Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Will Never Take A Drop In Again
sahm2three 11:52 AM 07-26-2012
It is just too high stress! The older child is fine, but the baby (1 year old) has just screamed all day long unless I hold him. I have other kids here and can't hold him. He refuses to sleep unless he sleeps on me, and I won't do that. I texted the provider (a friend), who normally has them and asked what the heck. She said he was pretty high maintenance and her daughter usually just give in to his every whim during the day. Oh, geez, thanks for the heads up! UGH! I am just hoping and praying that his screaming doesn't wake anyone else up.
jojosmommy 12:15 PM 07-26-2012
I agree drop ins can really mess up the whole day. I hope you only have this kid one day so that you don't have to put up with it for too long. Good luck.
cheerfuldom 12:37 PM 07-26-2012
yes, thats pretty common with drop ins. thats why a lot of us dont take drop ins, especially not babies.
sahm2three 12:45 PM 07-26-2012
I did it as a favor for a friend who is a provider, but it won't happen again. I have taken older kids as drop ins and it has been fine, but never ever again will I take a baby!!!!
Blackcat31 12:45 PM 07-26-2012
I agree with the others...absolutely normal for drop in's to be like that.

I don't normally take them either but if I ever do, I charge liek 2.5X my normal rate so I at least feel I was compensated for the trouble.
texascare 01:26 PM 07-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with the others...absolutely normal for drop in's to be like that.

I don't normally take them either but if I ever do, I charge liek 2.5X my normal rate so I at least feel I was compensated for the trouble.
I do this as well. If you go through the trouble, make it worth your while! That way you can go out for a nice dinner after work!
crazydaycarelady 01:35 PM 07-26-2012
I do take drop-ins but like blackcat I charge more!
spud912 02:01 PM 07-26-2012
Plus, that's a really bad age where they are especially clingy anyway.
sahm2three 07:33 AM 07-27-2012
Yep, never ever ever ever again. The 2 1/2 year old brother of these two is here today and he hasn't stopped crying. How long do you just let them cry before you just put them to bed to get away from the crying? I have tried everything. Tried distraction, holding him, singing, ignoring, and to top it off, he is spitting and drooling ALL over the place whilst crying hysterically. The older brother has tried to calm him. No luck. Never, ever, ever again.
cheerfuldom 07:41 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Yep, never ever ever ever again. The 2 1/2 year old brother of these two is here today and he hasn't stopped crying. How long do you just let them cry before you just put them to bed to get away from the crying? I have tried everything. Tried distraction, holding him, singing, ignoring, and to top it off, he is spitting and drooling ALL over the place whilst crying hysterically. The older brother has tried to calm him. No luck. Never, ever, ever again.
I would just put him in a PNP and let him cry so you and the kids can a get some relief. he may calm down on his own. its worth a shot.
Tags:child from hell, drop in - nightmare, drop in care
Reply Up