Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think Of This Setup?
SunflowerMama 05:22 PM 02-13-2011
So I changed things up a bit to hopefully encourage more child-centered use of toys, supplies and activities without as much direction from me. I've been open over a year and still can't find a setup that I'm totally in love with.

My main concern is the art area. I would love to have multiple supplies out for them all the time so they can create to their heart's content but I just can't find an open storage solution to make that possible. So any advice or other's pictures of their art stations would be greatly appreciated.

I also added a water station and created little activity "boxes" for my 6 section shelf that I will change out daily for them to work on different skills.

Then in my main room is my home living area and all the other activities in storage boxes on the book shelves.

What do you guys think of this layout?

Abigail 05:47 PM 02-13-2011
My only concern is that your painting station is next to a beautiful WHITE wall with your things hanging on the hooks.

I still LOVE your tree on the wall! It's just amazing and I want one!
SunflowerMama 05:53 PM 02-13-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
My only concern is that your painting station is next to a beautiful WHITE wall with your things hanging on the hooks.

I still LOVE your tree on the wall! It's just amazing and I want one!
I know I just can't find a good place for the easel. When it's nice out I just keep it outside but otherwise I can't find a good place for it that keeps it somewhat out of the way after hours.
Luna 03:20 AM 02-14-2011
I love your colours and the way you've done your wall hangings and the back of your shelf unit It looks like a fun space to play in. Do you find the tablecloths to be a problem at all? I have better luck without them unless we're doing a tea party; the kids trip on them & the cloth doesn't stay put on the table. Do you use some sort of gripper to keep them in place?
momofboys 04:41 AM 02-14-2011
I love the tree painted on the wall! I think your set-up is very open, I like it a lot.
countrymom 05:34 AM 02-14-2011
like the layout, the only thing is the paint easle. I would be so worried that someone will paint my walls. I would just let the kids color on it.
Little People 05:46 AM 02-14-2011
I love the tree and I really like your little kitchen set
Lilbutterflie 05:47 AM 02-14-2011
I love the set up, especially the daycare room!

I have a suggestion for the easel problem... is it possible to switch places with one of the tables? If there is no other place you like the easel I would definitely make sure to remove your belongings from the hooks during painting time! About the white wall... you could try to paint the wall with a Sherwin Williams Durable Home paint. If you've never heard of this paint before... it's AMAZING! Wipes clean with water even if it's anon-washable marker. One time, a dcg got a stamp ink pad and took the liberty of decorating the playroom wall... it came right off with water!! She still got in major trouble for it, but at least it came right off. You can get any of the Sherwin Williams paint colors in the Durable Home brand, and it will run about $40-$50 per gallon. BUT almost every holiday they will have a 25 or 40% off sale, so that's when we buy it.
melskids 08:35 AM 02-14-2011
LOVE IT!

you could either tack a shower curtain on the wall to cover & keep it clean, or, if that space is big enough, i would put a bookshelf there for your art supplies. i bought $15 shelves from walmart, (see: omg i'm trying to post post pic thread) theyre not that big, so it might fit in that space behind the door. i made curtains that fit the front of the shelf (on a tension rod) to hide everything when i dont want to look at it.
nannyde 09:08 AM 02-14-2011
I see you have the Melissa and Doug kitchen.

I can't stand that toy.

It's the worst toy investment of my 17 year career.

Bought it without seeing it in person. Won't make that mistake again.

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...otoid=41430552
SunflowerMama 10:31 AM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by Luna:
Do you find the tablecloths to be a problem at all? I have better luck without them unless we're doing a tea party; the kids trip on them & the cloth doesn't stay put on the table. Do you use some sort of gripper to keep them in place?
Most of the time they'll stay put but if the kids start tripping or pulling them off I'll just put them away. They are usually pretty good with them though.
SunflowerMama 10:34 AM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I see you have the Melissa and Doug kitchen.

I can't stand that toy.

It's the worst toy investment of my 17 year career.

Bought it without seeing it in person. Won't make that mistake again.

