Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>House Size, and Providers with a Small Baby...
MyKzooFamily 12:21 PM 04-13-2012
I have a 3 week old daughter, and today got a trial-run with daycare. I use to nanny for 2 year old twin boys, and they came over today for a half day to play with my 3 year old son. It went really well. A few quarrels over toys, but overall really well. I just can't figure out how to take care of DD (dear daughter) in the process. It seems it's only when I'm feeding her or changing a diaper that someone has to go potty and needs help, or is thirsty, or needs help with a toy, or has a quarrel and I have to resolve it. How do you take care of a wee one (yours, or a daycare child) while having other kids that need lots of attention?

Also.. what size is your daycare area? We have a small home (900 sq.ft.), but only one room is not accessible for daycare kids. We have a dedicated playroom that is 10x11. I want to figure out how to get the most out of the space. I also have a computer room that is 8x10 that I could use as well (with the computer desk in one of the corners, but the rest of the room open). Would I need the second room? I thought about having more pretend-play items in there, like a play house, for the winter when we can't go outside.

MyKzooFamily 01:31 PM 04-13-2012
anyone?
AnythingsPossible 01:38 PM 04-13-2012
Do they truly need your attention at that very minute, or is it just because you are busy that they want something? Kind of like as soon as you make a phone call they need something!!
In the past I have just gently reminded the olders that I am taking care of the baby right now, I will help them as soon as I get a chance. Other times, I've done the best I can with one hand!
If someone is in the potty and needs help, you can continue to feed the baby and chat with the person in the bathroom, sing songs, read them a book, etc. There is no perfect solution when you are working by yourself. If you are just starting out, it will seem like everyone needs you at the same time, but in time you will figure out a way to make it all work together.
My daycare room is 12x15 with a little 5x5 corner. Your set up is very nice. IF the computer room is adjacent to your current room, it may be nice to have both, but if it is seperated by a bit, that could prove problematic.
Not sure if that's much help!!
Michelle 01:44 PM 04-13-2012
pretty cute setup, I would either move that floor lamp somewhere else or figure out how to anchor it and use outlet plugs, and tape down any draping electrical cords.
As far as the kids... I would have a busy box for them to play with that they only get when you are feeding your baby or changing diapers.
MyKzooFamily 01:46 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Do they truly need your attention at that very minute, or is it just because you are busy that they want something? Kind of like as soon as you make a phone call they need something!!
In the past I have just gently reminded the olders that I am taking care of the baby right now, I will help them as soon as I get a chance. Other times, I've done the best I can with one hand!
If someone is in the potty and needs help, you can continue to feed the baby and chat with the person in the bathroom, sing songs, read them a book, etc. There is no perfect solution when you are working by yourself. If you are just starting out, it will seem like everyone needs you at the same time, but in time you will figure out a way to make it all work together.
My daycare room is 12x15 with a little 5x5 corner. Your set up is very nice. IF the computer room is adjacent to your current room, it may be nice to have both, but if it is seperated by a bit, that could prove problematic.
Not sure if that's much help!!
Thanks! Yeah, I was holding the baby while trying to get a 2 year old's pants and undies down for him, it was difficult. I guess I could have used that time to see if he was able to do it himself. I just didn't want him to have an accident while I sat there.

The second room is next to the first one, so not one where I could see across the hall into it. I would be able to gate off my home so that they could use both those rooms and the bathroom all at once, so that might be nice. I just wonder if I will NEED to keep all the kids in the same room to keep an eye on them. I really get upset when someone is crying, and I have no idea what happened. Then I have to let it go, because I can't trust a 'he said, she said' with what happened. I really need to BE there to find out who hit, bit, pushed, grabbed, etc.

I've done child care before, but only for 2 at a time max. And I've been a nanny for 2 year old twin boys (they now just come for 1/2 days on Fridays to play). Hoping to have everything set in the next few weeks to have daycare kids!
AnythingsPossible 02:08 PM 04-13-2012
I have a room that is adjacent to our main room, but I don't like to use it because I like to have everyone under my supervision. Exactly like you said, when something happens, you just don't know what really happened. The best prevention is supervision!! I am to paranoid/controlling/worrisome to allow them in seperate rooms to play
The only time we use both rooms is if I sit in the hallway where i can see into each room, but then I am just sitting there and that bugs me!
MyKzooFamily 02:28 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
pretty cute setup, I would either move that floor lamp somewhere else or figure out how to anchor it and use outlet plugs, and tape down any draping electrical cords.
As far as the kids... I would have a busy box for them to play with that they only get when you are feeding your baby or changing diapers.
Yeah, I haven't run through the 'safety' of the room yet. Noticed that today when the boys came over to play. I forgot to put the outlet safety plugs in, and I need to get rid of the floor lamp and orange chinese lantern because they have cords. Need to figure out where to put lighting so there are no cords out.
Heidi 02:44 PM 04-13-2012
Here are some pics I took yesterday after the FCCER's consultant had her say, and I changed a few things. My main daycare room is the same size-8 x 10.

