Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Payment
Ac114 07:03 AM 10-17-2018
When you ladies require a deposit, is it refundable or do you use it towards the last 2 weeks of care or how do apply it in your contract?

I had a family that was going to start next Monday for 3 days a week. Originally they were going to start this past Monday but decided to push it back. She came and signed the contract and paid the first weeks worth of care because they pushed back his start date by a week. (I don’t require a deposit) she just wrote me today and said that her husbands work schedule changed and now no longer needs care but will need her money back. The contract states I need a 2 week notice but she also didn’t start care. So part of me feel like I held out for this spot for over 2 weeks and that I shouldn’t refund her money but then i also didn’t provide services. What would you ladies say or do? I’m learning as I go along so I will now implement a nonredunadbke deposit that will be used towards the first week of care to hold their spot.
Reply
BrynleeJean 08:23 AM 10-17-2018
I donít have a written deposit policy really.
I do have it written that a registration fee of so much is due upon enrollment and that is nonrefundable and I would t refund in this situation either because I use it for supplies for the child coming and id have likely bought those supplies already. And I also ask for tuition the Friday before enrollment. Non refundable just like if the kids were sick all week or parents took a last minute vacation and didnít give me a heads up. This is my lively hood and I try to make it as stable as possible

I say donít refund and just say Iím sorry my policy says two weeks notice after signing my contract is due. This spot was held for your child. Iíll waive that last week but will not be refunding this week of tuition as I now have to fill this spot on such short notice.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 08:24 AM 10-17-2018
I don't call it a deposit. I call it a fee. Deposit implies that they can get it back.
My two-week security fee is non-refundable, once I get it I don't give it back unless either myself or the client terminates care within the trial period and has already paid me for services rendered or if the started as full-time and moved down to part-time and then gave a proper 2 week notice and didn't owe me money so that when I applied the two week fee there was money leftover.

The two week security fee is applied towards their final 2 weeks of care first, then if anything is left and money is owed it goes towards that. Any remaining money owed is still due and any extra money leftover is returned via mailed check after the child's last day of care.

Does your contract have a trial period clause that says any party can terminate with no notice during this time?
If it does I'd return the money because you haven't rendered care yet and she's within her legal limits ... unless ...
Your contract say fees are non-refundable then you don't have to refund them.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 08:41 AM 10-17-2018
Everybody does it differently but here's everything in my handbook that talks about the two-week security fee and tuition fees in general.

Originally Posted by :
Two-Week Security Fee
A non-refundable security fee is required for each full or part time child in the amount equivalent to two-weeks of care.

If paying the security deposit in full creates a hardship then $100 of the security fee can be paid upon enrollment and weekly payments of $50 can be paid, in addition to your weekly rate, until the security fee is paid in full. The two-week security fee will serve as payment for your childís final two weeks of care.
Originally Posted by :
Trial Period
The first two weeks of care are considered a "trial period". Either party can withdraw from our agreement without written notice within these first two weeks. No refunds will be given for any services provided within this time period.
Originally Posted by :
Billing and Payments
No tuition credit is given for any days the daycare is closed due to listed holidays or any days a child is absent due to vacation or illness. If your child is absent from daycare for any reason, full tuition will be charged for the entire week.
Originally Posted by :
Parent Withdrawal
In the event that a child/family needs to withdraw from child care and cancel the child care services agreement a Parent Withdrawal Form is required with a minimum of a two-week advance notice. Parent Withdrawal Forms can be downloaded and printed from the child care web-site or I can provide you with a copy.

Parent Withdrawal Forms must be filled out in pen and are accepted on Fridays only, on business days, and need to be accompanied by any final payment(s) IN FULL. Parent Withdrawal Forms can NOT be given on days that the daycare is CLOSED such as holidays or during my vacation. The final two weeks of child care cannot overlap onto days that the daycare is already scheduled to close such as the holidays and my vacation.

