Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Disturbing:Psychopath Children
Crystal 07:40 AM 05-15-2012
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/kid...221400341.html
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 05-15-2012
OMG!

How absolutely chilling! I also have to say that I really honestly feel I have had this type of child in care before. I knew from a very early age and had all sorts of "signs" presented to me.

I never acted on them and even denied a few of them. I never would have approached his mother and said "Gee, I think your kid shows some psychopathic tendancies" but in my heart of hearts I know he did.

Fast forward several years and he is definitely on the path to doing some real damage.....I also feel it won't be long before he unfortunately becomes a resident of our state's penal system.

In hindsight, I wonder if I had said something, would it have changed his path or would anyone have really listened?

VERY interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
Crystal 08:26 AM 05-15-2012
I had a child like this in my care as well. At two years old he would choke kids, threw his infant brother on the floor on several occasions (not here) pushed him down stairs as he got older, and all kinds of "little" things here that he seemingly took great pleasure in. I referred him to a child psychologist, and the parents were told that it wasn't the child, it was their parenting, and were sent to parenting classes. While they did lack some basic skills, I found it very unfair to them, because it made them feel like they were bad parents, when in reality they had a child with "issues" I also found it unfair to the child, as he never recieved the help he needed. He finally left my program last year, at age 7.....I have heard from Mom about how horribly he is doing and it frightens me....for them AND for society.
sharlan 08:29 AM 05-15-2012
I'm sure I had one of those. I'm very curious as to what she is like today at 20. We left on bad terms so I'm sure I'll never know.
Crystal 08:29 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'm sure I had one of those. I'm very curious as to what she is like today at 20. We left on bad terms so I'm sure I'll never know.
Look her up on facebook
Unregistered 08:30 AM 05-15-2012
My mother had a boy just like that in her care.His mother abandoned him when he was 1.
He was raised by his father and girlfriend,they were both abusive. When he was 5 he and his father were in a car/train accident.His father literally died in front of him while they were trying to resue them.This kid was a mess. The mother claimed she had her life together so he was returned to her after living in several foster homes. By the time my mother enrolled him this kid was beyond help.Even after intensive therapy he never did recover.
He knew his mother left him when he was a baby and hated her,when he was almost a teenager he killed her,the stepfather and his baby sister.Set the house on fire and sat outside and watched it burn. The most disturbing child I have ever met.His eyes were almost black,empty and showed no emotion.
My mom did not know all this until he told her one day when she was making lunch-
"I'm waiting for you to set that knife down so I can stab you with it!"
Disturbing to say the least.So sad!
I was amazed that she could recall something that happened when she was 1 in the video.I always thought if you"saved" them early enough there was hope.
I guess that's not always the case
SunshineMama 08:50 AM 05-15-2012
That was a very informative, yet disturbing article. It is a good reminder about how important of a job we as providers have to provide the best environment that we can for these innocent littles. We can't save them all but we can do our best when we can.
B Lou 09:37 AM 05-15-2012
I watched the whole documentary and have to say I have a Godchild that is almost identical to that little girl Beth. He is now 13 years old and is in a center for troubled children. It is a very sad story. My friend and her husband adopted him at the age of 6. He too had been very abused as a small baby until he was removed from his birth parents.
He attacked his adopted mother several times and then onto a teacher. Which is why he is where he is.
I feel so very bad for him. I love him so much. But don't know how to help.
After watching this documentary maybe he would do good in a private home with someone who has special training as this lady in the documentary did.
This parents(adopted, I hate that title) were even told at one point that he(child) would NEVER learn to love. I disagree with that statement.
Any way thank you for sharing this story. It has put new ideas in my mind which I will share with my friend.
Thank you.
angelicpretty 09:46 AM 05-15-2012
Yes. Absolutely yes a child can be a psychopath.

Not all cases are as a result of abuse or bad parenting-sometimes a child is simply born that way. The brain is tricky and impossible to understand.

I have experienced a child like this first hand and its a heartbreaking and truly scary thing.
sharlan 10:03 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Look her up on facebook
She's not listed but her mom is. She has it set for private so I can't read anything.

