Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any New Ideas For Active 4 yos?
Josiegirl 12:00 PM 01-28-2018
School is closed tomorrow for teacher in-service and I'll have 2 4-yos that bounce off walls. I can only hope it's nice enough so we can be outside longer.
Mike 12:49 PM 01-28-2018
2 of the 3 kids at my workshop yesterday were 4 and they had lots of fun assembling the birdhouses.
Your post just gave me an improvement to my idea.

I was planning to sell my workshop projects in the store for parent who would like to take them home to build with their kids there. They would be great ideas to sell to daycares. How many birdhouse projects do you want?
CityGarden 01:06 PM 01-28-2018
LOTS OF TIME OUTSIDE!!!!

Indoors having a schedule with activities help. They like doing projects like cooking, crafts, give them a job to help the younger ones for a specific task. Neighborhood walks are fun after nap.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:52 PM 01-28-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:
2 of the 3 kids at my workshop yesterday were 4 and they had lots of fun assembling the birdhouses.

I was planning to sell my workshop projects in the store for parent who would like to take them home to build with their kids there. They would be great ideas to sell to daycares. How many birdhouse projects do you want?
My mom did a birdhouse with my dd4 over Christmas break and she was SUPER into it. After they assembled she spent like an hour painting it.

I second the "project" idea along with lots of outside. The project could be as simple as building a city out of legos. Give then one step at a time, build a house, then when they've finished, ask for a play ground, a school, etc....

Also we've just gotten into scavenger hunts. I draw (or print off) simple pictures (the fish tank, the fridge, the cube shelf) instead of words. The last one I did I made sure that if they were upstairs the next thing to find was downstairs and vice versa. 10 or so trips up and down the stairs burns some energy . A small candy or treat prize at the end. The bonus was then my dd spent a good bit of time recycling my clues and re- hiding them for the other kids.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:17 PM 01-28-2018
An oldie but a goodie that went over really well last week for us was "the floor is lava". I used towels of various sizes as the stepping stones, made a path from one end of the room to the next. Varied it up by moving the steps around, folding the towels to make smaller steps, then challenging the kids to make their own path by placing the next step without touchung the floor.
Mike 02:40 PM 01-28-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
An oldie but a goodie that went over really well last week for us was "the floor is lava". I used towels of various sizes as the stepping stones, made a path from one end of the room to the next. Varied it up by moving the steps around, folding the towels to make smaller steps, then challenging the kids to make their own path by placing the next step without touchung the floor.
That sounds like fun, and the kind of thing I'd even enjoy doing with the kids. I'm adding this thread to my subscriptions list in case I do go into daycare.
Ariana 03:25 PM 01-28-2018
Schedule and plan a new activity for every half hour to an hour. I find planning based on a theme to be the easiest. So have a P.J day, make homemade pizzas for lunch, play different types of sleepover games, art activites etc.
flying_babyb 04:30 PM 01-28-2018
the "junk" bucket!! find all sorts of odds and ends and challange the kids to make somehting with them. We have a craft bucket and a "active" bucket. gave my class (2-3) pool noodles, some yarn, tp tubes and a few lids. Next thing I know there is dinosaurs running a obstical course in my room... They played for a hour and NO ONE got hurt (i have mean kids)
Rockgirl 09:10 AM 01-29-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:

My dad has done this for us! He used to volunteer at a kids’ summer camp for children who were grieving the loss of a parent. He made the kits, and helped the kids assemble them. He has sent kits here for the dck’s—they LOVE making them!
Cat Herder 09:23 AM 01-29-2018
http://preschoolspot.com/

https://teachpreschool.org/motor-skills-2/outdoor-play/

Fun sites
Tags:4 year old, activities - 4 year old, indoor activities
Reply Up