Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Subsidy and Payments
Unregistered 03:15 PM 02-26-2018
I'm just trying to figure this out. I have a lady wanting care 5 days a week but it's only 5 hours a day but I charge $28 a day weather they are here 5 hours or 10 and I'm not sure I can find another kid to fill the remaining time and I consider 5 days a week full-time.

Unfortunately the state pays hourly and will only pay for the hours her child is being cared for. Am I still allowed to charge for the remaining even if the child was not here? I do for the other kids but not sure since this would be my first state pay parent.
Country Kids 03:51 PM 02-26-2018
No, for state children you can only charge for the amount of time they are there.

Private pay, you can charge your daily rate but if a state child is only there 5 hours, that is all you can charge. You have to fill out the paperwork showing the hours they were there for the month also.
Unregistered 04:03 PM 02-26-2018
Yuck, not sure it is worth taking up the spot then. I will let her know she should look into a center. Don't want to waste her time. Thanks
hwichlaz 05:09 PM 02-26-2018
No one can answer this without knowing what state you're in and which agency you are working with.

It's different in every state.

I California I MUST charge everyone the same way and same amount. Otherwise I'm discriminating. So this means that anything not covered by subsidy is the parent's responsibility.
Mike 05:23 PM 02-26-2018
I'm thinking that if your price is by the day, how many hours a day shouldn't really matter. Like hwichlaz said, it depends on the state.
TooManyKitties 05:27 PM 02-26-2018
Hwichlaz, I’ve been wondering about that. I haven’t opened yet, am looking to end of this year/early 2019, and am wondering about state pay. I’ll be charging near the top of the market, and so parents would need to cover the difference. Does this ever happen? I’d like my daycare to be inclusive, and accept state pay families, but I also will be charging premium prices, and I’m wondering if those two goals are mutually exclusive. I’m also in a VERY expensive part of the state where I can command higher prices. Do you have any thought?

I haven’t taken the licensing orientation class yet, so maybe all of this is covered there and I just don’t know.

My apologies for the thread hijack everyone. This is something I’ve been wondering about for awhile.
hwichlaz 05:47 PM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by TooManyKitties:
Hwichlaz, I’ve been wondering about that. I haven’t opened yet, am looking to end of this year/early 2019, and am wondering about state pay. I’ll be charging near the top of the market, and so parents would need to cover the difference. Does this ever happen? I’d like my daycare to be inclusive, and accept state pay families, but I also will be charging premium prices, and I’m wondering if those two goals are mutually exclusive. I’m also in a VERY expensive part of the state where I can command higher prices. Do you have any thought?

I haven’t taken the licensing orientation class yet, so maybe all of this is covered there and I just don’t know.

My apologies for the thread hijack everyone. This is something I’ve been wondering about for awhile.
Here, look up what the state pays in your area and see what you think.
http://www3.cde.ca.gov/rcscc/index.aspx
MarinaVanessa 09:24 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm just trying to figure this out. I have a lady wanting care 5 days a week but it's only 5 hours a day but I charge $28 a day weather they are here 5 hours or 10 and I'm not sure I can find another kid to fill the remaining time and I consider 5 days a week full-time.

Unfortunately the state pays hourly and will only pay for the hours her child is being cared for. Am I still allowed to charge for the remaining even if the child was not here? I do for the other kids but not sure since this would be my first state pay parent.
You should call your subsidy program and ask them. My subsidy program only covers up to certain hours per week and sometimes the parents use more than they are allotted. I also charge weekly like you do and they don't reimburse weekly just daily/hourly etc. We're allowed to charge the client for the difference though, not a lot of other agencies do from what I hear. Our agency also allows us to charge late payment fees, overtime fees etc because they don't cover those.
m.kids1301 07:41 AM 02-28-2018
In Indiana, where I am, 5 hours or more per day is considered full time. So if I have a child here for 5 hours per day or 8 hours per day I get the full rate due the parent (if there is no co-pay). Less than 5 hours and they pay the hourly rate. That is so strange it's only paid by the hour where you are!
Meeko 05:25 PM 03-01-2018
In Utah, we get paid in advance. We can see online as soon as a parent is approved. The state pay their part and the parent must make up any difference. If they don't pay their part...the state stops funding at all until they do. I love that we have a pro provider state. I've lived in other states that weren't so good.
Honey524 04:07 PM 03-09-2018
Wow $28 a day?! I wish I lived in your state. Where i live in MD daycare is $55-$100 daily. Like $250-$450 a week.
Tags:subsidies, subsidy - california
Reply Up