This child never had remorse for anything. Everything was "an accident". I had to account for every single scrape and bruise. There was no point in trying to tell the parents anything because they always had an exuse. Their pediatrician had some really wacked out ideas. I was sooooooooo happy when they left after 5 years.
lovinkidsinchelsea 10:08 AM 05-15-2012
only had to discharge one troubled kid so farhttps://www.daycare.com/forum/images/smilies/happy.gif
cheerfuldom 10:13 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My mother had a boy just like that in her care.His mother abandoned him when he was 1.
He was raised by his father and girlfriend,they were both abusive. When he was 5 he and his father were in a car/train accident.His father literally died in front of him while they were trying to resue them.This kid was a mess. The mother claimed she had her life together so he was returned to her after living in several foster homes. By the time my mother enrolled him this kid was beyond help.Even after intensive therapy he never did recover.
He knew his mother left him when he was a baby and hated her,when he was almost a teenager he killed her,the stepfather and his baby sister.Set the house on fire and sat outside and watched it burn. The most disturbing child I have ever met.His eyes were almost black,empty and showed no emotion.
My mom did not know all this until he told her one day when she was making lunch-
"I'm waiting for you to set that knife down so I can stab you with it!"
Disturbing to say the least.So sad!
I was amazed that she could recall something that happened when she was 1 in the video.I always thought if you"saved" them early enough there was hope.
I guess that's not always the case
There are numerous amazing (but heartbreaking at times) studies in regard to bonding and attaching socially, especially to parents, at a young age. I haven't read the article yet but I do know that the bond created in early babyhood is essentially to a well balanced child. I know this is a huge concern for child that are adopted later in baby or childhood, children in orphanages or institutions and that sort of thing. When you don't have a healthy connection to others, it would make sense that you wouldnt care what happens to them, or worse, want to harm them yourself.
Meeko 10:21 AM 05-15-2012
As the mother of a 30 year old sociopath, I find these articles interesting. One thing to be informed of ...is the differences between psychopaths and sociopaths. The two are often confused and lumped together.

For the most part, psychopath's are unable to maintain "normal" relationships, and live on the fringe of society.... whereas a sociopath is very clever at maintaining the appearance of normality. Psychopathic behavior is most often erratic whereas sociopathic behavior is precisely controlled. Sociopathic behavior is usually harder to diagnose because of this.

You probably know at least one sociopath and have no idea! If you have a met a psychopath...you probably are very aware that they are not normal.

Children's behavior can be difficult to diagnose when mixed with natural growing up behavior too.

Characteristics of a sociopath are as followed :

1. Sociopaths are very charming.
2. Sociopaths can be extremely manipulative and will try to con you whenever possible.
3. Sociopaths feel that they are entitled to everything.
4. Sociopaths will lie continuously to get what they want. They can even sometimes manipulate a lie detector.
5. Sociopaths have no remorse, shame or guilt.
6. Sociopaths will show love and happiness only when it serves their purpose. None of the feelings are genuine.
7. Sociopaths have no room for love in their life.
8. Sociopaths need to have excitement in their lives or live on the edge.
9. Sociopaths have lack of empathy hen their victims suffer pain that they have caused.
10. Sociopaths believe that they are all mightier than tho, there is no concern on how their behavior impacts others.
11. Sociopaths usually have a long history of juvenile delinquency as well as behavior problems.
12. Sociopaths will never take blame for anything they have done to anyone no matter if it is family or friend.
13. Sociopaths have many sexual partners and tend to act out many sexual acts.
14. Sociopaths rarely stay in one place for a long time (home/work).
15. Sociopaths will change themselves if they know it will keep them from being found out.

Characteristics of a psychopath are as followed:

1. Psychopaths use superficial charm to lure their victims.
2. Psychopaths are extremely self-centered.
3. Psychopaths must always do something to keep themselves from boredom.
4. Psychopaths are very deceptive and tend to lie continuously.
5. Psychopaths show no remorse of guilt towards their victims.
6. Psychopaths are very predatory and usually will live off other people.
7. Psychopaths have many sexual partners in their lifetime.
8. Psychopaths are very impulsive with their lifestyle.
9. Psychopaths are always blaming other people for their actions.
10. Psychopaths never have a realistic view of their lives. (king of the world or from another planet)
11. Psychopaths always want psychological gratification in sexual and criminal activities.
12. Psychopaths tend to try suicide, rarely succeeding.

