Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Rules For Eating & Seconds ?
blandino 07:10 AM 11-13-2012
I never make our kids eat anything or finish their plates, but they do have to clear their plate in order to get seconds. Unless ,Of course, they are wanting more fruit or vegetables.

I have always done it like this, and was just curious as to what everyone else does.
youretooloud 07:21 AM 11-13-2012
They don't have to eat everything. (or anything for that fact) But, if they want seconds of something, they need to have eaten what they have first. We aren't filling up on one part of a meal and throwing the rest away.
countrymom 07:24 AM 11-13-2012
it depends what it is. I have littles who will only eat fruit so no they don't get seconds on that unless other things have been eaten. (who wants to clean up diarrhea) but I have some who like to eat mash potatoes so I will give a second to that.
itlw8 07:40 AM 11-13-2012
seconds are for hungry children

That means you eat what is on your plate before taking seconds on anything.

That said If everyone has eaten their veggies and I have more I will ask everyone before serving seconds so they all get a little bit.
Lyss 08:16 AM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
They don't have to eat everything. (or anything for that fact) But, if they want seconds of something, they need to have eaten what they have first. We aren't filling up on one part of a meal and throwing the rest away.
This is my theory too. I have kids that eat really well, unless I offer seconds of fruit prior to them finishing the other food on their plate then suddenly everything else is "yucky" and all they want is the fruit.
iheartkids 08:21 AM 11-13-2012
It just all depends on what it is and how much of it I have. I'm not stingy about seconds but if I only have a little left and every kid wants some then I will follow the "eat your other food rule" but if I have a ton of something (lets say green beans) I will give them 2 helpings without any debate.
MNMum 08:36 AM 11-13-2012
This is how I do it as well, for kids old enough to understand what I am saying when I explain this! I do have one 21 mo old that will just keep eating. So I feed him a reasonable amount, then he is done.
daycarediva 08:46 AM 11-13-2012
exactly this!
Heidi 08:47 AM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
This is how I do it as well, for kids old enough to understand what I am saying when I explain this! I do have one 21 mo old that will just keep eating. So I feed him a reasonable amount, then he is done.
Me too, although if a child is particularly grossed out by something, I don't usually push it, they just need to make an attempt to try it, then they can have another helping from a different food group.

One of mine just hates most vegies, so I give him a minimal amount to begin with, thus limiting the conflict. When he asks for more pizza, say, I just say matter-of-factly "oh, sure, as soon as your plate is empty". Sometimes he then eats the vegies, sometimes he decided he's not that hungry after all.
KDC 08:54 AM 11-13-2012
I must be a meanie because I don't offer seconds. I offer enough food to get them to their next snack, and believe in portion control. As toddlers, they shouldn't need a large portion. I've also had my kiddo's a long time and know their tastes, so if they won't touch the green beans, I offer a smaller portion than someone who shovels them in. It greatly simplifies lunch time as well... sometimes there's only a small amount left, and if it's first ask, first get -- there's guaranteed to be 'no fair' comment by the slow eater. Also, kids are 'copy cats' and may not really want the extra food, but because so and so asked for more, they do too, and then have a tummy ache in about 20 mins, bah. No seconds
allsmiles 10:23 AM 11-13-2012
im a meanie as well..i dont offer seconds and so many times my kids refuse to even try the veggies. Snack time is hard because those are the times really when my kids are asking for more and my sub's philosophy is the exact opposite of mine..juice and food goes so fast when she is there LOL.. she doesnt want the kids to be hungry..smh.. LOL
jojosmommy 11:06 AM 11-13-2012
I agree 100%. If you are still hungry eat what is on your plate. If not then sit politely! Otherwise some of my DCK would just eat the bread portion, and have seconds on bread/grain and never eat a bite of anything else. Since that is not healthy, I help them make healthier choices by only allowing seconds if they eat up the rest of what is on their plate.
WImom 11:13 AM 11-13-2012
I do the same unless it's veggies they want more of, I will always let them have more of that. Everyone eats all their fruit and some kids that's all they eat so I don't give more fruit unless they eat everything else.
kitykids3 11:33 AM 11-13-2012
No seconds on anything unless plate is clean and milk is gone. If they don't want to finish what's on their plate, they're not that hungry to need more.

I want them to eat a well-balanced diet while here, not fill up on just one thing.

On extremely rare occasions I might go off this. Today one dck ate everything except a little cantaloupe, but wanted more peas so I said ok.
Usually seconds is fruit or veggies. I do give them a cut off after seconds though.
spud912 01:03 PM 11-13-2012
I'm a bit different I suppose . Seconds depend on the child and what they want more of. If they want more of something they normally don't eat, then I give it to them regardless of how much they ate of the other items. For example, dcb is extremely hesitant to eat anything green. Therefore, when he asks for seconds of anything green (which is always fresh or steamed fresh veggies), then I always give it to him. On the other hand, my older dd barely eats any meat or protein, so if she wants seconds on meat, I am more than happy to oblige.

If they want seconds of their normal favorites, then I have them eat what I feel is an appropriate amount of the other food. For example, dcg hates mashed potatoes (I know, it's strange), so knowing that she literally gags when she eats it, I will have her eat one normal-sized bite before I give her seconds.

I love good eaters! I know at some point they may eat me into the poor house, but I would take 6 healthy eaters who eat thirds everyday instead of 6 kids who pick at the first helping.
spud912 01:06 PM 11-13-2012
I also wanted to add that the best way to eliminate picky eaters (in my opinion) is to offer a huge variety of food. They learn quickly at my house that if they only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that they may starve because it only happens once a month. I serve something different every day of the month, often times without repeating the same item for 2 or 3 months (or more).
Reply Up