Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opening on President's Day.....
lilcupcakes09 04:31 AM 02-12-2014
So it begins.....it's the Weds before President's Day and the one parent I knew would ask, did yesterday at pick up!! We have had some crazy weather and school will be opening on Monday to make up a snow day. So she ask's me........."Since school is open will you be opening too". Um NOOOO!!! I already have my holiday planned and your child was here every single snow day we had, and was my only dck here on quite a few of those days, why should I have to make it up??? The mindset of some people totally erks my nerves!
Shell 06:29 AM 02-12-2014
Ugh! Last year, I was lounging around in my pajamas on President's Day when the doorbell rang. My ds happened to be home, as well, and his company is hardly ever closed! Anyway, dcm shows up with dcg, and I looked at her shocked, and said, "It's a federal holiday- why are you here?" She rudely said back, "My work and dcd's work is open!", as she shoved dcg at me
I could understand if she works retail, but she doesn't, and every single one of my neighbors had two cars in the driveway, meaning both moms and dads were home that day, and they all work in various types of businesses.
So, because I need the income and can't afford to term, I am open again on Monday for ONE family, and it really irks me
I know, I know, I need a stronger backbone with this family-one of these days!
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 02-12-2014
I will be open for it this year.

I (unexpectedly) will need to take a mid-week () training class soon that cannot be done online. It is an unusual circumstance, here, with very little notice. (the training is for my part-time job, not childcare related)

I put it to a vote. The parents unanimously chose to swap Presidents Day for it.

Works for me, no pay loss and the clients are happy.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 02-12-2014
I am open. Most my parents work.

It's not a holiday I normally close for.

@MrsMichelle I have in my handbook/policies that if at any time only one family needs care, I will close.

It isn't worth (for me anyways) to be open for one family.

ALL families are required to have a written schedule submitted so they would get plenty of notice and ALL parents are required to have back up care.
Crazy8 07:55 AM 02-12-2014
I don't view President's Day as a major holiday and most businesses are open therefore I never have it off, but if its in your contract parents need to understand that. We also have school this year due to making up a snow day.
craftymissbeth 07:55 AM 02-12-2014
I'm closing because I stayed open on MLK Day.
Crazy8 07:57 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Ugh! Last year, I was lounging around in my pajamas on President's Day when the doorbell rang. My ds happened to be home, as well, and his company is hardly ever closed! Anyway, dcm shows up with dcg, and I looked at her shocked, and said, "It's a federal holiday- why are you here?" She rudely said back, "My work and dcd's work is open!", as she shoved dcg at me
I could understand if she works retail, but she doesn't, and every single one of my neighbors had two cars in the driveway, meaning both moms and dads were home that day, and they all work in various types of businesses.
So, because I need the income and can't afford to term, I am open again on Monday for ONE family, and it really irks me
I know, I know, I need a stronger backbone with this family-one of these days!
If it was listed in your contract as a holiday you are closed for you really should stick to your contract. If your holidays are not clear in your contract you need to fix that!!
Shell 08:06 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
If it was listed in your contract as a holiday you are closed for you really should stick to your contract. If your holidays are not clear in your contract you need to fix that!!
This was kind of a gray area in my contract, and now I have just accepted that I have to stay open for them. @ Blackcat- it would be nice to put that in my contract, good idea!
MotherNature 08:10 AM 02-12-2014
I'm open, but it's not one I close for. I only have one family on Monday, and mom is a federal employee, so they won't be here. I'll be getting a free day off.
spud912 11:08 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I'm closing because I stayed open on MLK Day.

All of my families are off anyway .
MCC 11:41 AM 02-12-2014
I had two parents ask me this as well. We will be closed tomorrow and maybe Friday b/c we're in a State of Emergency, so now I'm struggling again with opening on Monday.
My3cents 12:09 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am open. Most my parents work.

It's not a holiday I normally close for.

@MrsMichelle I have in my handbook/policies that if at any time only one family needs care, I will close.

It isn't worth (for me anyways) to be open for one family.

