Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Milestones Chart?
Thriftylady 06:46 AM 07-23-2015
That probably isn't what I am looking for but I don't know what to call it. My 16 month old has me worried. She has few verbal skills, says maybe 5 words. Are there charts out there somewhere that I can see what she should know or be doing, that I can use to see where I need to put more time and effort working with her and then use them to track whatever progress we are making? I think if I worked with her we could gain ground, but I need to figure out where to start.
midaycare 07:19 AM 07-23-2015
I would just google "milestone chart". There are so many out there, and they are all pretty close.

If you are worried about speech at 16 months, don't. I have dck's who came to me at 2 not saying 5 words and now at 3 they won't stop talking
Leigh 08:06 AM 07-23-2015
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/

You can ask your local Birth-Three provider to do an evaluation for you, too.
Unregistered 09:24 AM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/

You can ask your local Birth-Three provider to do an evaluation for you, too.
Someone in an older thread shared the link to order things from the CDC including the milestones booklet. I ordered them and plan to give them out when my new school year starts.

And I agree about asking for an evaluation if you have concerns. I typically wait until 18months-2yrs though because it's hard to say when they are younger and free services in my state end once they turn 3 yrs old so I don't wait past 2 to refer. Most families cannot afford to pay for speech therapy out of pocket. I have primary worked with 2-3yr olds and when my radar goes up regarding a concern about language, I refer for testing and find the child usually qualifies for speech therapy. Yes, some children are just late talkers, however there are a few that really need help and those are the ones we need to catch and help. There are usually other signs that the child may need to be evaluated.

I have an almost 2 dck that I will be referring, however dcm is aware that dck doesn't say words, which was one reason they enrolled dck in my program, hoping dck would start talking. Dck has started to say a couple of words, which took 2 months the amount of time she has been with me, however I feel she would qualify and really benefit with one on one speech therapy. I have also seen some signs that dck may have some sensory issues which sometimes is linked to speech. Children I have referred, usually test out of their speech and occupational therapy a couple of months before their 3 rd birthday.
Michael 12:54 PM 07-23-2015
More Milestone threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=milestones
284878 06:13 AM 07-25-2015
Age and stages is great for this.
I also just took an Online class called "watch me" that gave me some files. I think it was through the CDC.
Tags:milestones
Reply Up