set out a few toys for them (legos or the trains for the train table). I set out a box of crayons, glue & stack of paper too.
I interview in our dining room which is connected to our living eoom. I set out crayons and paper and tell the kiddos theure free to go play with the toys. It gives me a chance to see how they play, and if they're able to self entertain or if they constantly need reassurance and guidance. Some is normal depending on age and because it's a new environment but a child that needed constant reassuring and direction won't work here.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:02 AM
Childcare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMomma View Post
When I'm interviewing potential DCFs I'd like to offer an activity for the child. I know lots of you invite the children during interviews, so what do the kids do?

Ideally, the activity would be something that would tell me something about the child.

A self portrait?
A matching game?
Just set out a bunch of toys and see which one they gravitate to?
I carry on the interview right in the daycare, the kid plays with whatever he/she can reach, and if there's the need to, I correct his/her behavior as I would do if the kid was already enrolled.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I carry on the interview right in the daycare, the kid plays with whatever he/she can reach....
This is me too. I really want to see how this kid interacts with the environment. If I set up an activity it might distract the kid from their normal behaviour and you could miss clues. I personally don't correct behaviour when the parents are here because I want to see how the parents resolve conflict. This gives me a real good feel for what this kid is used to at home.

I had one child who went around the daycare slamming toys on the ground, grabbed a pencil and started writing on the walls, all while the mom chased her around saying "no thank you" in a sing song voice. Yep. No thank you is right.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 AM
FCC Educator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
This is me too. I really want to see how this kid interacts with the environment. If I set up an activity it might distract the kid from their normal behaviour and you could miss clues. I personally don't correct behaviour when the parents are here because I want to see how the parents resolve conflict. This gives me a real good feel for what this kid is used to at home.
...... It's like you have to be a detective during interviews
Old 04-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

for me this was an epic fail for most of the kids I interviewed with...

depending on the age of the child, most of them just want to go through every thing in the DC. My whole house is the DC so they really dont have any where to go but into a DC room.

I would offer up an activity and they just toss it aside and go and explore.

Older kids around 4-5 will normally do the activity I have out, but the younger ones never do.

I think it is case by case. Depends on the child.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Childcare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
. I personally don't correct behaviour when the parents are here because I want to see how the parents resolve conflict. This gives me a real good feel for what this kid is used to at home.

:
In my experience, not many parents will show you their true parenting skills, the first time you meet them! I much rather show everyone exactly how I handle things, right from the start!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
In my experience, not many parents will show you their true parenting skills, the first time you meet them! I much rather show everyone exactly how I handle things, right from the start!
I can usually tell because if she is using a sing song voice but the kid listens then I know she is not doing that all the time at home!! I hear what you are saying though....I show my discipline techniques during the transition period while the parent is here observing...if they make it past the interview phase
Old 04-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Childcare Provider

Reading your post just made me realize something.... in 10yrs as a licensed daycare provider, I have yet to have the kind of parent sthat can truly handle their kid.
That is so sad!