As you can see, some traits are similar, other are not.

But both should not be taken lightly. Both are dangerous. One more physically and one more mentally.

The article in the original post is mainly about children who's psychopathy is triggered by abuse.

If you have children in your care who display either psychotic or sociopathic tendencies........do not automatically assume they are abused. In fact, feel most empathy for their families who ARE being abused. It took me many, many years to acknowledge that I cannot help my son. That it's not my fault. That he simply does not...CANNOT......feel any remorse for his behavior. He does not care. He never will.

My focus has to be on the rest of our family. The three children I have left who are kind and generous and loving. They love their big brother, but have learned they are better off without him.

Parents of mentally disturbed children have a life-long sentence of emotional turmoil that their children will never feel. It's a cruel twist.
littlemissmuffet 10:25 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OMG!

How absolutely chilling! I also have to say that I really honestly feel I have had this type of child in care before. I knew from a very early age and had all sorts of "signs" presented to me.

I never acted on them and even denied a few of them. I never would have approached his mother and said "Gee, I think your kid shows some psychopathic tendancies" but in my heart of hearts I know he did.

Fast forward several years and he is definitely on the path to doing some real damage.....I also feel it won't be long before he unfortunately becomes a resident of our state's penal system.

In hindsight, I wonder if I had said something, would it have changed his path or would anyone have really listened?

VERY interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
True sociopaths are BORN sociopaths... and there is NOTHING anyone can say or do to correct them. Sociopaths/psychopaths fail to feel guilt... there is no treatment, therapy or medication that will ever change this. Some life-long therapies and life-long medical treatments can help violent outbursts and help to minimize criminal behaviour but at the end of the day if a person does not have a conscience they are MUCH more likely to commit various crimes and damage throughout their lifetime. Benign psycho/sociopaths do exist, but they too tend to cause relationship and family damage.
Meeko 10:25 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
As the mother of a 30 year old sociopath, I find these articles interesting. One thing to be informed of ...is the differences between psychopaths and sociopaths. The two are often confused and lumped together.

For the most part, psychopath's are unable to maintain "normal" relationships, and live on the fringe of society.... whereas a sociopath is very clever at maintaining the appearance of normality. Psychopathic behavior is most often erratic whereas sociopathic behavior is precisely controlled. Sociopathic behavior is usually harder to diagnose because of this.

You probably know at least one sociopath and have no idea! If you have a met a psychopath...you probably are very aware that they are not normal.

Children's behavior can be difficult to diagnose when mixed with natural growing up behavior too.

Characteristics of a sociopath are as followed :

1. Sociopaths are very charming.
2. Sociopaths can be extremely manipulative and will try to con you whenever possible.
3. Sociopaths feel that they are entitled to everything.
4. Sociopaths will lie continuously to get what they want. They can even sometimes manipulate a lie detector.
5. Sociopaths have no remorse, shame or guilt.
6. Sociopaths will show love and happiness only when it serves their purpose. None of the feelings are genuine.
7. Sociopaths have no room for love in their life.
8. Sociopaths need to have excitement in their lives or live on the edge.
9. Sociopaths have lack of empathy hen their victims suffer pain that they have caused.
10. Sociopaths believe that they are all mightier than tho, there is no concern on how their behavior impacts others.
11. Sociopaths usually have a long history of juvenile delinquency as well as behavior problems.
12. Sociopaths will never take blame for anything they have done to anyone no matter if it is family or friend.
13. Sociopaths have many sexual partners and tend to act out many sexual acts.
14. Sociopaths rarely stay in one place for a long time (home/work).
15. Sociopaths will change themselves if they know it will keep them from being found out.

Characteristics of a psychopath are as followed:

1. Psychopaths use superficial charm to lure their victims.
2. Psychopaths are extremely self-centered.
3. Psychopaths must always do something to keep themselves from boredom.
4. Psychopaths are very deceptive and tend to lie continuously.
5. Psychopaths show no remorse of guilt towards their victims.
6. Psychopaths are very predatory and usually will live off other people.
7. Psychopaths have many sexual partners in their lifetime.
8. Psychopaths are very impulsive with their lifestyle.
9. Psychopaths are always blaming other people for their actions.
10. Psychopaths never have a realistic view of their lives. (king of the world or from another planet)
11. Psychopaths always want psychological gratification in sexual and criminal activities.
12. Psychopaths tend to try suicide, rarely succeeding.

