Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Throw Up and Coughing
Unregistered 12:04 PM 02-17-2011
Say you have a child napping... they start to cough and throw up. It's not mucus it's throw up.. white and chunky (sorry!!)...

Would you call parent for pick up and not allow back the next day? Or would you call parent for pick up and allow them to come back the next day? Or would you just clean up child and wait until pick-up?

Background Info... This child has sinus infection and has almost 48 hrs worth of antibiotic in them. Had a bad cough on Tues... didn't come yesterday.. and then came back and didn't cough all morning until nap. (Barking cough)
Blackcat31 12:10 PM 02-17-2011
If a child throws up here FOR ANY REASON, they go home. If they are sent home, they have to stay home the next day. I can NOT do puke...for any reason....my gag reflexes cannot differentiate betwen a sick puke or a coughing puke....kwim? Bleh..
Zoe 12:12 PM 02-17-2011
My son does this after he is sick too. At night when he's sleeping, he coughs so hard that he throws up. However, from what you described it sounds more serious than the kid making himself throw up. The consistency along with the barking cough makes it sound like there's something going on in his lungs/chest. I'd call the parent and have the child picked up.
nannyde 12:42 PM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If a child throws up here FOR ANY REASON, they go home. If they are sent home, they have to stay home the next day. I can NOT do puke...for any reason....my gag reflexes cannot differentiate betwen a sick puke or a coughing puke....kwim? Bleh..
Yes

NO puke
grandmom 01:24 PM 02-17-2011
If the kid was fine otherwise, and just coughed so hard, I'd let him back.

I have one who cries so hard sometimes she cough/pukes. I just move her next to the garbage can when she starts, and then we go on about our day.
Unregistered 01:37 PM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
If the kid was fine otherwise, and just coughed so hard, I'd let him back.

I have one who cries so hard sometimes she cough/pukes. I just move her next to the garbage can when she starts, and then we go on about our day.
The kid was fine after but Mom picked up about 10 mins after I called her to come and get the child. The child said that they felt better after. This child had a really bad cough on Tues (and I mean really bad) and didn't throw up at all while coughing. I told mom this child couldn't come back tomorrow and my contract states No Throw up.. they must be 24 hrs symptom free. With the stomach flu going around town and this child has never thrown up before I'm going to play it on the safe side.

Thank You for your response
Unregistered 01:39 PM 02-17-2011
Thank You!! That is what I told dcm... No Throw Up.. and it's in my contract that she signed. The child can't come back tomorrow and has to be symptom free for 24 hrs before returning.
Unregistered 09:41 AM 02-18-2011
I have varied views on this. I have one child who regularly throws up. About 1x a week. Sometimes I am the unlucky one who gets to experience it. Othertimes mom gets it at home. She always tells me and asks if she should come to daycare the following day. At first I said no. 24 hrs past throw up. But after weeks of her missing 1-2 days a week of daycare I have lightened up on it a bit. Dr says she has severe anxiety and a weak gag reflex. Even the littlest thing can set her off- like me saying "its not ok to hit your friends." or if I wake her up at nap and she isnt ready to get up yet. This little girl is very timid and if you blink too much during the day you could miss her completely. Very passive-very gentle. Maybe I am a pushover but I say if you know whats going on you need to take that into consideration too.
misol 11:25 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have varied views on this. I have one child who regularly throws up. About 1x a week. Sometimes I am the unlucky one who gets to experience it. Othertimes mom gets it at home. She always tells me and asks if she should come to daycare the following day. At first I said no. 24 hrs past throw up. But after weeks of her missing 1-2 days a week of daycare I have lightened up on it a bit. Dr says she has severe anxiety and a weak gag reflex. Even the littlest thing can set her off- like me saying "its not ok to hit your friends." or if I wake her up at nap and she isnt ready to get up yet. This little girl is very timid and if you blink too much during the day you could miss her completely. Very passive-very gentle. Maybe I am a pushover but I say if you know whats going on you need to take that into consideration too.
I understand what you are saying but I can't put myself in a position where I am regularly cleaning up throwup. I would be a basket case with a child like this in my care. It would make ME suffer from anxiety wondering every day whether she was going to throw up! Yes, cleaning up vomit is a "part of the job" but to me, this is considered "uncontrolled" and personally, I wouldn't be able to stomach it. I would definitely stick to my sick policy on this. Plus, how is the provider to know when she is throwing up for a reason other than her gag reflex?
Unregistered 03:57 PM 02-18-2011
Yep you are right, I do not know when she is throwing up becuase of her reflex or when she is sick however only 1x has she ever actually had the flu and had to stay home the next day with fever and other flu sx.

And only 2 times has she thrown up enough to bother me. Once on her clothes, which were immed removed (easily I might add) and put in a bag- mom picked up 20 min later as this was her first time ill. And one time in a garbage can. Nothing more than wiping boogers or bottoms as far as I am concerned.
Tags:coughing, sick, vomit
Reply Up