Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>State Pay and Paid Holidays?
DaisyMamma 03:28 PM 08-30-2012
I have a foster family of two kids and they pay through the state.
I have a standard list of paid holidays in my policies that the dcm is questioning because the state will likely not pay them. How do you deal with this?
Blackcat31 03:33 PM 08-30-2012
It is funny how people think that just because their source of funding comes from a specific place that allows or doesn't allow certain things that it also applies to you too.

If you charge ALL families for specific holidays, then she needs to pay them as well, regardless of where the money is coming from.

It would be discrimination to your other families if you didn't charge ber but are charging them. Even if she has to pay for them out of her own pocket, that is on her...not something she sholud expect you to make an exception for.
familyschoolcare 03:45 PM 08-30-2012
Are you sure the state will not pay them.
Countrygal 04:01 PM 08-30-2012
I don't know about other states, but ours only pays when the children are here. I think other states might be different. Our state is ACTUAL hours of care.

As to the family paying, I agree, once again, with BC. If other people pay, they need to.

Honestly, my gs was on Daycare Assitance. When I received guardianship of him, the social worker told me his daycare was completely covered. Lo and behold, that info wasn't quite correct. It was MOSTLY covered, but not completely!!!

At the time it wasn't too big of an issue, but later it became one. The extra 75 cents an hour became a real issue with a single GP raising an unexpected gs on a very limited income!!!

I'm telling you this story because I don't think the problem, at least for me, was so much the 75 cents an hour as it was all of the "unexpected costs" that I was never told about. I know you probably have a handbook and all, but honestly, I've been told that DC providers couldn't charge more than the state paid and other "fallacies" that just weren't on the money (literally). The paid vacas, days off, extra hours, etc, that the state doesn't cover AND DOESN'T TELL A PARENT OR PROVIDER ABOUT tend to add up, and when you are that tight and don't have it in the budget, it can be a real issue.

I'm sure that it's not true for everyone, but for me, when I was in that situation, it was all about misinformation and lack of information. If the sw had explained everything to me beforehand, things would have gone much smoother!

I thank you for this reminder, tho, because I need to talk to a family who is applying at present for the childcare in our state. I want to make sure they have all the information BEFORE the childcare goes through and then SURPRISE, like happened to me..........
DaisyMamma 04:05 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It is funny how people think that just because their source of funding comes from a specific place that allows or doesn't allow certain things that it also applies to you too.

If you charge ALL families for specific holidays, then she needs to pay them as well, regardless of where the money is coming from.

It would be discrimination to your other families if you didn't charge ber but are charging them. Even if she has to pay for them out of her own pocket, that is on her...not something she sholud expect you to make an exception for.
I told her she had to pay regardless of attendance. I agree. I just wanted to double check what everyone thinks.

Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Are you sure the state will not pay them.
I am not sure, I told her to look into it.
familyschoolcare 04:09 PM 08-30-2012
yeS comunication is key.

When I inverview a susidy parent I tell tem what the subisidy does not pay as I go over the policy.

I go over my handbook during interviews when we come to the part about payment and fees I say something like their is a$1 per minute per child late fee that you will be responsible tfor paying the subsidy does not pay that. Had one parent argue but I can not afford anything that is why I have the subsidy I told her then just be on time and then you will not have to pay it funny she found somewhere else to take her child.
thatdivalady 06:18 PM 08-30-2012
From what I was told at our PA providers orientation, what the state does not cover is between the parent and the provider. So I take the extra step of educating the parents receiving state assistance so that they know ahead of time that they are responsible for anything that the state does not cover.
DaisyMamma 06:23 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by thatdivalady:
From what I was told at our PA providers orientation, what the state does not cover is between the parent and the provider. So I take the extra step of educating the parents receiving state assistance so that they know ahead of time that they are responsible for anything that the state does not cover.
oh, she is aware all right, thats why she is trying to negotiate! LOL
Youre right though. I can see where some parents would assume they are getting a free ride and wont have a co pay or any fees at all.
Tags:paid holidays
Reply Up