Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Problem With New Clients - Need to Terminate
Sunshine 02:47 PM 10-26-2010
I have recently taken two siblings into my daycare. My contract states “Either party can cancel this agreement with two weeks notice”. Problem is after just 1.5 day, I don’t want to wait the two weeks. I do not want these two children around my other daycare kids any longer than absolutely necessary.

They are cursing and using mean words. They are being physically abusive to the other children. They will not follow direction, in fact they will get very mean, argue, yell no, and (try) to do what they want. They continue to do things when told not to. They will not come when called. They throw things even after being told not to. They will not share toys, will take and hold toys just because they know someone else wants them and will take toys from the other children. They have tried to leave the house a few times. When I correct them for misbehaviors and try to redirect them, they yell and argue with me. Their behavior is already having a negative impact on the other kids in my care...

To top it all off, I agreed to drop one of the children off at school each day. I go to take the kid to school this morning and realize that I will have to get all the kids out of the car to walk this child into the school and wait (10 minuets past school start time today) for the teacher. This is a deal breaker in itself. I can not load all my daycare kids into the car, drive to the school, unload them, go inside and wait however long in a small busy hall, then load all the kids up to come back home. Then repeat the process a couple hours later at pick up time. I feel the parents left this important information out on purpose, knowing I would not agree to it.

Yesterday a grandparent came to pick the children up, I went to take a forgotten item out to the car and saw that there were no car seats for the children. (I insisted my car seats be used)

The “lunch” provided by the parent today was popcorn and soda.

The almost 3 year old has not even started potty training and is still using a pacifier. (Maybe a mistake on my part but, I would never have even thought to ask if a 3 year old was potty trained. )

Today, as I type this the children just got picked up…a half hour late.

I interviewed with and was hired by the grandmother and would never have expected this behavior after meeting with her. I have been a daycare provider for 20 years and in that time issues such as these have never been a problem before.

Any suggestions on how I can terminate this contract early without legal ramifications? Of course I am willing to refund the unused portion of their fee.

Any other suggestions you might have on how to handle this are greatly appreciated. I am using all the usual techniques with the children redirection, explaining the rules, why behaviors are not allowed, etc. Time out is the next step...in my 20 years I have had put kids in time out maybe 4 times for physical things like hitting, etc. So this would be a big step for me to have to do this...

After what I have seen the past couple days, I dont think talking to the parents would make a change.
Tags:contract, notice, terminate
Up