The two-week security fee will be used towards paying for the childís final two weeks of childcare providing that a proper written two-week notice was given. Payment for the childís final two weeks of childcare is required regardless of whether or not the child attends daycare during that time.

If proper notice of termination is not given the security deposit is forfeited and any outstanding fess, tuition fees and late payment fees as well as the final two weeks of childcare will still be owed by the client.
Originally Posted by :
Provider Termination
Generally, I will give two weeksí written notice of termination if for any reason I am unable to continue providing care for your child(ren). I do, however, reserve the right to dismiss any child at any time, with or without cause.

In some cases, immediate termination will occur if actions by the parent or childís part interfere with the safety or overall quality of care of the children/families enrolled.
I may terminate your childís enrollment with no notice under the following circumstances:
[long list of reasons]

Any past due balances must be paid within 30 days of the dismissal. An invoice detailing the past due balance will be emailed & forwarded to the address indicated in the childís file within one week of the dismissal. Any balances remaining after the 30-day period may be referred for collection.
Originally Posted by :
Application of the Two-Week Security Fee
Payment for your childís final two weeks is due regardless if your child attends or not.

Private Pay Clients
The two-week security fee will serve as payment for your childís final two weeks of care provided that an appropriate notice of termination in writing is given.

If any other outstanding debt is owed then the security fee will be used to pay the debt and the balance, if any, will be returned to you. If after applying the balance of the security fee to pay a debt is not fully covered then the remaining balance of the debt is still owed and payable within 30 days of dismissal.

If proper notice of termination is not given, then the fee will be forfeited and payment for the final two weeks of care will still be owed.

Reply
Ac114 09:33 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't call it a deposit. I call it a fee. Deposit implies that they can get it back.
My two-week security fee is non-refundable, once I get it I don't give it back unless either myself or the client terminates care within the trial period and has already paid me for services rendered or if the started as full-time and moved down to part-time and then gave a proper 2 week notice and didn't owe me money so that when I applied the two week fee there was money leftover.

The two week security fee is applied towards their final 2 weeks of care first, then if anything is left and money is owed it goes towards that. Any remaining money owed is still due and any extra money leftover is returned via mailed check after the child's last day of care.

Does your contract have a trial period clause that says any party can terminate with no notice during this time?
If it does I'd return the money because you haven't rendered care yet and she's within her legal limits ... unless ...
Your contract say fees are non-refundable then you don't have to refund them.
I do not have a trial period in my contract. Just that a two weeks notice is required by either party but I may also tern immediately if necessary.
Reply
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
When you ladies require a deposit, is it refundable or do you use it towards the last 2 weeks of care or how do apply it in your contract?

I had a family that was going to start next Monday for 3 days a week. Originally they were going to start this past Monday but decided to push it back. She came and signed the contract and paid the first weeks worth of care because they pushed back his start date by a week. (I donít require a deposit) she just wrote me today and said that her husbands work schedule changed and now no longer needs care but will need her money back. The contract states I need a 2 week notice but she also didnít start care. So part of me feel like I held out for this spot for over 2 weeks and that I shouldnít refund her money but then i also didnít provide services. What would you ladies say or do? Iím learning as I go along so I will now implement a nonredunadbke deposit that will be used towards the first week of care to hold their spot.
I would simply email her back and tell her you are sorry things aren't going to work out and that unfortunately because you held the space and she already signed a contract you are unable to refund her money. Wish her well and leave it at that.

She signed the contract. That's when policies go into effect not the first day of attendance.
Reply
Ac114 09:55 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would simply email her back and tell her you are sorry things aren't going to work out and that unfortunately because you held the space and she already signed a contract you are unable to refund her money. Wish her well and leave it at that.

She signed the contract. That's when policies go into effect not the first day of attendance.
😱 I sent her a message and she responded well since I have already paid I would like to use the services I have paid for. I am floored.
Reply
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
😱 I sent her a message and she responded well since I have already paid I would like to use the services I have paid for. I am floored.
Let her know that as a courtesy you are allowing her to not provide a 2 week notice and keeping the money for holding the space as a fair compromise.