I guess I would hold off on the other room. If you end up enrolling an older child that needs a little alone space, you could use it that way, but it will be a supervision issue with younger children.
Attached: kinderhaus kids 001.jpg (67.4 KB) kinderhaus kids 002.jpg (77.6 KB) 
Heidi 02:47 PM 04-13-2012
Here's a couple more...the program wouldn't let me do them all at once...
Attached: kinderhaus kids 005.jpg (83.5 KB) 
cheerfuldom 03:14 PM 04-13-2012
Its going to take time but the big kids have to get used to waiting and the baby has to get used to being put down. You can try a carrier or sling for the baby but otherwise, you just have to start working on a routine for all of them. I think you should use one room as the play room and one as the nap room. Also, when my kids were tiny (I have three with another on the way), I always put them on the opposite routine as the big kids. They were napping during a lot of our morning play time and up during the big kids nap time. It means you dont get much of a break but you do get some time to just snuggle your baby and enjoy her!
MyKzooFamily 04:30 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Here are some pics I took yesterday after the FCCER's consultant had her say, and I changed a few things. My main daycare room is the same size-8 x 10.

I guess I would hold off on the other room. If you end up enrolling an older child that needs a little alone space, you could use it that way, but it will be a supervision issue with younger children.
That is cute! I LOVE the kitchen set! Where did you get it?

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Its going to take time but the big kids have to get used to waiting and the baby has to get used to being put down. You can try a carrier or sling for the baby but otherwise, you just have to start working on a routine for all of them. I think you should use one room as the play room and one as the nap room. Also, when my kids were tiny (I have three with another on the way), I always put them on the opposite routine as the big kids. They were napping during a lot of our morning play time and up during the big kids nap time. It means you dont get much of a break but you do get some time to just snuggle your baby and enjoy her!
Yeah, I thought of that this evening. That second room gets really dark with the curtains down, so it would be perfect for a nap space. I can also sit at the computer doing work while they nap. It will give me something to do while I make sure they go to sleep. The computer chair also rocks, so I can rock the baby while in there.
MyKzooFamily 04:32 PM 04-13-2012
And just because..... My little angel. 3 year old big brother really likes her so far.

MyKzooFamily 04:33 PM 04-13-2012
I need to figure out how to do thumbnail pictures. Using the link and http code really makes them HUGE. Sorry.
Michael 04:58 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily:
I need to figure out how to do thumbnail pictures. Using the link and http code really makes them HUGE. Sorry.
To upload an attachment:

1) After writing your post look below your comment area and you will see a button called Manage Attachments.
2) Click on the button and you will see 4 areas to upload load files.
3) Once you choose the image from your computer, click on the "Upload Image button".
4) Once the image is uploaded you will see the image name under "Current Attachments"
5) Click on the Close Window button and the bottom and post your image.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 04-14-2012
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily:
And just because..... My little angel. 3 year old big brother really likes her so far.
How sweet!! She is definitely an angel!
Jenniferdawn 08:55 AM 04-14-2012
She is very sweet. It's definitely hard to find the balance between caring for your newbie and other children but I agree with training the children to be able to wait for a bit if possible. Also, my baby carrier is my best friend. The babies I care for Live in them so that I can be hand free but they still get the cuddle time they need. Look into a Moby wrap for this stage and an ergo. Ergos are more expensive but worth every penny!
momofsix 04:10 PM 11-02-2012
Your dd is so precious!!!
I'm from GR too! SE side
nanglgrl 04:18 PM 11-02-2012
I love both of your spaces! Very nicely set up and organized. Maybe you could use the second room like you intended but purchase a video monitor. I have one that I use when I am preparing meals and after a while the kids just started thinking I was magic and could see them at all times so they behave when they are not in my line of site!
nothingwithoutjoy 06:16 PM 11-02-2012
Some things that helped when I had tiny babies + several other under-3 kids:

--a sling! I wouldn't have wanted to do it without my Kangaroo Korner sling. Baby inside=both hands free to help other kids. I dressed them all to go out in the winter, changed diapers, made lunch, etc, etc, etc. w/baby in the sling. Also helped with finding outside time; baby could sleep in sling while we were outside.
--a gate. If I had to pee, I could put the baby down in a bassinet on the other side of the gate, where the other kids couldn't bother them (when I was concerned they might). I'd also step over the gate to put baby down for a nap to cut down on distractions from others.
--teaching the "big" kids to help me. Toddlers love to help by, for example, getting me a diaper out of someone's basket, or by "reading" the baby a book on a blanket so I can attend to someone else, etc.
--Lots of the day, baby got my physical attention while the bigger kids got my visual and verbal attention. That way, everyone felt attended to. For example, baby on my lap as I sat in the midst of the toddlers, chatting and assisting in their play.
--Setting up the environment for independence. If the older kids can get what they need to play, do art, wash hands, etc, they don't need you as often.

Good luck! It's exhausting, but fun!
Tags:pictures
Reply Up