Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I know this may sound crazy....but I HATE days with only 1 kid!!
lilcupcakes09 04:38 AM 03-31-2015
Between sickness and Spring Break, only 1 out of 7 kids came today! And that 1 is coughing and snotting everywhere. My son is also gone to spend the day with grandparents, leaving my baby and I, and 1 dcb here. I hate days like this, there is so much I could go out and get done while I have the "extra" time, but I'm stuck here. And this one doesn't get picked up until closing time And he isn't the imaginative type, he plays video games and such all the time at home, so he just sits here staring unless someone is here to guide him into playing. It's going to be a long 10 hours!
Blackcat31 05:12 AM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
Between sickness and Spring Break, only 1 out of 7 kids came today! And that 1 is coughing and snotting everywhere. My son is also gone to spend the day with grandparents, leaving my baby and I, and 1 dcb here. I hate days like this, there is so much I could go out and get done while I have the "extra" time, but I'm stuck here. And this one doesn't get picked up until closing time And he isn't the imaginative type, he plays video games and such all the time at home, so he just sits here staring unless someone is here to guide him into playing. It's going to be a long 10 hours!
Totally understand what you mean. The days where I have only a few kids are the worst. The kids seem to rely more on you for entertaining and it's doubly bad when its a kid like the one you described.

I have 2 dcb's that are similar. Everything is a competition and revolves around video games. It's the only topic of conversation one of mine wants to have.

If I were stuck with just the two of mine (or worse only one of them) I'd be miserable too so I totally feel for you!!!

Maybe if he seems snotty enough, he can be sent home for rest/relaxation so he can rest and get rid of his nasty cold. If he is the only kid, I'd SERIOUSLY consider it. Rest does kids wonders!
Stephnrich 05:14 AM 03-31-2015
I feel you. It's been a long time since I've had that happen. Last winter we had icy weather, so schools and most businesses closed (southeast Texas, we don't do ice!). Out of 11 kids, I showed.....her mom is a teacher, so obviously didn't go to work. She was here all the way until closing. Long day!
lilcupcakes09 05:19 AM 03-31-2015
He is that kid....the 1 who never misses a day until I take off, the one who is always here on time and never gets picked up early! And he never seems to get sick enough to miss a day! I feel for him, he spends his life in daycare or on the road back and forth
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:24 AM 03-31-2015
I agree with Blackcat
I also agree one is hard (except my one that I end up with now is a dream and I can run a few errands etc)

Some ideas- make him a sensory bin (oats or rice etc) to pour and scoop, Younger child- spaghetti and a colander to poke it into.
Let him fold washclothes for you I keep "odd toy" boxes to hand to kids to see what they can do with them. Play the find me game- can you find me something Blue,older child can you find me something that begins with B.
Outside Go for a nature walk and then let him make a collage with items found.

a LONG nap
bklsmum 06:34 AM 03-31-2015
For me it depends on the 1 kid...lol...I don't mind it if its one of my good ones.
daycarediva 09:55 AM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Totally understand what you mean. The days where I have only a few kids are the worst. The kids seem to rely more on you for entertaining and it's doubly bad when its a kid like the one you described.

I have 2 dcb's that are similar. Everything is a competition and revolves around video games. It's the only topic of conversation one of mine wants to have.

If I were stuck with just the two of mine (or worse only one of them) I'd be miserable too so I totally feel for you!!!

Maybe if he seems snotty enough, he can be sent home for rest/relaxation so he can rest and get rid of his nasty cold. If he is the only kid, I'd SERIOUSLY consider it. Rest does kids wonders!
Yup- if he is sick, send him home.

I have it in my policies that I will not open if I have 3 or under kids present. NOT worth my time.
Heidi 01:11 PM 03-31-2015
I have only one today, so with parent okay, we went to Walmart, for lunch, and to take my MIL (known as GMA Sharon by the kids) an Easter basket and some flowers. We made it a "field trip" (she's just 2, so noticing the yellow tulips and the orange tulips and hey, smell these purple flowers is learning, as is singing in the car).

Next week, 2 more start, so the chances of having only 1 or 2 on a day drops significantly. I'm trying to enjoy it.
Reply Up