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...otoid=41430552
What don't you like about it? I've been thinking of switching it for a smaller more simple little stove ans sink setup that takes up much less room. The kids seem so so on the kitchen but do play with it quite a bit.
Lianne 10:38 AM 02-14-2011
Personally, I hate easels. They're awkward, messy, no storage space and the kids think they can walk around with a paintbrush in their hands. My suggestion is to put a small, one seater table in that space with a chair they have to sit in or their turn creating is done. Get a set of those plastic drawer units on wheels (don't use the wheels) like these http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=186&section=1 to sit on the floor beside the table. One drawer can hold crayons and markers, one can hold glue sticks and scissors, one can hold collage materials(feathers, googly eyes, foam shapes, scraps of ribbon, tissue paper, etc.), one can hold loose paper, one can hold colouring books or whatever you want them to have access to. You can change up what you want in those drawerrs like you change other areas in your room. I put a small garbage can under the table and the kids must clean up their mess before they move on or they lose the art table for the day. I won't allow my kids to have free access to paints although if they ask I'm happy to get the water colour paints down for them. The sloppier tempra paints are used at my kitchen table with me supervising.
nannyde 10:59 AM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
What don't you like about it? I've been thinking of switching it for a smaller more simple little stove ans sink setup that takes up much less room. The kids seem so so on the kitchen but do play with it quite a bit.
Super crappy materials: hardware, nails, boards.
SunflowerMama 11:03 AM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by Lianne:
Personally, I hate easels. They're awkward, messy, no storage space and the kids think they can walk around with a paintbrush in their hands. My suggestion is to put a small, one seater table in that space with a chair they have to sit in or their turn creating is done. Get a set of those plastic drawer units on wheels (don't use the wheels) like these http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=186&section=1 to sit on the floor beside the table. One drawer can hold crayons and markers, one can hold glue sticks and scissors, one can hold collage materials(feathers, googly eyes, foam shapes, scraps of ribbon, tissue paper, etc.), one can hold loose paper, one can hold colouring books or whatever you want them to have access to. You can change up what you want in those drawerrs like you change other areas in your room. I put a small garbage can under the table and the kids must clean up their mess before they move on or they lose the art table for the day. I won't allow my kids to have free access to paints although if they ask I'm happy to get the water colour paints down for them. The sloppier tempra paints are used at my kitchen table with me supervising.
The easel and I definitely have a love hate relationship. Getting paint on their clothes (even with a smock), dripping paint on the floor, friends looking at their pieces and leaning up against the easel and getting paint on themselves, etc. I do like the idea of the shelf unit with the drawers and saw those yesterday at Walmart and just can't decide b/w that and the smaller bookshelves like Melskids. I just don't know if having everything out for them to see what is available is best or the drawers.

I love the availability of having all those supplies available, at all times, it just gives me a heart attack sometimes thinking that the 18 month old has grabbed a marker while I wasn't looking and is holding it until that moment that I turn my back and she then goes to town on the wall, or the tv, or the couch .
angelpayne24 11:49 AM 02-14-2011
I love your layout and I really love your painted tree on the wall!
melskids 04:00 PM 02-14-2011
i have a 16 month old. all of my art stuff is out, open and accessible to everyone but the 16 month old. he is NOT allowed in the art area without me. he actually still sits in the highchair to use the art supplies, just so i can contain and control him a bit.
Sprouts 04:09 PM 02-14-2011
Did you paint the tree and the swing tire?? Thats exactly how i picture my reading area too

I love the "montessori" theme, very nice
dEHmom 05:15 AM 02-15-2011
Am I seeing a million Lincoln Logs????

We live in Canada and they don't sell those! But my MIL bought a set for my son for Xmas when she was in USA.

They are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the set ups!!!! I'm super jealous
Little People 05:46 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:

We live in Canada and they don't sell those! But my MIL bought a set for my son for Xmas when she was in USA.

Can you order them off ebay and have them shipped to you. We have the Lincoln Log set that has a train set too. My dck's love it!
Blackcat31 05:50 AM 02-15-2011
I have a HUGE Rubbermaid tote of Lincoln Logs and I NEVER use them because my dck's don't seem to understand that they are not swords. They don't seem to have the concept down so they opt for the large cardboard blocks, Duplo's, Waffle Blocks and Bristle Blocks instead.

As a kid, I LOVED Lincoln Logs....my brothers and I played for hours! My own DS and DD played with them as well. As a matter of fact, the big bin I have of them are from my own kids.
countrymom 10:02 AM 02-15-2011

toys r us sells them and so does costco, thats where I bought them. My ds and dd play with all the time too, I just don't have alot so they can only make small houses. They are expensive.
dEHmom 10:09 AM 02-15-2011
nope we have searched every toy store, including the specialty toy stores. it would be ridiculously priced to order them special.

