Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Always Pouting
tenderhearts 10:27 AM 03-07-2018
I started a new dcb a little more than a month ago. He's almost 4 but really acts more like 5 or 6. The only thing is he always has to take control of everything, he will just walk up to others and take a toy away and say he wants it, or when he wants to play with someone it has to be how HE wants to play or if someone doesn't want to play what he wants to play he sits and pouts and says no one likes him, or they don't want to be his friend, this is an every day all day thing. My poor other kiddos just don't seem to want to play with him as much because I think it's just not fun anymore.
Any suggestions? Parents say it's "only child syndrome" but I have had plenty of only children and never one quite to this extent. I feel like I"m being really tested in my job lately
hwichlaz 01:34 PM 03-07-2018
Be honest with him. No one wants to play with him because he’s being too bossy and it’s not fun.
storybookending 01:40 PM 03-07-2018
It doesn’t sound like he acts like he’s 5 or 6 from the behaviors you describe. Being an only child he is probably used to playing alone. Is he noticing the other kids not playing with him as much or are these just your observations?

I would ignore the pouting or simply say Johnny like to play with friends that don’t take his toys away. Or Sally likes to play with friends that share.
BrynleeJean 03:29 PM 03-07-2018
yea that doesn't sound so much like only child syndrome as not discipline enough syndrome.
id just stay on him, its not gonna be easy if he's had it easy at home, mom and dad letting him run things, set those boundaries and give yourself and him two weeks for it to be rough for the both of you to adjust. that always helps me in my mindset knowing its going to be rough and giving myself grace. Id stay consistent in redirection again for two weeks, then reassess if needed, constantly explaining to him how to play with others, and in two weeks time you should see dramatic changes.
but you know this kid better than i do, id say make a battle plan for this next two weeks, give yourself grace and patience in this time and don't expect anything until the time is over and then reassess and you should be pleased with your progress, his progress
tenderhearts 05:20 PM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Be honest with him. No one wants to play with him because he’s being too bossy and it’s not fun.
Yea that's exactly what I've been telling him. I also tell him when he's whiny and pouting that means he's tired and I make him take a nap but it doesn't really help much.
I guess when I say he acts older than he is it's in his development, he's more advanced than a 5 year old in a lot of areas, he's a smart kid.
I don't know the parents well enough to know their parenting style and nothing has ever been needed in the way of discipline and nothing where the parents have "given" in to anything while they have been here. There was only one incident where he was whining about something and his dad did stop it immediately and appropriately, but other than that I can't say.
I just feel like all day long I"m repeating the same things, I have been very consistent with him and I know there has been a lot of improvement from when he started, but there is still room for a lot more.
Tags:4 year old, pouting
Reply Up