As you can see, some traits are similar, other are not.

But both should not be taken lightly. Both are dangerous. One more physically and one more mentally.

The article in the original post is mainly about children who's psychopathy is triggered by abuse.

If you have children in your care who display either psychotic or sociopathic tendencies........do not automatically assume they are abused. In fact, feel most empathy for their families who ARE being abused. It took me many, many years to acknowledge that I cannot help my son. That it's not my fault. That he simply does not...CANNOT......feel any remorse for his behavior. He does not care. He never will.

My focus has to be on the rest of our family. The three children I have left who are kind and generous and loving. They love their big brother, but have learned they are better off without him.

Parents of mentally disturbed children have a life-long sentence of emotional turmoil that their children will never feel. It's a cruel twist.
OK...now I'm bawling.........but it sometimes helps to let it out.
countrymom 10:43 AM 05-15-2012
I had 2 children like this.

child 1. I watched his younger brother. No one would watch the older brother (he's 11 now but I had him when he was 9) mom begged and pleaded with me, so I thought I could save him and change him around. The first couple days were fine, then it all went down hill. I termed the older brother but not the younger. He was diaganosed with adhd, but I tell you he doesn't have this. Also, he wasn't born this way either, his parents did this to him. From the time he was 6 weeks old he was dumped at daycare for over 12 hours a day, 5 days a week and some weekends while parents worked or went out. The daycare lady was an older lady and she could only do so much. The older he got the more he hated his parents, I really feel that he hated them because they abandoned him at such an early age that he never bonded with anyone. Apparently he's doing fine now, but I really doubt it. His younger brother lived at my house too, then I started enforcing my pick up and drop off times and making them have more time with their child and he was acually normal.

child 2. Well I had him from august to october. he was the devils spawn. I have never seen a child with angry black eyes before till I met this one. He was almost 4 (his birthday was in jan) you just knew, it was a creepy feeling. He made my hair stand on ends. Well on sat. I saw him and his dad, so his dad was talking to me. I literally couldn't look at this kid, it was such a creepy awful feeling that it still gives me shivers. But I can see him being a psychopath. I don't know too much about his home life so I have no idea why he is like he is. Maybe its because mom had 3 kids in 3 yrs and he didn't have attention given to him who knows, but he's scary.
Oneluckymom 10:59 AM 05-15-2012
WOW, fascinating article and watched part of the documentary too. I have one little girl NOW who will even pull the babies hair and smiles when the baby cries? Is This a psychopathic tendency?? She does it to their dogs at home too and has been nipped by them 3 times. She loves to the reaction.

Very interesting. I hope however, I never have a severely disturbed child in my care.
Meeko 11:21 AM 05-15-2012
Of course, abuse does dreadful things to children and as providers we must be attentive and keep our eyes open for signs of abuse.

BUT:

Would you see a disabled child in the store and simply assume his/her disability is the parent's fault? Would you tell a disabled person's family that they must have abused the child?

And yet people are very quick to assume that psychopaths and sociopaths are the product of abuse.

Sometimes they are. But sometimes they were born that way. The parents did nothing to make it happen and they can do nothing to change it.

Many are born with Downs Syndrome. Nothing to stop it......nothing to change it after birth. The last thing a parent wants is to be made to feel guilty.

I went through years of torment wondering if I had done things differently....if I had been tougher/gentler. If I had gotten help earlier......did I do something wrong in my pregnancy........it took a therapist to finally make me understand that I was not to blame. if my son had been born to any other parents the results would have been the same.

If you suspect abuse with any of your day care parents REPORT IT. But otherwise please reach out with love and understanding. They need as much help as possible.

I hope none of you ever have to be told that you need to distance yourself from your first born child fro your own sanity. That he doesn't care about you and will continue to abuse you as long as you let it continue. He will feel no remorse for even a second and will actually get a kick out of causing turmoil.

