Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh Can Anyone Help With This
daycare 04:14 PM 09-12-2017
I sent a child home several weeks (about 3 weeks)ago because they had a rash all over their body, It was diagnosed as bug bites and was allowed to return.

During this time the child has not left them alone, they are from head to toe. Every where. Well since the child has been picking at them, they got infected.

I sent the child home today because they had open sores all over the body and they were pussing, they look very infected.

parent just called and said the child has staphylococcal impetigo. I looked it up and it says its highly contagious, but I cant find out much more information than the basics.

has anyone dealt with this. What should I be concerned about and do I need to tell other parents?

the one thing I couldn't find out is how is this spread..

thanks in advance
Ariana 05:44 PM 09-12-2017
It is spread by coming into contact with the pus coming from an open sore. It is highly contagious BUT I had a child in care with it and I thought it was her eczema acting up and didn't think anything of it so she spent the day here. That evening at pickup I told mom to take her to the DR because it looked bad and was oozing. Turns out it was impetigo. No one else got it.

I allowed her to return 24 hours after first application of antibiotic cream and she had to have a long sleeve shirt and any sores on hands were to be covered with a bandaid. It was super hot here but mom complied and all was well. I let her know that if it becomes too much for me to handle (if she started picking non stop or the cuts were oozing like crazy) I would be calling for pickup and mom understood. It clears up pretty quickly but the kid has to stop scratching.

My own daughter has mosquito bites that she got while camping a few weeks ago and she can't stop picking her scabs. She is now covered head to toe in bandaids for this very reason.
daycare 09:18 PM 09-12-2017
oh no....thank you so much for responding. Makes me feel so much better that i made the parent put the child in long pants and shirt despite the crazy hot weather we are having. The child was picking at them through their clothing.

after getting the doctors note that they were just bug bites, the parent refused my request for long pants and shirt, but I said well then they can't come because they are picking them open and won't leave them alone and they are going to get infected.

As soon as the child started itching them they came open and were bleeding daily and yet the parent still refused to cover them with anything but clothing. The child even picks them through the clothing. I fell so bad for this child and am just upset about the fact that it got to this point to begin with.

even worse is that the dcm told me that she let the child go back to the location of their yard to play again and got even more of these bites because the dcm was tired of fighting the kid on staying out of that area. So kid showed up on monday with more bug bites all over the face, which was the only area that the child did not have covered.

uuuggghhhhhhhh is it friday yet?
daycarediva 03:46 AM 09-13-2017
Can you imagine the uproar if the child came home from daycare covered in bites?!

I don't understand parents. I have a dcg allowed to play in the open field behind her house. Long grass. Hello, ticks??? She's covered in bites. I told mom to cover them. She will have scarring, especially on her face where they can't be reasonably covered.
daycare 06:21 AM 09-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Can you imagine the uproar if the child came home from daycare covered in bites?!

I don't understand parents. I have a dcg allowed to play in the open field behind her house. Long grass. Hello, ticks??? She's covered in bites. I told mom to cover them. She will have scarring, especially on her face where they can't be reasonably covered.
Right if there was even one bite on them and it came from my house the parent would be screaming mad.

I'm not too what ticks are. I've heard of them but never seen one. They are not common to this area but it sounds horrible. I'm going to go google it.

Poor kids. Don't get me wrong. I'm all about nature. I love to encourage kids to play outside in their yards. But not when their health could be at risk.
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 09-13-2017
Here is the info sheet my state provides

http://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henne...ider.pdf?la=en

Your DH needs to make something similar for you.
Having someone that works in the medical field as he does in the house should be an instant source of knowledge and information for you about common illness/diseases that happen in child care settings.
daycare 09:38 AM 09-13-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is the info sheet my state provides

http://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henne...ider.pdf?la=en

Your DH needs to make something similar for you.
Having someone that works in the medical field as he does in the house should be an instant source of knowledge and information for you about common illness/diseases that happen in child care settings.
I will have to send that to him. He does not want to help with the DC at all. lol he did years ago, but now has no desire.

BTW thank you for this information
Reply Up