Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do For Personal Appointments?
melilley 10:33 AM 11-11-2012
Hi. I live in MI and am opening a family daycare. According to licensing, you have to have an emergency person, which I have, but that that person is to be used for emergency purposes only, not for Dr., Dentist etc... appointments. Most offices are not open past 6 and I will be open until then. I have no reasons to hire an assistant. For one, I do not need one and for two, I don't think that I could find anyone to work just when I have an appointment. Also, for the training requirements for an assistant, it costs a lot to get them qualified to be an assistant and it wouldn't be worth training someone to just work for a few days out of the year. What do you do? My children and I have to go to the dentist and doctor's office sometime!
Willow 11:34 AM 11-11-2012
I pick my least busiest day of the week and then send out notice that I'll be taking the day off several weeks if not a couple of months before then.

I knock out all anticipated appointments that way....usually only need to take one day a year. Our dentist and eye doctor have Saturday appointments, many fortunately do.
itlw8 12:06 PM 11-11-2012
My dh is my sub and is allowed to aub for me. It is not many hours a month but it is enough when I make an appt at the end of the day. years ago HE took the kids to the dr and I made a list of questions I had for the dr.

Now I take off on state holidays and make my appts on those days.
frugalmama4 12:08 PM 11-11-2012
I have it in my policies 5 paid personal and 5 paid sick days, alone with two weeks of vacation time (not taken together).

I also have to house helpers (people I pay to watch the kiddos) my husband is my # one back-up (when it makes since for him to take off from work)

You could-

Schedule appointments as late as possible (close early)
If you have a helper schedule appointment's in the early am.
If you know any other provider in your area be friend them and work together (providing back up for each other)...I have a really good friend about 3 minutes from me and we work together, by providing back-up care for each other...it keeps our businesses going and we an make some extra $$$ on the side. And not to mention it keeps our daycare families happy!

Good Luck!
DaisyMamma 12:09 PM 11-11-2012
My emergency sub is also just a sub. She is a SAHM with one child and brings her child with her when she works for me. Is there anyone in your family that would be willing to do it? Husband, sister, mother?
melilley 12:21 PM 11-11-2012
Thanks everyone! I do have people that could come over and take over for me at anytime, but the problem is is that in MI you can't have just anyone watch the children. They have to be assistants that go through the whole training process which includes CPR, First Aid, a background check, TB test, and 5 hours a year of training, all of which I have to pay for. I wish I could just let my husband or family member sub without having to go through all of that!
melilley 12:23 PM 11-11-2012
Frugalmama4 Good idea, and they don't get mad? I guess it is in your policy and they have no choice but to comply! How do I post a reply to someone who answers my post? Sorry, I'm new and trying to figure out this site!
DaisyMamma 12:28 PM 11-11-2012
Originally Posted by melilley:
Thanks everyone! I do have people that could come over and take over for me at anytime, but the problem is is that in MI you can't have just anyone watch the children. They have to be assistants that go through the whole training process which includes CPR, First Aid, a background check, TB test, and 5 hours a year of training, all of which I have to pay for. I wish I could just let my husband or family member sub without having to go through all of that!
Yes, my sub has to do all of that. It is a pain, but is worth it! Once I got to the point of being full I started using her A LOT. She comes a few afternoons a week and at least one morning a week.. it does wonders for my sanity! I get some alone time with my kids, do errands, appointments, etc.

Some other home daycare providers in my area share subs. So if you have another DC in your area that has a sub, perhaps they can sub for your DC as well?
You could put a post on craigslist looking for someone to sub and request that they are already certified in CPR and approved by your state. That would also save you a few dollar$.
melilley 04:47 PM 11-11-2012
Thanks! I didn't think to do any of that! I guess I am thinking that I can do this ALL on my own, though I have been told that I might want to have someone help once I get going!
MyKzooFamily 09:01 PM 11-11-2012
Are you sure on this? I was under the understanding that your husband could watch the children. Since he is a member of your household, he had to get his background check and TB test done as well. I personally plan on taking off 1 day every couple months for important appointments. Luckily my kids don't visit the DR's very much, and I don't really have any appointments. But ones I do need, I will plan in as much notice as I can, and take the day off. OR, just close early that day.