ALL families are required to have a written schedule submitted so they would get plenty of notice and ALL parents are required to have back up care.
I could have wrote this all the way-

yes you do need a backbone, sorry but I am closed on Presidents Day. Don't open your door. Put a note up now reminding them. ITs ok to have a break! It makes you a better provider. Parents need to have back up!!!
My3cents 12:14 PM 02-12-2014
I am in awe at how many daycares are wishy washy on what days they are open and closed. I make a schedule up in December for the following year stating what days I am closed and I don't negotiate this. My parents have ample notice to make arrangements.

If a parent brought the child to me on a day that I said I was closed and said they had to work. I would hand the child back and say I am sorry I am ClOSED today. Even if I did nothing all day!!!

Sorry but I don't blame the parents on this one as much as I blame the providers! The parents are going to try but the providers need to be able to hold up policies and be clear to parents-

UGH~
Play Care 12:17 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I am in awe at how many daycares are wishy washy on what days they are open and closed. I make a schedule up in December for the following year stating what days I am closed and I don't negotiate this. My parents have ample notice to make arrangements.

If a parent brought the child to me on a day that I said I was closed and said they had to work. I would hand the child back and say I am sorry I am ClOSED today. Even if I did nothing all day!!!

Sorry but I don't blame the parents on this one as much as I blame the providers! The parents are going to try but the providers need to be able to hold up policies and be clear to parents-

UGH~

NeedaVaca 12:23 PM 02-12-2014

UGH~
Exactly! My parents have my holiday schedule for the year. No WAY would I take a DCK on my day off!
registered, can't login 12:26 PM 02-12-2014
I could have wrote this all the way-

yes you do need a backbone, sorry but I am closed on Presidents Day. Don't open your door. Put a note up now reminding them. ITs ok to have a break! It makes you a better provider. Parents need to have back up!!!
Yes, it was definitely a rookie mistake. It was my first year operating a home daycare (had been working in centers for over a decade). I just assumed "all federal holidays" was clear enough, but I guess many people do have to work on this particular holiday. It's a toss up, but they have off on MLK day, so I get that off and have to work President's day.
TaylorTots 12:48 PM 02-12-2014
I am open and charge if they keep their kids home. My policy is you let me know 2 weeks in advance of an absence and I do a half daily rate for you. No one has said anything yet so either I will be having a full house or getting paid well for a lack of attendance.
snbauser 01:07 PM 02-12-2014
I'm open but I follow our school schedule since I have all school employees. It was originally a teacher workday but thanks to our winter, is a regular school day.

BUT if it was in my schedule to be closed and I had plans, I wouldn't open. If I didn't have plans, I might consider it. I am going to be in a similar situation after this week. We are out of school today and will probably be out tomorrow and Friday. I'm waiting to see what the make up day will be. I've heard they will either be Saturday school or spring break. I am trying to decide what I will do if that happens.
TwinKristi 01:48 PM 02-12-2014
I'm open, it's not one of those important holidays to me and most people work anyway. One dad is off and said he may bring DCG for a short day to get a few things done. They live 40 min away and he works up here so I know he won't be here at his usual time. He was also off Monday and this Friday but my other parents work.
originalkat 02:29 PM 02-12-2014
From my handbook:
Holidays and Breaks

I strive to provide families with an exceptional quality, all-day, year round program. I try to recognize the needs of working parents and their families. However, holidays and breaks are necessary for the well-being of all. Please see the calendar for specific dates. If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will close on either the Friday before or the Monday after.

We will be closed on the following paid holidays.

New Year Day
Martin Luther King Jr.
President’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
sharlan 02:56 PM 02-12-2014
I'm not closed that day. It's not a major holiday IMHO and 2 of my families work that day.
craftymissbeth 02:57 PM 02-12-2014
It's not an 'important' holiday to me, either, but it's the only extra day off I'll have for the whole month. I'm feeling burnt out and could definitely use a three day weekend.
Play Care 03:35 PM 02-12-2014
I understand a lot of these types of holidays regional - in my area schools, banks, government offices and libraries are closed. I used to be open because I figured most parents were working only to find that all my families had at least one parent off.

