Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Consider Full-Time or Part-Time?
Starburst 03:00 PM 04-27-2014
I'm revamping some things in my policy handbook (still not open yet but hopefully by the end of this year) and am still wondering what to consider full time or part time?

When I first wrote my handbook, I put 2 days with less that 5 hours a day (or under 15 hours per week total) would be considered part time rate and a minimum of 3 days with at least of 5 hours (over 15 and up to 50 hours) per day would be full time. But now I'm not sure because 15 hours doesn't sound like much. Advice?
Maria2013 03:32 PM 04-27-2014
I consider 3 days to be part time, and 4 to 5 days to be full time
... I don't enroll for less than 3 days.

I used to do drop-in care (enrolled anyone for emergency care etc.) but then I realized that kids that came every once in a while, created so much more work that it wasn't worth it...now I have my 6 regulars, and when they take a day off, I enjoy the easier days
Unregistered 03:49 PM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:

I used to do drop-in care (enrolled anyone for emergency care etc.) but then I realized that kids that came every once in a while, created so much more work that it wasn't worth it...now I have my 6 regulars, and when they take a day off, I enjoy the easier days
I have always wondered how people handle paperwork for dropin care. There is so much required.
Do you have them do it all? We have to have separate policy pages for all kinds of stuff.
Starburst 04:00 PM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:

Thanks, but I'm not concerned so much about the days thing as much as the hours part. I have heard other providers on here say that they consider 3 days full time because if the child is there all day for 3 days x 10 hrs/day= 30 hours (and if they need 12 hours*3 days = 36) and I have heard of others that require a 3 day minimum contract hours. Though, I would prioritize 4 and 5 days of care over 3 days if needed. I'm considering 3 days full time because I'm not sure how easy it will be to fill 4 or 5 days in the area I plan on opening (moving to a new state).
SignMeUp 04:52 PM 04-27-2014
I do all part-time care. I have daily or half day rates. Two day minimum, or two half-days, because for me, one-day kids have entirely different needs.
My half day rate is only slightly less than my full day rate, because most parents then choose full days, and that is what I want to encourage. I don't care for being the "after-preschool" provider, so my rates reflect that.
Parents contract for set days, but can add an occasional day if I have availability.
l charge the same daily rate for add-ons, because I already charge enough because my daily is based on part-time schedules.

I like hearing how many ways people have found to set rates. Here there is such an emphasis on NOT TALKING about rates, that I have no solid idea what others do. I only know that people keep coming
therov 04:54 PM 04-27-2014
Three days is part-time in our area, and I consider 4 and 5 days to be full-time. On a daily basis, I consider full-time to be anything that includes lunchtime, which concludes at the 5-hour mark of my 9.5 hr day.
TwinKristi 05:25 PM 04-27-2014
For hours I consider less than 4hrs a day to be PT and billed at a slightly ($5) lesser rate. As far as days, I consider >3 days to be FT. I have had lots of 4 day DCKs and it's just a very common arrangement now. I have one guy that comes 2 days a week. If he wasn't a good fit I could see it being a problem, but I don't mind it really. He is almost 2 and acclimated very quickly.

I also do drop-in care and I charge a $10 hourly rate or $60/day for 6+ hrs. I do have them fill out all the paperwork and I keep it in a drop-in folder with my other FT kids.
Maria2013 06:01 PM 04-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have always wondered how people handle paperwork for dropin care. There is so much required.
Do you have them do it all? We have to have separate policy pages for all kinds of stuff.
I don't do that anymore, but when I did, I had parents fill out all the state required forms, even if they just needed me for that one day
Leigh 08:04 PM 04-27-2014
Part timers at my house are under 20 hours per week. Anything over 20 is full time. Part timers get a 35% discount off my full-time rate.
Lianne 04:40 AM 04-28-2014
For me, 4-5 days OR a varying schedule a week is full time. 2-3 set days is part time. I don't do half days

Around here lots of people work retail or unusual shifts so people need care just a few days a week but each week the days vary. Because the days vary each week, I cannot fit another child's schedule in on the off days. That's why a varying schedule = full time spot.
midaycare 06:06 AM 04-28-2014
I'm careful with my wording in my policy because I live a half mile from 2 schools, and also a half mile from a hospital. Doctors or nurses can easily work 3 twelve hour shifts per week, and I would consider that full time, but it's only 3 days a week.

I'm just opening in a few weeks, but I already have my summer schedule full, and most of my fall. I have a nice mix of full and part-timers. I only take part-timers if I can find someone else to pick up the other hours (for example, if someone just wants Thursdays & Fridays, then I need someone else who wants Mon, Tues & Wed).

I don't take less than a full day. It's in my handbook, in case I ever change my mind, but I really want full day kids only.
Tags:contract, full time vs part time, hours per day
Reply Up