When my children were in daycare, my daycare provider did that to us, and I didn't mind it, as long as I had enough notice. And I also didn't mind if her husband or helper watched them instead.
MyKzooFamily 09:03 PM 11-11-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Yes, my sub has to do all of that. It is a pain, but is worth it! Once I got to the point of being full I started using her A LOT. She comes a few afternoons a week and at least one morning a week.. it does wonders for my sanity! I get some alone time with my kids, do errands, appointments, etc.

Some other home daycare providers in my area share subs. So if you have another DC in your area that has a sub, perhaps they can sub for your DC as well?
You could put a post on craigslist looking for someone to sub and request that they are already certified in CPR and approved by your state. That would also save you a few dollar$.
I have thought of doing this as well. Honestly, if I was going to be a helper, and get paid a decent amount to 'sub' and I knew that it would have the possibility of being long term, I would pay for my own CPR certification and whatever else was needed, or at least pay 50% of the costs. There are lots of jobs that require certifications, why shouldn't something like this!
DaisyMamma 03:32 AM 11-12-2012
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily:
I have thought of doing this as well. Honestly, if I was going to be a helper, and get paid a decent amount to 'sub' and I knew that it would have the possibility of being long term, I would pay for my own CPR certification and whatever else was needed, or at least pay 50% of the costs. There are lots of jobs that require certifications, why shouldn't something like this!
right, exactly.
melilley 10:37 AM 11-13-2012
Are you sure on this? I was under the understanding that your husband could watch the children. Since he is a member of your household, he had to get his background check and TB test done as well. I personally plan on taking off 1 day every couple months for important appointments. Luckily my kids don't visit the DR's very much, and I don't really have any appointments. But ones I do need, I will plan in as much notice as I can, and take the day off. OR, just close early that day.

When my children were in daycare, my daycare provider did that to us, and I didn't mind it, as long as I had enough notice. And I also didn't mind if her husband or helper watched them instead.
I hope I am replying the right way, I'm still trying to get used to this site! Yes, I am sure of this, if you look at rule R400.1903, 1(f) it tells you that you can have an emergency person and they are for emergencies only, not for routine appointments, unless they qualify as an Assistant as defined in ruleR400.1904. I know a few caregivers who use their husbands as well, but unless they qualify as an assistant it is not in compliance with licensing. Also, you can go to the State of Michigan website and there is a link that provides technical assistance to each rule and it goes in great detail explaining all of the rules, it has really helped me! On another note, I guess I didn't think to take a day off, I think I need to not be as soft and feel bad for taking days off! That will probably be my number downfall to doing in home care!
melilley 10:39 AM 11-13-2012
I guess I didn't think of it that way!
jojosmommy 11:04 AM 11-13-2012
Hi. I live in MI and am opening a family daycare. According to licensing, you have to have an emergency person, which I have, but that that person is to be used for emergency purposes only, not for Dr., Dentist etc... appointments. Most offices are not open past 6 and I will be open until then. I have no reasons to hire an assistant. For one, I do not need one and for two, I don't think that I could find anyone to work just when I have an appointment. Also, for the training requirements for an assistant, it costs a lot to get them qualified to be an assistant and it wouldn't be worth training someone to just work for a few days out of the year. What do you do? My children and I have to go to the dentist and doctor's office sometime!
I go on my last week of Dec week off. I schedule waaaaayyy in advance. All follow ups are done on the paid state holidays I am closed, like Presidents, MLK. Those days dentist and doc are usually open. I also close in July and do the same. We schedule way in advance.

I do have 3 subs though so I can leave during the day on rare occassions if I need to. One is a former provider who just subs PT now at a lot of the local daycare homes. See if you can find someone like that.
EAP 11:16 AM 11-14-2012
I found a sub agency and have two subs I have used for those matters and as my emergency back-up. I do have 4 paid "emergency closure" days built into my contract but really don't want to interupt my parents work schedules, unless it really is an issue.
Reply Up