Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Reply Needed
LittleD 10:18 AM 05-24-2013
I can't remember where I read a reply to a txt DCM sent, but it was good, so I'm asking for you're suggestions.

DCM sent me a txt, telling me DCD is stuck at work so she has to pick up today. she says "I can't leave here until about 5, but I'll be there as soon as I can" Normally they pick up around 4:20-4:30, and I am usually open until 5pm, so no big deal. The thing that irks me is she didn't ask if it's ok. Basically telling me I HAVE to do it. I have other DCF that now it will be ok, but they at least ASK if it's ok/if I mind/have other plans. I want to send her a text back saying it's fine, but want to hint at the fact she should ask, not tell, KWIM?

Can anyone help me with this?
JenNJ 10:23 AM 05-24-2013
Sorry Karen, my closing time is 5pm. I will not be available after that time this evening. Please make arrangements so that the children are picked up by closing. Thanks.
MamaBearCanada 10:24 AM 05-24-2013
Do you have a contracted pickup time & late fees? If not I'd add them to your contract & text:

DCM in answer to your request to pick up later than normal today I can accommodate it this time. However, in the future please ask about late pickups in advance (24hrs?) as I may not always be available. Thanks.

If you do:

DCM I can accommodate your request to pick up late. Please bring $x per minute in cash for the late fee at pickup. Thanks.
Unregistered 10:25 AM 05-24-2013
If she can't leave until nearly 5, I'm guessing she will arrive after your closing time. Do you have late fees outlined in your handbook?

Maybe something along the lines of:

I should be able to accomodate an unscheduled after closing pickup today, as long as you are here by _____ time. Please remember to bring the overtime fee of _____ at pickup tonight.
daycare 10:28 AM 05-24-2013
I would just tell her thank you for the heads up, normally I would need for you to give me more notice in advance, however, I can accommodate you today. Per our contract your late fee will be $45.00 which is due at pick up.

thanks so much
NeedaVaca 10:30 AM 05-24-2013
Do you mean would it be ok for me to accommodate a late pick up? It will be fine this time, thanks for "asking"
nannyde 10:32 AM 05-24-2013
All she wants is for you to say yes today. She doesn't care about you admonishing her for future days. She will be thrilled with "I can today but in the future you have to XYZ". Her yes comes with "I can today" and that's all she wants.

It will NOT stop this from happening again. The only way to stop it from happening again is to say no today.

I would say "Oh thanks for the offer for additional time because I sure could use the money, but I'm unable to do the overtime today. Just let me know who is going to be here by 4:30 if it isn't you or Daddy".
Blackcat31 10:38 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
All she wants is for you to say yes today. She doesn't care about you admonishing her for future days. She will be thrilled with "I can today but in the future you have to XYZ". Her yes comes with "I can today" and that's all she wants.

It will NOT stop this from happening again. The only way to stop it from happening again is to say no today.

I would say "Oh thanks for the offer for additional time because I sure could use the money, but I'm unable to do the overtime today. Just let me know who is going to be here by 4:30 if it isn't you or Daddy".

If you say yes today.....even with an admonishment for HOW she told you about this, you will be setting the stage for future orders rather than requests.

I would absolutely use the words Nan wrote suggesting an alternate pick up person if neither of the parents can be there as scheduled.
TheGoodLife 10:41 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Sorry Karen, my closing time is 5pm. I will not be available after that time this evening. Please make arrangements so that the children are picked up by closing. Thanks.
I agree! If the ask and I can, then it's OK. Otherwise closing time is closing time. I'd also add "my late charge is ___" if you have one in your contract, although she then may just figure on being late and paying the fee.
TheGoodLife 10:43 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Reply Up