I've looked on ebay, and thought to order them, but my ocd says don't mix them in separate containers, and must be kept in original box. So I cannot purchase them. I'd love to find someone selling a million pieces for like 20 dollars though!
SunflowerMama 10:23 AM 02-15-2011
Here's my solution to the art area. Thanks for all your awesome suggestions!!

To answer 2 other questions...

- A friend of mine who is an artist painted our tree/swing. She's so awesome and it's my favorite thing about my daycare by far.

- I found the Lincoln Logs at Goodwill for $3!!! So siked when I found those!!
Autismworld 11:27 AM 02-15-2011
Is that the Superyard XL? How did you attach it to your walls???
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:55 PM 02-15-2011
Please let me know how the art area goes! What are the ages of your children allowed in that area? We have mainly 2-5 yr olds and we can't block off areas from the younger ones so the older preschoolers can have more available to them. So right now I'm pretty scared to allow them access to the art materials. Even the 5 yr olds could do some pretty major damage I'm afraid. They still haven't learned to keep the materials in their specific areas. And if we try redirecting them back to the appropriate area with whatever they're walking around with, they ignore us, or if we try to physically guide them back they have a little fit, throwing themselves to the floor crying and throwing whatever they had in their hand (the toddlers, I mean). The older ones just ignore us. ANYWAY, let me know how this works for you and what rules you set for it. How do you keep them from just wasting the materials. Like emptying the entire glue bottle onto their paper! lol
Abigail 06:20 PM 02-15-2011
did you decide to do away with the art easel?
momatheart 06:32 PM 02-15-2011
For the water set up and the art easel I would purchase those big paint trays to set them in. The easle fits inside the plastic tray and all paint that falls lands in that and little feet do not step in the tray and track paint. They are able to paint standing outside the plastic tray. Also if you set the table with the water bin in the tray or use two trays you would not have to worry that much about water on your floor.

These trays are big plastic squares.
SunflowerMama 04:54 AM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
For the water set up and the art easel I would purchase those big paint trays to set them in. The easle fits inside the plastic tray and all paint that falls lands in that and little feet do not step in the tray and track paint. They are able to paint standing outside the plastic tray. Also if you set the table with the water bin in the tray or use two trays you would not have to worry that much about water on your floor.

These trays are big plastic squares.
I'll definitely keep my eye out for trays like that. I never knew they made them big enough to hold something as large as an easel. That's great to know!!
SunflowerMama 04:57 AM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
did you decide to do away with the art easel?
Well for now we're having some awesome spring weather...high 70's so it's been outside this week. I still haven't decided what to do with it on a more regular basis....but for now I'm just keeping it outside during the day with full access to the paints and then in the garage at night.
SunflowerMama 04:59 AM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Please let me know how the art area goes! What are the ages of your children allowed in that area? We have mainly 2-5 yr olds and we can't block off areas from the younger ones so the older preschoolers can have more available to them. So right now I'm pretty scared to allow them access to the art materials. Even the 5 yr olds could do some pretty major damage I'm afraid. They still haven't learned to keep the materials in their specific areas. And if we try redirecting them back to the appropriate area with whatever they're walking around with, they ignore us, or if we try to physically guide them back they have a little fit, throwing themselves to the floor crying and throwing whatever they had in their hand (the toddlers, I mean). The older ones just ignore us. ANYWAY, let me know how this works for you and what rules you set for it. How do you keep them from just wasting the materials. Like emptying the entire glue bottle onto their paper! lol
My group is pretty good about not wasting the supplies. They know that if they abuse their art priviledges they'll lose them. They all stay at the tables and are pretty good about putting the supplies back when they are finished. We're still working on perfecting that skill though.
Lianne 06:34 AM 02-16-2011

Um, I'm in Ontario and Walmart sells them. I've bought them at one and seen them in three other Walmarts.
dEHmom 06:47 AM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by Lianne:
Um, I'm in Ontario and Walmart sells them. I've bought them at one and seen them in three other Walmarts.
REALLY! I was told they are not in Canada!!!!! I may just have to make a trip next door then soon!!!!!!!!
Tags:layout, pictures
Reply Up