Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cook from Scratch or Premade meals
Christina72684 08:08 AM 04-24-2014
How often do you truly cook from scratch versus premade meals? The closest I get to cooking from scratch is making spaghetti. We do store bought pizzas, fish fillets, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, biscuits and gravy, Hamburger or Tuna Helper, etc (none of this is cooked in grease, all is baked in oven). We do make salmon patties, but that's a can of salmon and saltines, so still not super healthy. I just don't see how people have time to cook from scratch while watching kids. And I don't want to give up my entire Sunday pre-making food for the week.

Any tips or tricks to help us out?
SquirrellyMama 08:19 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
How often do you truly cook from scratch versus premade meals? The closest I get to cooking from scratch is making spaghetti. We do store bought pizzas, fish fillets, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, biscuits and gravy, Hamburger or Tuna Helper, etc (none of this is cooked in grease, all is baked in oven). We do make salmon patties, but that's a can of salmon and saltines, so still not super healthy. I just don't see how people have time to cook from scratch while watching kids. And I don't want to give up my entire Sunday pre-making food for the week.

Any tips or tricks to help us out?
The more often you cook from scratch the easier it gets. I can whip up a homemade pizza very quickly. Quesadillas are super easy. You can make them ahead and freeze. They take hardly any time. I make enough of some meals to freeze extra. I do jar spaghetti sauce sometimes and homemade other times. I make my homemade sauce in the crock pot.

ETA- The first time I made homemade pizza it took forever. I've been making them for years now and have gotten faster.

Kelly
Meyou 08:29 AM 04-24-2014
I cook everything from scratch other than bread and crackers. I do make bread and crackers as well but I still purchase our day to day bread and crackers. The key for me is planning, having supplies on hand and managing my time well.

We eat alot of "hour in the oven" type meals for dinner because I can prep while kids are eating snack and throw it in the oven before we go outside. When we come in I just take it out and we're ready to eat.

I do alot of breads/muffins/granola bars for morning snacks because most of these recipes are one bowl and less than 5 minutes prep before it goes in the oven. Banana bread, carrot bread, granola bars and apple muffins are my go to's and I add other toppings to make them a little different.
melilley 08:30 AM 04-24-2014
I make most of my lunches from scratch. Snacks are sometimes homemade, but I admit usually aren't and I buy bread products. Sometimes I make extra portions at dinner and set them aside for dc the next day, this saves a lit of time! When I don't do that, I mostly make things that can be baked in the oven.

Instead of frozen chicken nuggets, I throw chicken into the oven and make homemade nuggets, for pizza I make English muffin pizzas ( one of their favorites)! I make homemade scalloped potatoes and throw some ham into them, meatloaf is fast to prepare, I do make hot dogs occasionally, but buy the all beef ones. Cheese quesadillas or bean and cheese burritos are fast and easy.. just some ideas

Most of the veggies I use are frozen with the exception of potatoes and sometimes carrots, just throw them in a pot and whala!

I only have up to 6 kids a time so making homemade foods is doable for me.
Meyou 08:30 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
The more often you cook from scratch the easier it gets. I can whip up a homemade pizza very quickly. Quesadillas are super easy. You can make them ahead and freeze. They take hardly any time. I make enough of some meals to freeze extra. I do jar spaghetti sauce sometimes and homemade other times. I make my homemade sauce in the crock pot.

ETA- The first time I made homemade pizza it took forever. I've been making them for years now and have gotten faster.