I try to be reliable so parents can WORK. For me, taking a day off on a day when parents are either off, or have access to alternate care arrangements (teen sitters, relatives who are off, etc) makes more sense than taking a random day another time (not that I'm opposed to that either)

In this case the provider took a day off. It happens to be a minor federal holiday. But take away the fact it's a holiday and ask yourself if you had a day off scheduled and a parent asked a few days prior if you were still going to be off because of other unplanned time off, how would you feel? The reality is, it doesn't matter what the day is. The provider gave ample notice she would be closed. If she opens this day (because the parent guilts her into it or others question the validity of the holiday, etc) then why bother taking time off for any reason? Because parents are always going to be working.
KidGrind 05:11 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
I had two parents ask me this as well. We will be closed tomorrow and maybe Friday b/c we're in a State of Emergency, so now I'm struggling again with opening on Monday.
I am not opening Monday. I have no control over the weather. You see the snow yet? I am going to clean tomorrow for about 2 hours then it’s couch, Girl Scout Cookies and me. If you happen to go out, BE SAFE.
MCC 06:07 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I am not opening Monday. I have no control over the weather. You see the snow yet? I am going to clean tomorrow for about 2 hours then it’s couch, Girl Scout Cookies and me. If you happen to go out, BE SAFE.
It's snowing now! I am not going to open either, though I really have struggled with it, but it really comes down to the 1 parent who has to work, did not plan properly for snow days, and now is turning it on me. It's not my fault she didn't have a back up plan. I do think they are going to term over this, but, oh well... sad b/c it's my favorite DCB.
JLH 06:18 PM 02-12-2014
My Parent Handbook clearly states that we are closed on the following unpaid holidays:
New Year's
MLK
President's Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after

I also leave a list of these days on the inside of my front door year round. To ensure no one comes knocking on my day off, I leave a note on the outside of my front door a week before the holiday and it stays up until the morning I'm ready to open again.
I've opened my daycare, closed, had twins, and reopened a new daycare a couple years later, so I've had some time to play with the holidays option. The first time I opened, I took all holidays or the mon before or fri after off paid, and I took a week paid off for the week of Christmas and for the week of 4th of July. I found that around my vacations I would lose nearly every kid.
When I reopened a few years later, I took only about 4 days off a year and they were paid. Every holiday I worked I would end up with only 1 or 2 kids showing up, often late, and their parents were off for the day. To make it worse, they were almost always kids on subsidy that I would have gotten paid for even if they had been absent. I had a few snarky comments from parents for the 4 measly days a year I had off too because they had to pay when they couldn't attend.
Last month in Jan. I renewed our contracts and again am trying something new. This time we are closed for most all major holidays but they are unpaid. So far we've closed for 2 and are coming up on our 3rd holiday closure and no one has said anything bad. I don't feel bad for closing for a few extra holidays and the parents seem to like not having to pay.
NoMoreJuice! 07:55 PM 02-12-2014
I take these paid holidays off:

- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving (yes, Black Friday. MUST SHOP.)
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day

Never had a fuss from anyone. Never apologized either. These are pretty standard holidays that most parents have off, and the ones that can't miss work can call Grandma. I should mention that I do NOT take off paid vacation weeks or sick days though. If I close for any reason (funerals, sick days, vacation), it is credited on the next scheduled payment.
KidGrind 03:31 AM 02-13-2014
It's snowing now! I am not going to open either, though I really have struggled with it, but it really comes down to the 1 parent who has to work, did not plan properly for snow days, and now is turning it on me. It's not my fault she didn't have a back up plan. I do think they are going to term over this, but, oh well... sad b/c it's my favorite DCB.
I read your post. I thought for two seconds maybe I should open on Monday. Then I thought, “H**l no!” You were almost a bad influence.
daycarediva 03:45 AM 02-13-2014
I'm open. I am supposed to have a lighter load, since only 3 parents are working but I highly doubt that will happen.
Annalee 05:35 AM 02-13-2014
Sometimes I feel my days off run together and I get leery of what parents think about that, but it is in their contract and posted by the door is the list of closings, so the responsibility to handle that lies with the parent. Hang in there!
cheerfuldom 05:57 AM 02-13-2014

UGH~
I agree. I have turned kids away from the door. there is no way I would let a parent shove a child at me with a rude remark. no way.
TheGoodLife 10:52 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree. I have turned kids away from the door. there is no way I would let a parent shove a child at me with a rude remark. no way.
those are the parents that need to be put in their place- told no and been forced to deal with their own lack of responsibility/ planning.
Tags:holidays, presidents day
Reply Up