Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provider Name
lizzlee 12:03 PM 05-28-2015
What does everyone like to be called by daycare kids and parents? When I worked in preschool everyone called me Ms. Elizabeth, but that's a little bit of a mouthful for the littles. A few friends kids call me Aunt Liz, but is that too familiar for daycare kids? What do you guys think?
laundrymom 12:06 PM 05-28-2015
I am Miss Laundry
Conoad 12:14 PM 05-28-2015
I have the kids call me by my first name.
spinnymarie 12:16 PM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by Conoad:
I have the kids call me by my first name.
Yep
LysesKids 12:23 PM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by lizzlee:
What does everyone like to be called by daycare kids and parents? When I worked in preschool everyone called me Ms. Elizabeth, but that's a little bit of a mouthful for the littles. A few friends kids call me Aunt Liz, but is that too familiar for daycare kids? What do you guys think?
I'm called Nana Lyse or Lycée (a nickname given me by my Asian families years ago); My real name is also Elizabeth lol
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 05-28-2015
My kiddos call me Miss "first name"

It denotes who's in charge in my opinion.

I wouldn't however get worked up if kids didn't say Miss prior to my first name but most parents do and I also refer to myself as Miss "first name" so, the kids usually pick that up and go with it.

It really doesn't matter to me one way or another but that's how it is right now at this point in time.
AmyKidsCo 01:28 PM 05-28-2015
I'm Miss Amy.

I fought it for the longest time because "Miss First-Name" is grammatically incorrect, but I've given up. I felt that "Mrs. Last-Name" was too formal for my relationship with the children, but since teachers and other professionals are called "Title Last-Name" I felt that just plain "Amy" wasn't formal enough.

So I caved and go with Miss or Ms Amy. It kills my inner Grammar Nazi, but I stuff her back in the closet whenever she pops her head out.
spedmommy4 04:02 PM 05-28-2015
I am teacher J. One parent found out I have a teaching credential and her little one started calling me teacher "J" and it stuck. :-)
AmyKidsCo 06:50 PM 05-28-2015
I like "Teacher" as a title. It sounds cooler in "Teacher Tom" (for anyone who knows his blog) but "Teacher Amy" isn't too bad. Now, how do I get the kids to change over - subtly?
kendallina 07:33 PM 05-28-2015
I'm Miss (first name). But I know a provider that goes by Auntie (first name) and it totally works for her and I think denotes how much like family she is with the kids. I'm much more teacher-y, so Miss works for me.
284878 03:45 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'm Miss Amy.

I fought it for the longest time because "Miss First-Name" is grammatically incorrect, but I've given up. I felt that "Mrs. Last-Name" was too formal for my relationship with the children, but since teachers and other professionals are called "Title Last-Name" I felt that just plain "Amy" wasn't formal enough.

So I caved and go with Miss or Ms Amy. It kills my inner Grammar Nazi, but I stuff her back in the closet whenever she pops her head out.
drives me nuts too. Never growing up was I allowed to call any adult by their first name, always last name. So to me it is a form of respect to say "ms or mr".
So I am Ms first and my dh when he is home is Mr last name. (we have an easy last name)
bklsmum 04:30 AM 05-29-2015
I am Miss Angela. The parents started that and it has stuck. I don't correct kids when they don't use the Miss though.
Laurel 04:53 AM 05-29-2015
At first it was just my first name as I had previously worked in a Montessori school and I heard one teacher say she went by her first name and told one of the children because that is the name my mom gave me. We all went by our first names. Then once I had my first grandchild in my daycare she naturally called me grandma so then they all started and from then on it was just grandma. I liked it.

Laurel
MsLisa 06:54 AM 05-29-2015
I'm Ms. Lisa to the kiddos, parents and even my co-workers.
When I first started in the childcare field I always wanted to hear it and now I hear it like 1000000000000 times a day. lol.
Baby Beluga 09:03 AM 05-29-2015
Generally it is Miss "first name" but the group I have now calls me mom for some reason. What has happened is my own child now calls me Miss "first name" and the DCKs call me mom...
Annalee 09:07 AM 05-29-2015
I am called by ms. my first name as well!
childcaremom 09:18 AM 05-29-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Generally it is Miss "first name" but the group I have now calls me mom for some reason. What has happened is my own child now calls me Miss "first name" and the DCKs call me mom...
lol

My group now calls me by my first name.

My previous group was younger and started off calling me mom b/c they heard my kids call me mom. I would correct them but it is usually at 2 years when they can pronounce it.

I also was never allowed to call adults by their first name and it was either Aunt or Uncle, or Mr and Mrs. I prefer the daycare kids call me by my first name but my kids friends all call me Mrs last name.
AuntTami 05:24 PM 05-29-2015
I'm Miss Tami to the older kiddos and the littles call me "Teetee" or "T"
Josiegirl 03:01 AM 05-30-2015
As long as what they call me is respectful, I'm not going to worry about it a whole lot, even though I was brought up to call anyone older than myself Miss or Mrs. It does bother me when teachers in the school system tell kids to call them by their first names. And I know that's kind of a weird hypocritical mindset isn't it? But when dcks tried calling me Mrs. so-n-so it sounded so formal to me.
I know when the speech people come in for my little dcg, I always call them Ms Liz or Ms Pam. Same with the visiting library lady.
Side note, some of the dcps call me Ms Josie so their dds follow suit.
By the way, I like Aunt Liz or Auntie Liz. Is there a way you can pass it by the dcps and see if it's okay with them?
Unregistered 11:18 AM 05-30-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'm Miss Amy.

Where did you learn that? I'm genuinely curious, because I've never heard it and I was an English major.
lizzlee 02:53 PM 06-01-2015
Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with Aunt Liz if parents are okay with it. My newspaper ad starts this week, please wish me luck!!
AmyKidsCo 12:38 PM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Where did you learn that? I'm genuinely curious, because I've never heard it and I was an English major.
That's the way I was raised. You called adults by their title and last name, even when they said "call me First-Name."

I asked about it on FB and apparently it's more of a regional thing than a rule of English.
Reply Up