Kelly
Yes! It does get easier and faster the more you do it. I also use my crockpot alot. Chili, spaghetti sauce, stews, whole chicken or ham or soup are all made regularly here in the crockpot.
jenboo 08:40 AM 04-24-2014
The only thing I do not make from scratch for the daycare is bread, tortillas, pasta and bread crumbs.
I make:
-homemade chicken nuggets (same texture as the store bought ones)
-granola bars
-muffins
-pizzas including the dough
-pinto beans
-enchiladas
-lasagna
-applesauce
-soft pretzels
...thats just a few of the things. Its much cheaper to cook from scratch and healthier. I have 6 daycare kids (4 under 2) and it really doesn't take much time. I usually spend my first hour in the morning making/prepping food. I try to make large batched and freeze when I can.
Once you get the hang of it, its really easy!!
melilley 08:41 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Yes! It does get easier and faster the more you do it. I also use my crockpot alot. Chili, spaghetti sauce, stews, whole chicken or ham or soup are all made regularly here in the crockpot.
crock pots are amazing! I also throw meals into the oven right before we go outside!
jenboo 08:46 AM 04-24-2014
oh, its also really helpful to have a rotating menu. I created a 3 week rotating menu that i switch up every 6 months. It allows me to get quick at making the meals/snacks and allows me to cook in bulk and freeze.
Some examples are:
-soft pretzels for snack (i make a large batch during nap one day and freeze them. Now i dont have to make them for another month)
-Pancakes/waffles (I whip up a large batch and freeze)
-Chicken nuggets (i make a large batch and freeze them)
-chicken (i cook up a package of children breasts and then cube it and freeze it. I only defrost as much as I need for one meal).
SignMeUp 08:56 AM 04-24-2014
Whenever I cook, either for family or dc, I make a huge batch. Then I freeze in quart-size freezer bags, enough for a small group. I pull two out for a larger group or older kids.
I freeze them lying flat, then I rack them in the freezer like it's a bookshelf.

I make a zillion different soups (more like a stew, to meet nutrition requirements) and different casserole type dishes. If it's something we don't eat often, I label with a sharpie before bagging the food so that I know what it is.
I can pull out day-by-day or pull out a week's worth of food on Monday to thaw slowly in 9x13 pan in the fridge. Sometimes I plan a week's worth of menus, other times choose what kids are requesting.

The downside: I usually toss the bags after one or two uses, not eco-friendly. I used to use re-useable containers, but they are not space efficient in my freezer, and I can't see what's in them as easily, even when labeled.

I tend to make a lot in the fall, then do some regularly throughout the early winter. In the spring, I try to use it all up so I can start fresh in the fall.

In the summer, we eat almost all separated food groups, raw foods, finger foods. Easy picnic-style meals.
Oss_cc 09:07 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Whenever I cook, either for family or dc, I make a huge batch. Then I freeze in quart-size freezer bags, enough for a small group. I pull two out for a larger group or older kids.
I freeze them lying flat, then I rack them in the freezer like it's a bookshelf.

I make a zillion different soups (more like a stew, to meet nutrition requirements) and different casserole type dishes. If it's something we don't eat often, I label with a sharpie before bagging the food so that I know what it is.
I can pull out day-by-day or pull out a week's worth of food on Monday to thaw slowly in 9x13 pan in the fridge. Sometimes I plan a week's worth of menus, other times choose what kids are requesting.

The downside: I usually toss the bags after one or two uses, not eco-friendly. I used to use re-useable containers, but they are not space efficient in my freezer, and I can't see what's in them as easily, even when labeled.

I tend to make a lot in the fall, then do some regularly throughout the early winter. In the spring, I try to use it all up so I can start fresh in the fall.

