Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Furniture
Me! 12:33 PM 10-09-2013
One of my dcks just broke the reclining part of my new couch. This is now the 3rd couch that has been damaged in 4 years of doing in home daycare. Granted the first 2 couchs were already used when we got them but this new one is only 5 months old. My question is: would it be unresonable to make a rule to have no daycare kids on the furniture anymore?
Michael 12:34 PM 10-09-2013
Welcome to the forum. Please consider registering.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 10-09-2013
Nope. I don't think it is out of line at all.

I wouldn't allow any of the daycare kids on your furniture if you can supply them with an alternative instead.

Sorry that happened to you.
cara041083 12:44 PM 10-09-2013
Nope not at all! I do not allow daycare children on my furniture. Even when my own kids are home from school they aren't allowed on it either (during daycare hrs.). I have plenty of things for them to sit on and play with. Im sorry that happened.
Margarete 12:50 PM 10-09-2013
I have a no jumping, standing, abusing furniture rule. They can only use couches for siting. If they have to be reminded of the rule they have to stay off of the furniture. Any child big enough to break the furniture is old enough to understand the proper use of it.
But yes, a blanket rule is fine too, and something I have to implement on occasion for my 2-3 year olds, if they are having a hard time with the rules.
I try to give them other options... no you can't jump on the couch, but we can pull out a bunch of pillows and blankets and jump on them on the floor, and then get excited with them as they jump on them.
mema 12:52 PM 10-09-2013
Nope. Not unreasonable. I made that rule about a year into this. I actually had a dcm that broke mine-guess she thought sitting on the arm of the couch bouncing a 3 yo on her knee was a good decision.
melilley 12:55 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Margarete:
I have a no jumping, standing, abusing furniture rule. They can only use couches for siting. If they have to be reminded of the rule they have to stay off of the furniture. Any child big enough to break the furniture is old enough to understand the proper use of it.
But yes, a blanket rule is fine too, and something I have to implement on occasion for my 2-3 year olds, if they are having a hard time with the rules.
I try to give them other options... no you can't jump on the couch, but we can pull out a bunch of pillows and blankets and jump on them on the floor, and then get excited with them as they jump on them.
I do the same here.
caregiver 01:07 PM 10-09-2013
I have a separate room for daycare and only have one rocking chair in there that I sit on, the kids are not allowed in my living room to play or sit on the furniture. I used to use my living room for daycare and used to have the kids sit on the floor. There was no jumping allowed in there on the floor or on pillows, they had to sit nice and play or do whatever we were doing. I converted my big dining room to my daycare room as we were not really using the dining room but once a year for Christmas, so it really was wasting the room. My kitchen has been remodeled and I have a bigger table space now to use for holidays, so we would not be using the dining room anymore anyway. So that space has been really nice for daycare and the kids know that that is their room. So there is no furniture issue anymore.
WImom 01:11 PM 10-09-2013
Nope, not unreasonable. I have my own space now but when I used my living room I had that rule after a DCK puked on my couch. After that no more DCK's on my couch.

Sorry that happened!
April 01:45 PM 10-09-2013
Not at all! I made the same rule after about a year. I have bean bags, kiddie chairs and frankly I don't see anything wrong with children sitting on the floor. I also do not allow my own children to sit on my furniture during daycare hours....
LK5kids 02:28 PM 10-09-2013
Years ago....I had a day care addition built on our house (different house than where I do day care now) and the kids only came in the living before lunch to watch tv while I made lunch.

There were never, ever aloud on my furniture-ever and that furniture was in great condition 15 yrs later when I gave it away!
Me! 02:35 PM 10-09-2013
I will make it a rule and add it to my contract! I did have the rul of no standing or jumping only sitting on the furniture. On a day to day basis they respect the rule but occasionally they forget and I need to remind them. Today I was sitting on the couch with the feet up feeding the infant while the other kids did free play. A daycare kid runs at the couch sideways and before I could tell him to stop he jumps onto the foot of it, to get on. I'm pretty sure it was starting to break because I can't imagine that it happening once could have broken it?
Maria2013 02:36 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Me!:
One of my dcks just broke the reclining part of my new couch. This is now the 3rd couch that has been damaged in 4 years of doing in home daycare. Granted the first 2 couchs were already used when we got them but this new one is only 5 months old. My question is: would it be unresonable to make a rule to have no daycare kids on the furniture anymore?
my DCKs have to earn the privilege of sitting on the couch, first they have to be completely potty trained and they have to show they can sit properly ...otherwise they can sit on chairs of carpet
jenn 02:45 PM 10-09-2013
I have a loveseat and recliner in the daycare room. Daycare kids are not allowed on either. I don't think that it is unreasonable at all.
MyAngels 03:21 PM 10-09-2013
I don't think it's unreasonable to ban them from the furniture, either. I have recliners on all the furniture in my family room, but I never allow them to be open when the kids are here, even by me. I'm always afraid somebody's going to get hurt or trapped or something. I guess this is another reason for my decision .

Since the couch is only 5 months old I'd contact the manufacturer to see if there's a warranty. Ours is warranted for "life" (which really means 7 years ).
Tags:furniture, rules
Reply Up