Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Mother Goose Time
frgsonmysox 11:32 AM 03-03-2013
I'm looking into buying this for my inhome daycare. Does anyone have an experience with it? I'm also getting the toy kits, so if anyone has ever gotten those are they well made?
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 03-03-2013
* nice to see you back!

I've used both Mother Goose Time and Funshine Express but stopped when I realized most the crafts were done by me and I felt a majority of the activities were things I could come up with on my own and save myself the cost. Which I think is kind of expensive IMPO.

Here are some other threads about MGT

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...her+goose+time
Country Kids 08:42 PM 03-03-2013
I love MGT!!!! All time favorite curriculum to use.

I just learned also, it is now approved as one of the curriculums to use on the "STARS" program. I was extremely excited about that!!!! So I'm thinking it must be national accrediated or something along that lines.
Unregistered 05:00 AM 03-04-2013
I have used Mother Goose Time for two years and they always recommend that you put the art supplies in the middle of the table and allow children to create "as desired." They are always talking about the value of the process instead of the "end product." I love that they give me some art supplies to provide the kids, it saves me a lot of money - . We keep a collage box so that the children can embellish their designs.

As for the ToyBoxes, I LOVE these. They only use high quality brands such as Melissa and Doug, Plan Toys, Learning Resources. They are a great deal. I don't buy them every month because my budget is tight, but whenever parents ask what I need, I request they contribute to our Play Bucket and I save that money up to buy the ToyBoxes.
butterfly 11:54 AM 03-04-2013
I bought MGT for one year. I've laminated and reused the materials several times. I rarely do the crafts for several reasons - my group is very young, the parents tend to throw away the crafts in my garbage before they leave here, I got tired of feeling like I had to complete the crafts for the ones who were too little to do them themselves... As my kids get older, I'm sure I'll start doing the crafts again, but I'll just use my materials rather than ordering it again for multiple kids. (I order MGT for just 1 kid, but make copies of the things I need more of)

It is kinda spendy, but for me - when I reuse it for several years - I feel it's worth the cost. I like how each day is laid out for you. I tend to add extra things to my curriculum, but if I'm feeling lazy that day, I can just use the materials that are provided and still feel like I've had a great 'school' day with the kids.

I just ordered one month of funshine (came in the mail today). Although it seems very similar to MGT, it doesn't have things packaged for each day as MGT does. In my opinion the MGT is much more user friendly for someone who doesn't want to spend the time preplanning things.

I have not used the toy boxes that they sell. I like the idea of them, but I just couldn't justify the cost when I already had some similar items on hand.
MarinaVanessa 02:43 PM 03-04-2013
I used to use MGT but my kids weren't very enthusiastic about the activities so I stopped. I've never purchased the toy boxes either because I did the math and realized that if I bought everything individually on Amazon, Walmart or Target (mostly Amazon) that I'd be saving more money than the box was worth and I'd be getting exactly the same items.

I did however come upon The Learning Box which a few providers around me use. Their daycare kids seem to really enjoy the activities and they are pre-made and come with everything you need except for glue, crayons, markers etc. just like MGT. The Learning Box also has a 5 day package option or a 3 day package option if you would rather not do a curriculum 5 days a week.

Both TLB and MGT cost about the same including the shipping.

I also didn't like that when I ordered MGT it advertised that I would be getting a book in every box to go with the curriculum and I got one book in the first shippment and then never got another one again ... well not a real book anyway, I got a small book that looked like it was made by MGT and not like a real published book like the photo showed. I did like that MGT sends a CD with music to go with the lessons which TLB doesn't seem to do. All in all it just felt that I was putting in a lot more effort in preparing the materials, punching out cards and activities, cutting stuff etc.

I'm going to try the Summer curriculum for TLB and see how the kids and I like it and then decide whether or not to continue using it in September.

The Learning Box
Country Kids 02:45 PM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I used to use MGT but my kids weren't very enthusiastic about the activities so I stopped. I've never purchased the toy boxes either because I did the math and realized that if I bought everything individually on Amazon, Walmart or Target (mostly Amazon) that I'd be saving more money than the box was worth and I'd be getting exactly the same items.

I did however come upon The Learning Box which a few providers around me use. Their daycare kids seem to really enjoy the activities and they are pre-made and come with everything you need except for glue, crayons, markers etc. just like MGT. The Learning Box also has a 5 day package option or a 3 day package option if you would rather not do a curriculum 5 days a week.

Both TLB and MGT cost about the same including the shipping.

I also didn't like that when I ordered MGT it advertised that I would be getting a book in every box to go with the curriculum and I got one book in the first shippment and then never got another one again ... well not a real book anyway, I got a small book that looked like it was made by MGT and not like a real published book like the photo showed. I did like that MGT sends a CD with music to go with the lessons which TLB doesn't seem to do. All in all it just felt that I was putting in a lot more effort in preparing the materials, punching out cards and activities, cutting stuff etc.

I'm going to try the Summer curriculum for TLB and see how the kids and I like it and then decide whether or not to continue using it in September.

The Learning Box
No book-really? I would have called! I got a book every single month and they were nice books.
sunlight 06:15 AM 03-05-2013
I too have used both Funshine and MGT. I actually used Funshine for almost 5 years! Then last year they changed their curriculum requirnments and it didn't work for me plus raised there shipping rates. They seemed to put in less printables for letters and numbers but incorporated a "booklet" like MGT does for their letters and numbers which my kids would finish in a couple of days. Both are very "pretty". The crafts in Funshine were cute but the kids had lots of trouble and it was very hands on for me to do and I ended up doing most of them. MGT is very nature/enviornmental based which I thought was cool. But again not enough printables for letters and numbers. That is what the parents want lots of letters and numbers. Then I found Early Start Fun Learning Curriculum http://www.earlystart.biz/family-providers.aspx
It is way more affordable than either MGT or Funshine. No high cost shipping here! The entire program has lots of printables, and several crafts that are easy for the kids to do, even for my younger 2-3 year olds. It comes with every thing needed for the month. It's not as "pretty" as the above ones and there are no laminated items. But the kids love it and so do the parents, and me!

Hope this gives a different perspective
frgsonmysox 07:03 PM 03-08-2013
Thank you so much for the replies! I ended up ordering one months worth and so far I really really like it. I'm not a fan of the cost, and neither is my husband, but I am laminating everything I get so I think there will be a lot of longevity and my own kids can benefit too.

I love the toys as well. Even though they are pricey they are very educational.

You also get a free starter kit that includes all the signs, and charts, ect that are really helpful for setting up your daycare areas.
Tags:mother goose time
Reply Up