Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Was It Bad I Text DCP's Not To Bring A Contagious Kid!?!
SunshineMama 12:25 PM 03-29-2012
DCB has hand foot and mouth disease.

Mon: Regular Day

Tues: Suspicious sores on hands, diaper, and mouth. I told mom about his spots being concerning, etc, and they wrote it off as teething.

Weds: mom calls, says taking dcb to dr. Dad calls a few hours later, says its HFMD. Dad asks if its ok to bring child friday since they are going on vacay fri-sun and mom is watching dcb fri night -sun and it will be a lot for her to have to watch him fri, sat and sun. I said we will have to wait and see how he is friday.

Weds: No dcb. My BFF (and dcp's mutual friend) has a baby 2 weeks early

Thurs: No dcb. I watch BFF's other dd (the one with the newborn). I text DCM and DCD to please not bring him tomorrow if he is contageous because I cannot get a newborn baby or anyone in BFF's family sick (especially with HFMD). I sent the text hours ago and have not received a response. They almost always respond within an hour.

Was it bad that I told them not to bring him if he was contageous because I will be around the newborn and I dont want anyone getting sick?

Its weird they didnt get back to me. But I dont want them to bring him just because they dont want the grandma watching him for 3 days in a row. That is not really my problem. BFF is family to me and so are her kids, and her newborn baby. So I wanted to make sure that they knew that if they brought a sick child they could potentially be infecting me, and BFF's other dd, which WILL affect a 2 DAY old baby.

Was I wrong?
Heidi 12:36 PM 03-29-2012
No...you weren't wrong. It doesn't matter who else you add to the mix. If the dc child has a contagious illness and is still in the contagious stage, he should be excluded from care.

I don't know the protocol for H-F-M, have never had it here, but whatever it is, follow it.
SunshineMama 12:42 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
No...you weren't wrong. It doesn't matter who else you add to the mix. If the dc child has a contagious illness and is still in the contagious stage, he should be excluded from care.

I don't know the protocol for H-F-M, have never had it here, but whatever it is, follow it.
They are most contageous for the first week, and after that, they can return to care if their sores are not "weeping," but it is still in their system from snot, etc, and can last in their BM's for several weeks.

This kid is a "mouther" and has multiple sores on his face. Honestly, I dont want him here tomorrow. I just bleached my whole house from head to toe and I dont want him bringing it back into my house, or worse- to my BFF's newborn baby. It's bad enough that he got ALL of the other daycare kids sick with it.

He is my diaharrea kid- the one who spread it around 4 times in 4 months. Until recently, he was the constant snotter/runny nose kid too. And EVERYTHING in the mouth. Ugh. I do feel bad they paid for the week but its not like I didnt earn it even though he isnt here- if I paid someone to do all of the deep cleaning I just did from what he brought in I would be -$350.00 in the hole!
SunshineMama 12:44 PM 03-29-2012
I suppose I just wanted to know if it was rude to text them.

I just remembered that they left for vacation last night and that he is with grandma today- except that they didnt give me grandma's info before they left because he was sick. Hopefully it's in the emergency contact paperwork- about to go check!
Heidi 12:46 PM 03-29-2012
Group care means your loyalty is to the whole group. I would do the same thing in your shoes. I would say "don't bring him", but I might (depending on a lot of factors), say they don't have to pay for tommorow. That'd be discretionary...
cheerfuldom 01:10 PM 03-29-2012
I never would have said "we will see how he is on Friday". Anything but a firm no will be received as a yes by the parent. If you knew that he was contagious for one week, why did you even give the possibility for a Friday care?
Christian Mother 02:45 PM 03-29-2012
I had my first experience with HFM and it went around to all the daycare and their families but mine. It's very contagious..A week excluded should be good to have them out of daycare. I wouldn't have told them he could possibly come Fri. but then again I let mine come to daycare after 2 days. Although he was out for a week prior and he didn't have any visible sores on him. But one of the children had them every where and he should of been out for a wk although even though the following week he still had them every where. Some get them really bad other not so bad. I would of prob. called instead of text so you could speak in person. I don't like texting...
juliebug 07:32 PM 04-02-2012
HFM is so very contagious! we had it here for 1 month it just passed around like crazy! never again they are gone for a week period!
Tags:contagious, parent notification, sick policy
Reply Up