My faith is what keeps me going. I believe we are an eternal family. I believe my son cannot help himself and that in the hereafter he will be whole and be a part of our family again. But until then...it is torture and a kind word helps in so many ways from friends and family that know.

Sorry for being so long-winded. This is a subject that touches a VERY raw nerve for me and I tend to waffle on with my emotions getting the better of me.

PLEASE just be mindful that some mental conditions just are what they are. Nobody to blame.
Childminder 11:22 AM 05-15-2012
I currently have a sociopathic boy right now in care. He loves to be around people but is very calculating and cruel. I have referred him to a local organization that is supposed to help his mother deal with his behavior and they have contacted her but have not gotten back in touch with me.

I had another child a few years ago that I said would be in a juvie by 13yrs and he just spent his 14th birthday in one. His parents we're questionable with their skills and this current one does not raise any red flags so I think he's not being abused.

It can upset your entire program to have either a psychopath or a sociopath in care for sure.
momofsix 11:50 AM 05-15-2012
Oh Meeko...I'm so sorry. I wish I could say or do something to ease your pain.
I will be praying for you and your family. (((hugs)))
countrymom 11:50 AM 05-15-2012
yes, some children I really think are born this way, but I'm wondering if there is an increase in children becoming p or s because the way parenting styles have changed. For my first child that was in care, I really truelly believe it was his parents fault, they made him that way, they put their needs and wants before their child. the second kid, I have no idea, I don't know too much about their home life ( I have a suspicion that dad likes to drink alot and is abusive to mom-he use to be dh's boss) but I wonder if he was born this way too.
Crystal 12:01 PM 05-15-2012
Meeko.....I know you have shared some of your story here before, but I'd like to thank you for sharing again. I think it is very important that people like you share their stories.....for YOU to heal and to help others recognize when their own family member may be sociopathic. Hugs to you, I can only imagine the pain you and your family have endured over the years.
Meeko 12:04 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Oh Meeko...I'm so sorry. I wish I could say or do something to ease your pain.
I will be praying for you and your family. (((hugs)))
That's all anyone can do and I thank you...I appreciate your prayers
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 05-15-2012
((((HUGS)))))
EntropyControlSpecialist 12:45 PM 05-15-2012
I believe I have a sociopath in my car at this point in time. It makes me nervous.

With my family adopting ... it always concerns me that we might add a child to our family who has these tendencies.
Meeko 01:28 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by LCLC:
I believe I have a sociopath in my car at this point in time. It makes me nervous.

With my family adopting ... it always concerns me that we might add a child to our family who has these tendencies.
Take notes. I wish I had done it with my son. When it's on paper, you see a pattern so much more clearly.
JEM 01:57 PM 05-15-2012
(((((((((((Meeko)))))))))))))) My family has recently entered into the nightmare that is mental illness with our 20 year old son. It is the worst thing we have ever been through..........so I understand........
Meeko 02:03 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by JEM:
(((((((((((Meeko)))))))))))))) My family has recently entered into the nightmare that is mental illness with our 20 year old son. It is the worst thing we have ever been through..........so I understand........
Hugs right back Jem. Be sure to get help for YOU.
Christian Mother 02:05 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Meeko.....I know you have shared some of your story here before, but I'd like to thank you for sharing again. I think it is very important that people like you share their stories.....for YOU to heal and to help others recognize when their own family member may be sociopathic. Hugs to you, I can only imagine the pain you and your family have endured over the years.
This was said very well!!!

Meeko...how heart breaking..I can't imagine your pain and what your going through ...what you've gone through. My heart goes out to you and your family. And to your first born. It's really hard to not love our children even when they don't or can't love us back. Know that I am praying for you and I do agree that when we do pass on the Lord will make your son whole and he will give you that love you have been looking for for so long.
temom 02:05 PM 05-15-2012
Meeko and Jem, ((( HUGS))))) i so admire you ladies and my thoughts and prayers with the both of you, i am sure with mothers as caring as the two of you there will be a silver lining. God bless you guys.
JEM 02:43 PM 05-15-2012
Thanks Meeko and Temom. We're pretty new at this but I have to say that if I had to choose anything positive about this experience it would have to be that I know now how strong we are as a family. This is not the way I wanted to learn that..........
Tags:psychotic children
Reply Up