Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need to Vent- Naptime
Unregistered 11:50 AM 09-22-2017
I am tearing my hair out here. Why don't kids nap anymore?

Only 5 kiddos today, I is actually sleeping. A 22 month old, a 6 month old an a young 2 are not sleeping. This is a daily issue. I have been doing this line of work for over 20 years and this is maddening. I have tried together I rooms, separate rooms, white noise, fans, etc. etc and they just don't sleep. One is a screamer, over EVERYTHING, so she sits in her room screaming after 30 minutes.

What in the world is going on with these kids? They must all go to bed at 6 pm when they get home and get their days worth of sleep in there, because they don't NAP!
Ariana 11:55 AM 09-22-2017
Have you sleep trained them or do you get them up when they scream?
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am tearing my hair out here. Why don't kids nap anymore?

Only 5 kiddos today, I is actually sleeping. A 22 month old, a 6 month old an a young 2 are not sleeping. This is a daily issue. I have been doing this line of work for over 20 years and this is maddening. I have tried together I rooms, separate rooms, white noise, fans, etc. etc and they just don't sleep. One is a screamer, over EVERYTHING, so she sits in her room screaming after 30 minutes.

What in the world is going on with these kids? They must all go to bed at 6 pm when they get home and get their days worth of sleep in there, because they don't NAP!
What types of activities are you doing prior to nap?

I have THE best sleepers. I have a dozen kids. Age 1-5 and have half in one room and half in the other. All sleep without issues (although most of their parents say otherwise) but I make sure we are SUPER busy (not only mentally but physically as well) prior to rest time.

9 out of 10 times half the kids are asleep before I am done laying out the rest mats.

I'd look at what you can do within your day to help them be tired.
hwichlaz 01:07 PM 09-22-2017
My nap time really sucks today because we couldn't get outside. The heat pump repair guys were out there with their tools all over the place.
flying_babyb 06:35 PM 09-22-2017
Nap sucked for us today too cause it was SO hot we had to go in after a hour. Bear hunt (even when done 5 times) is just not enough.
laundrymom 07:25 PM 09-22-2017
It was a rough week here. Our outdoor time was minutes. So humid and hot and I've got one little guy who gasped and had to have inhaler after a few minutes. Next week will be cooler. I keep reminding myself.
storybookending 09:12 PM 09-22-2017
Our outside time is in the afternoon. Weather here this week was ridiculous. Monday it was dreary with no rain but you could hear thunder so I kept the kids inside. It's SO hard to explain to kids why we can't go out when it's thundering even if it's not raining. The state says no go, if you can hear thunder you can get struck by lightening. Tuesday was beautiful! Wednesday it was again thundering this time at least there was rain to go along with it, pouring rain that started and stopped out of no where. Thursday was sticky humid, And of course they came and sprayed the lawn so we had to walk to the park for outside time. Today the heat index was like 95! Can't go outside if it's above 90. Hoping for cooler weather next week (I haven't checked the forecast)

Bright side is my kids napped wonderfully all week, today being the best. I treated myself to a smoothie and sat my butt on the couch for a whole hour and started the new season of Fuller House on Netflix.
Unregistered 02:55 PM 09-24-2017
Is there more than 1 nap during the day? Normally children 12 months and younger are still on their individual schedules and I find they normally take a couple of short naps instead of 1 longer one.
Josiegirl 03:07 PM 09-24-2017
I use soft music, the same CD every single day. If they lay down and I haven't turned it on after a couple minutes, they remind me.

Can you hang mobiles from the ceiling to give them something to gaze at?

Right now, I have 5 FT dcks and the only 1 who doesn't sleep on a good schedule is the almost 4 mo. But the rest, ages just turned 1 yo- almost 4 yo.....they're out cold within a few minutes. My groups have not always been like this. And nothing like non-nappers to ruin the rest of the day for you and everyone else, because usually when 1 can't rest there are more that don't rest because of it.
Cat Herder 07:02 AM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What in the world is going on with these kids?
Motion equipment. No family breakfast. Limited physical activity. "Don't cry" sugar/starch diet. Long hours in group care. Long hours in confinement equipment.
midaycare 07:19 AM 09-25-2017
Are they all sleeping in different rooms? Mine all sleep together within a a few feet of each other and do great. I had a screamer who could not be separated from others.
daycare 07:46 AM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Are they all sleeping in different rooms? Mine all sleep together within a a few feet of each other and do great. I had a screamer who could not be separated from others.
mine all sleep in the same room and everyone of them sleep for at least 2 hours. My kids are all 2-5 years. We play hard, eat healthy and I just tire them out.

I also play relaxation music and white noise together.
daycarediva 11:27 AM 09-25-2017
I've never had kids not take a full nap if they're here/used to our schedule after a while.

Protein filled breakfast, NO sugar. LOTS of water, fresh air, active play.

Healthy, relaxed lunch. NO sugar.

Specific, quiet transition activities.

Music and white noise.

All of my kids are within 2 feet of each other. Some are out before I finish laying everyone down.
LostMyMarbles 02:11 PM 09-25-2017
It is not just nap time that is an issue now a days, it behavior as well. I have been doing day care for 28 years. Time outs do not work, oh wait, do we call them time to think now so we do not hurt their spirit. I am tired of all the politically correct crap. Kids are more difficult that years ago. Change in how we have to handle things so we don't crush their spirit is making kids bratty and spoiled. In my opinion.
daycarediva 10:36 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
It is not just nap time that is an issue now a days, it behavior as well. I have been doing day care for 28 years. Time outs do not work, oh wait, do we call them time to think now so we do not hurt their spirit. I am tired of all the politically correct crap. Kids are more difficult that years ago. Change in how we have to handle things so we don't crush their spirit is making kids bratty and spoiled. In my opinion.

Papa 05:04 PM 09-26-2017
We have a few that are troubling not bad. We use one of those heavy blankets they make for kids that don't sit still. Use to have three but we loaned them out and they are gone now. All we ask is to rest. Most sleep but there are a few. The biggest complaint......
The parents, they never give naps on the weekends and some will ask if we can not let their kid nap because they stay up till 9:30 at night. It's All I can do to hold it in, do they not have control over their kids. I sometimes ask if they ever watch supper nanny. Crazy
Josiegirl 01:57 AM 09-27-2017
Dcdiva, that IS the best!! I'd love something like that to post on my bulletin board!! It's so true.
HappyEverAfter 05:31 AM 09-28-2017
Mine usually all do pretty well with napping but my 4mth old has suddenly hit a 4mth sleep regression phase and I swear I thought I was going to lose my mind yesterday. He was here 10.5 hours and slept at most 30 (non consecutive of course) minutes all day. That meant that by midday, I had a fussy baby and I was also feeling a little fussy because I got no quiet time or break for myself all freaking day. Praying I can get him to sleep today!
Tags:naptime issues
Reply Up