In the summer, we eat almost all separated food groups, raw foods, finger foods. Easy picnic-style meals.
I often do leftovers from our dinner the night before - soups, casseroles, etc. Or cook extra chicken, shrimp, beef... and repurpose it the next day for the kids.
kitkat 12:15 PM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
The only thing I do not make from scratch for the daycare is bread, tortillas, pasta and bread crumbs.
I make:
-homemade chicken nuggets (same texture as the store bought ones)
-granola bars
-muffins
-pizzas including the dough
-pinto beans
-enchiladas
-lasagna
-applesauce
-soft pretzels
...thats just a few of the things. Its much cheaper to cook from scratch and healthier. I have 6 daycare kids (4 under 2) and it really doesn't take much time. I usually spend my first hour in the morning making/prepping food. I try to make large batched and freeze when I can.
Once you get the hang of it, its really easy!!
Can you please share your chicken nugget recipe? I've tried a few different recipes, but the kids haven't like any of them. I think it's the texture. Thanks!
Jack Sprat 12:20 PM 04-24-2014
Everyday! We never ate prepared foods before daycare so I didn't change it when daycare opened. I love my slow cooker and I always make enough to feed my family either that evening or the next.
spud912 02:32 PM 04-24-2014
Most of our lunch meals are prepared/cooked during nap time and served the next day (served that night to my family). I understand that it is technically "leftovers," but most of these meals taste better the next day anyway (soups and stews, spaghetti, lasagna, etc.). The other lunch-meals are prepared between outdoor time and lunch time (I put a quick educational show on for the kiddos while I do it). Breakfast is made from scratch in the morning while the kids are arriving. I can whip together homemade whole wheat pancakes in under 30 minutes (including cleaning the dishes used to make the pancakes).
NeedaVaca 03:45 PM 04-24-2014
I cook most everything from scratch and it really doesn't take long at all. Plus, if you start doing this you can advertise it! I know all of my families really love the food my DCK's get to eat and they comment on it often, it's a huge selling point for me
Rachel 07:56 AM 04-28-2014
I mostly cook from scratch, but easy stuff, not complicated. Anything complicated I do at least double, and usually more and flash freeze. I do meatballs approximately once a week, bake them, flash freeze & take out what I need that day. Same with fried & breaded chicken cutlets. At least once a week is a crock pot meal that I either do overnight or put up first thing in the morning for lunch. Things like chicken stir fry I do for my family and cook extra for the daycare kids. I do cheat and use only frozen veggies (microwave them in a bit of water), and also I buy 90% of the bread and cookie type products.
mema 08:12 AM 04-28-2014
I do a lot from scratch also. It does get easier the more you do it. I have a small group, so usually whatever we have for supper, we have for lunch the next day. Naptime I prep supper/lunch. Crockpots, oven meals, double batches
jenboo 08:51 AM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Can you please share your chicken nugget recipe? I've tried a few different recipes, but the kids haven't like any of them. I think it's the texture. Thanks!
Here you go. Kids love them!! I dont make the fun shapes though..too much work haha

http://www.superhealthykids.com/heal...en-nuggets.php
countrymom 09:49 AM 04-28-2014
you know whats awful, I cook from scratch but the daycare kids aren't keen. They are so use to processed food its sickening. So I usually try to balance. But whats more sad is my own kids (all 4 older children) won't eat process food, they would rather have me slave over a stove than eat a tv dinner, drives me nuts some days.
Cradle2crayons 09:51 AM 04-28-2014
I do everything from scratch except crackers and cheese lol.

I buy those foil pans and make meals in those and label and freeze them. I do all casseroles this way also.

I make up the ingredients for pizza dough or rolls etc in ziplocks and label and store so when I want to use it it's ready except for yeast or liquid ingredients.

Prep is the key. Crock pots are awesome.
akpayne 09:54 AM 04-28-2014
I cook everything from scratch. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty appalled by the things you listed that you serve. I believe in clean, nutritious meals to balance our minds and body and I would never serve my daycare kids any less either. My parents often rave about my meals and my daycare kids are great eaters.
jenboo 10:04 AM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by countrymom:
you know whats awful, I cook from scratch but the daycare kids aren't keen. They are so use to processed food its sickening. So I usually try to balance. But whats more sad is my own kids (all 4 older children) won't eat process food, they would rather have me slave over a stove than eat a tv dinner, drives me nuts some days.
I do a 3 week rotating menu and switch it up every 6 months. It usually takes a good 2-3 months for the kids to adjust to the food (minus one child who eats really good).
Its sad how many kids grow up on processed foods!!!
TwinKristi 02:36 PM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by akpayne:
I cook everything from scratch. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty appalled by the things you listed that you serve. I believe in clean, nutritious meals to balance our minds and body and I would never serve my daycare kids any less either. My parents often rave about my meals and my daycare kids are great eaters.
What works for you doesn't work for everyone!