Buuuuut.....

If you have the room, then I would provide the services however, I'd make sure she understands that you require a 2 week notice of withdrawal if she wants to go that route. (Just make sure you get the money for the two weeks before allowing him to come for the week )
Reply
amberrose3dg 12:30 PM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
😱 I sent her a message and she responded well since I have already paid I would like to use the services I have paid for. I am floored.
Oh man that is gonna be an awkward situation. I bet they are late picking the kid up that week.
Reply
CityGarden 03:42 PM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would simply email her back and tell her you are sorry things aren't going to work out and that unfortunately because you held the space and she already signed a contract you are unable to refund her money. Wish her well and leave it at that.

She signed the contract. That's when policies go into effect not the first day of attendance.
I did this exact thing with someone and they ended up writing bad reviews for me everywhere online..... I did need the money since I held the spot for her but if I could have financially afforded it and had the opportunity for a do over I would have just refunded the money so I did not have to risk the negative reviews.
Reply
hwichlaz 05:47 PM 10-17-2018
They have to pay for their first period of care to be signed up. So it's going towards that first week/twoweeks/month of care. It depends on what their pay periods are. I charge for care in advance, from one pay day to the next for the parents. I just set kidkare up to auto invoice.
Reply
lovemykidstoo 05:08 AM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
😱 I sent her a message and she responded well since I have already paid I would like to use the services I have paid for. I am floored.
Oh geez, what a pain this person is. Be glad you're not keeping her. If she wants to use that 1 week, then hold her to the 2 week notice and therefore not only is she paying fo the 1 week that she already did, then she owes for the 2nd week too. She's only telling you that so you say, ok, I'll give you your money back.
Reply
Blackcat31 05:53 AM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I did this exact thing with someone and they ended up writing bad reviews for me everywhere online..... I did need the money since I held the spot for her but if I could have financially afforded it and had the opportunity for a do over I would have just refunded the money so I did not have to risk the negative reviews.
I understand not wanting bad reviews etc but when providers (in general) continually allow that type of action to influence their business policies, parents will always get what they want (short changing the provider) via a childish tantrum and/or threats to bad mouth.

I refuse to play that game no matter how badly I need the income and will always stand by my policies no matter what the possible fall out.
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 06:43 AM 10-18-2018
I would probably say that waiving the two week notice in lieu of one weeks payment was your way of compromise since they had not started yet, yet you have held a spot for X weeks. If they would like to start on Monday, as planned, then payment for the second week will also be required. Payment of $$$ will be due at drop off on Monday morning and Sam's last day of care will be Nov. 2.

I dont really hold spots, so when a parent starts, they would pay the first and last week, which are used for when they start and end care. When they say they are ending care, their last week is already paid for, so it's kind of a happy ending bc they dont have to write that last check, because they already did months ago.
Reply
Snowmom 09:29 AM 10-18-2018
My wording:

A $360 fee is required upon enrollment. This start up fee will be used to purchase items required for enrollment and the remaining balance will be applied to the last two weeks of care upon termination of the agreement as long as a full two-week (14 business days) written notice is given, no outstanding balance is due and the policies outlined in this handbook are upheld.
If you change your mind about your child attending before the enrollment start date, this fee will not be refunded. No partial or prorated refunds will be made at any time.
Reply
Ariana 09:53 AM 10-19-2018
wow what a crazy lady!! Why would you even want to send your kid?? It is clearly an awkward situation!

My contract states that the deposit is applied towards the last two weeks of care once the child has started. If for any reason care does not start at the set upon date the deposit will not be refunded. Basically the deposit holds the space and only goes towards the last two weeks when they start. If they donít start I keep the money. I also only hold spots that are not open yet.
Reply
Tags:deposit - forfeited, deposit - won't refund, deposit agreement, deposit policy, deposit refund, deposits
Reply Up