Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contract help- Holding fees and Tuition payments
mamac 09:47 PM 04-06-2013
I was responding to an inquiry for child care and I caught a bit of a discrepancy in my handbook. How do I write in my handbook that I charge a holding fee AND the first week of tuition upon receipt of a signed contract? If I hold the spot for 4 weeks, I don't expect the first week of tuition because they may change their mind and I'm not looking for "extra" money for doing nothing. Should I have a separate contract just for the holding period? Or is there a better way to word my handbook?

Enrollment
Payment for the first week of care will be due upon receipt of a signed contract.

Holding Fee
I agree to hold an opening for a period of up to 4 weeks prior to your expected enrollment date. This fee cannot be applied to the cost of tuition after enrollment and it is non-refundable. The fee is $80.00 per week. Payment is due upon receipt of a signed contract.

Blackcat31 07:02 AM 04-07-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I was responding to an inquiry for child care and I caught a bit of a discrepancy in my handbook. How do I write in my handbook that I charge a holding fee AND the first week of tuition upon receipt of a signed contract? If I hold the spot for 4 weeks, I don't expect the first week of tuition because they may change their mind and I'm not looking for "extra" money for doing nothing. Should I have a separate contract just for the holding period? Or is there a better way to word my handbook?

Enrollment
Payment for the first week of care will be due upon receipt of a signed contract.

Holding Fee
I agree to hold an opening for a period of up to 4 weeks prior to your expected enrollment date. This fee cannot be applied to the cost of tuition after enrollment and it is non-refundable. The fee is $80.00 per week. Payment is due upon receipt of a signed contract.
Why not just request the first week of tuition 1 week prior to beginning care?

So instead of saying upon a receipt of a signed contract and say 1 week prior to beginning care

That way the holding fee is obviously separate from tuition.

HTH
mamac 07:55 AM 04-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why not just request the first week of tuition 1 week prior to beginning care?

So instead of saying upon a receipt of a signed contract and say 1 week prior to beginning care

That way the holding fee is obviously separate from tuition.

HTH
Thanks blackcat! The only issue I have is I want to keep the tuition payment due at the contract signing because I wouldn't want to discourage people from starting immediately. (I did with my kids.) Does this sound ok if I add the bolded line to my holding fee policy? I want to make everything as clear as possible.

Holding Fee Change to Holding Period?
I agree to hold an opening for a period of up to 4 weeks prior to your expected enrollment date. This fee cannot be applied to the cost of tuition after enrollment and it is non-refundable. The fee is $80.00 per week. Payment is due upon receipt of a signed contract. The first week’s tuition payment is to be made one week prior to beginning care.
Blackcat31 02:56 PM 04-07-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Thanks blackcat! The only issue I have is I want to keep the tuition payment due at the contract signing because I wouldn't want to discourage people from starting immediately. (I did with my kids.) Does this sound ok if I add the bolded line to my holding fee policy? I want to make everything as clear as possible.

Holding Fee Change to Holding Period?
I agree to hold an opening for a period of up to 4 weeks prior to your expected enrollment date. This fee cannot be applied to the cost of tuition after enrollment and it is non-refundable. The fee is $80.00 per week. Payment is due upon receipt of a signed contract. The first week’s tuition payment is to be made one week prior to beginning care.
I think how you changed it sounds great! It also makes more sense. (Atleast it does to me )
mamac 03:08 PM 04-07-2013
Cool. Thanks so much for your input! Much appreciated!
Reply Up