Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Provide Baby Food or Not...
Abigail 03:34 AM 11-30-2011
I talked about this a little bit before in another post, but wanted everyone's opinion. Background: I'm only taking one infant who requires a bottle at a time unless I get a part timer also so I'm not providing care for more than one young infant at a time really.

Question: My food program doesn't require me to offer more than formula until they turn 8 months old. Most babies are 4-6 months old on cereal and soon after beginning baby food for at least 1 meal, then 2 meals a day along with formula. Well, I'm not sure if I should require parents to provide any cereal or jarred food until they turn 8 months then I will or if I should just provide it all along?

I can think of a lot of pros and cons, but I'm afraid my infant care rate is high enough to provide these. Should I say if parents want to begin more than just formula that they need to provide what they would like served until they're 8 months old or is that a hassle? Should I say until they're 6 months old just to save a bit on the expenses of baby food? I already plan on buying "puffs" as a snack with parents permission so I guess it would make sense for me to buy all the food. Just wondering what everyone else does and if it's what they prefer or if they'd like to have parents provide things when they can.

This family is really kind and is extremely responsible so I wouldn't have issues with them "forgetting" things.
Reply
Unregistered 05:21 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I talked about this a little bit before in another post, but wanted everyone's opinion. Background: I'm only taking one infant who requires a bottle at a time unless I get a part timer also so I'm not providing care for more than one young infant at a time really.

Question: My food program doesn't require me to offer more than formula until they turn 8 months old. Most babies are 4-6 months old on cereal and soon after beginning baby food for at least 1 meal, then 2 meals a day along with formula. Well, I'm not sure if I should require parents to provide any cereal or jarred food until they turn 8 months then I will or if I should just provide it all along?

I can think of a lot of pros and cons, but I'm afraid my infant care rate is high enough to provide these. Should I say if parents want to begin more than just formula that they need to provide what they would like served until they're 8 months old or is that a hassle? Should I say until they're 6 months old just to save a bit on the expenses of baby food? I already plan on buying "puffs" as a snack with parents permission so I guess it would make sense for me to buy all the food. Just wondering what everyone else does and if it's what they prefer or if they'd like to have parents provide things when they can.

This family is really kind and is extremely responsible so I wouldn't have issues with them "forgetting" things.
WIC recommends starting jarred baby food and cereal at 6 months old thats the time I use also. Its up to you jarred baby food and cereal are not very expensive at all and you wont have to worry about parents forgetting it but then like you said its an extra expense to you.
Reply
SilverSabre25 06:38 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
WIC recommends starting jarred baby food and cereal at 6 months old thats the time I use also. Its up to you jarred baby food and cereal are not very expensive at all and you wont have to worry about parents forgetting it but then like you said its an extra expense to you.
This does not mean that the daycare needs to start it then, mind you. I like nan's version where the parents are given a couple of months of introing the food at home before solids are done at daycare.

And even the AAP guidelines/WIC guidelines are not "start 6 solids at 6 months OR ELSE!" they are "not before 6 months" or "6 months at the earliest which means that it's perfectly acceptable to wait a few months to intro the solids. Some babies just are NOT ready for solids at 6 months. There are other indicators to look for besides the arbitrary "age"--the strongest solids-ready indicator is the loss of the tongue thrust reflex. That's when the baby's tongue shoves forward over their gums every time something goes in their mouth/their mouth opens.
Reply
MyAngels 08:08 AM 11-30-2011
I provide baby food and cereal no matter what age they start it. It's not expensive, and it just seems like it's less hassle that way.
Reply
Unregistered 08:20 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
This does not mean that the daycare needs to start it then, mind you. I like nan's version where the parents are given a couple of months of introing the food at home before solids are done at daycare.

And even the AAP guidelines/WIC guidelines are not "start 6 solids at 6 months OR ELSE!" they are "not before 6 months" or "6 months at the earliest which means that it's perfectly acceptable to wait a few months to intro the solids. Some babies just are NOT ready for solids at 6 months. There are other indicators to look for besides the arbitrary "age"--the strongest solids-ready indicator is the loss of the tongue thrust reflex. That's when the baby's tongue shoves forward over their gums every time something goes in their mouth/their mouth opens.
I think I know all this I have 3 children of my own and have been doing daycare for 10 years. I have started some babies as early as 4 months and some at 6 months never past 6 months never had a parent wanna wait later then that. I was just saying what WIC recommends not that she has too. I dont need a lecture thank you.
Reply
Lianne 08:38 AM 11-30-2011
I provide babyfood and cereal. It's easier and I like knowing I have it on hand and the kid is getting variety. I charge an extra $5-$10/kid/week for the food depending on how much of it the kid is eating. Parents seem to prefer it this way.
Reply
mismatchedsocks 08:53 AM 11-30-2011
I provide everything here, but my food program has it that baby food "can" be started as young as 3 months. I dont mind it as I make most of the fruits/veggies homemade with what the older kids are eating, so its even less cost. The rice cereal is not too expensive and I think if you ask parents to bring one box that will cover it!
Reply
SilverSabre25 09:33 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think I know all this I have 3 children of my own and have been doing daycare for 10 years. I have started some babies as early as 4 months and some at 6 months never past 6 months never had a parent wanna wait later then that. I was just saying what WIC recommends not that she has too. I dont need a lecture thank you.
You're welcome!

It wasn't intended as a lecture but rather as information, and not necessarily directed at you but at whoever needs to know. My point was that there is not need to start babies on solids at daycare exactly at six months. Babies don't need to eat three square solid meals a day right out of the gate.
Reply
SilverSabre25 09:34 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
I provide everything here, but my food program has it that baby food "can" be started as young as 3 months. I dont mind it as I make most of the fruits/veggies homemade with what the older kids are eating, so its even less cost. The rice cereal is not too expensive and I think if you ask parents to bring one box that will cover it!
That's just awful. Three months?! The AAP and the WHO don't support that recommendation!!!! That's terrible. I would be having some stern words with someone "higher up" in your food program...along with mailing them some well-put literature on the subject from good sources.
Reply
countrymom 11:52 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I provide baby food and cereal no matter what age they start it. It's not expensive, and it just seems like it's less hassle that way.
I do the same, and this way I also know that its good stuff the baby likes not stuff that I should attempt with the baby.
Reply
mismatchedsocks 12:12 PM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That's just awful. Three months?! The AAP and the WHO don't support that recommendation!!!! That's terrible. I would be having some stern words with someone "higher up" in your food program...along with mailing them some well-put literature on the subject from good sources.
I agree. I never start at 3 months. But here it is broken down into age groups. 0-3 months 3-6 months 6-8 months and 8-12 months.
The only time we "HAVE" to feed the baby food is in the 8-12 month catagory. But there is room in the 3-6 month catagory for cereal and fruit/veggie then in 6-8 months it adds a grain spot, then meat in the 8-12 month??
Reply
queenbee 01:06 PM 11-30-2011
I've had infants who didn't start solid feeding until 10/11 months. They are, by far, the least picky of my groups when they get older. They are very healthy and would prefer vegetables over any other food (no joke). They're just wonderful eaters.

At 8 months I provide baby food. It's so much easier, and I provide Organic which none of my parents buy because of the cost. Most of my parents start later than "normal", with 7/8/9 months being the average age they start feeding at home.
Reply
Tags:baby food
Reply Up