I do mostly homemade. The things I don't do homemade are usually organic boxed Mac-n-cheese, (the kids never eat my homemade, I've given up on that battle!) gluten free waffles, corn tortillas, mashed potatoes, cereal, crackers, applesauce and certain snacks like Pirate's Booty or PopChips. I have one guy who I do a gluten free diet for so a lot of frozen/premade things don't work. I've adjusted everyone's diet so we can just have one meal to make (except Mac n cheese, he has separate since the other kids think the GF is pretty gnarly and it's 3x the cost) but I make my chicken nuggets from scratch now. I use this recipe and it's super yummy! I use Chex and Bob's RedMill GF all purpose baking mix since the GF Bisquick is so expensive.http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/o...ckentender.htm
Christina72684 05:11 PM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by akpayne:
I would love to cook everything from scratch. However, I don't know how to cook, any free time after work hours is spent with my 3yr old and 8 month old, and I guarantee my DC kids eat A LOT worse at home. We're on the food program and serve only foods that are allowed. They receive a grain, meat, veggie, and fruit every day for lunch. I think we could be serving a lot worse!
renodeb 05:40 PM 04-28-2014
To be honest, I do about 50/50. Much of what I cook the night before can be fed to the dc and they love it. I would love to cook more and more form scratch but its hard with two new babies in the dc. The dc parents are always amazed at what there kids will eat here!
I would love to see some recipes posted on here.
Deb
taylorw1210 04:47 AM 04-29-2014
I would love to cook everything from scratch. However, I don't know how to cook, any free time after work hours is spent with my 3yr old and 8 month old, and I guarantee my DC kids eat A LOT worse at home. We're on the food program and serve only foods that are allowed. They receive a grain, meat, veggie, and fruit every day for lunch. I think we could be serving a lot worse!
Some of my DCK's have come in eating CHEETOS for BREAKFAST. It quickly got thrown away and replaced with something far healthier, even though I don't serve breakfast. I could not bring myself to allow that child to eat cheetos for breakfast.

I also do a mix of home made/pre-made. A lot of my dinners I cook extra and serve that for lunch the next day. I have a couple really good eaters, who you can tell go home and eat healthy food. And then I have a few really picky eaters who won't touch simple things like home made spaghetti and meatballs - but would eat the heck out of spaghettios all day, everyday.
LadyK8 09:08 AM 04-29-2014
I cook everything from scrap. My household doesn't eat pre-made meals.
NeedaVaca 09:33 AM 04-29-2014
You can learn and it would be something you can do with your kids, the 3 yr old can help measure, dump, mix, stir, etc. It can be educational and fun Plus you would be teaching her about good eating habits and that can last her entire lifetime.

You can find tons of easy recipes online, make casseroles, quick crockpot meals, roast a chicken in the oven, can have it for dinner and then make soup or quesadillas the next day. It doesn't have to be fancy!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:38 AM 04-29-2014
From scratch but like Sandra Lee sometimes it is semi homemade
So pizza crust, super easy in the food processor. But I use jared organic spaghetti sauce. I use blocks of mozzarella, I run it though the food processor.
I plan on 2 meals that use the sauce that week, or freeze the rest.
I use bottled bbq sauce (natural sauce), organic salsa, organic ketchup etc.

I think that planning is the key. I try to prep what I can the evening before early in the morning. For example this morning I peeled and cut up the potatoes for the mashed potatoes and put them in the pot with water so all I had to do was turn them on.

This weeks menu
Monday- Mac and cheese (they had this on Friday too. When I make the cheese sauce I do better making the larger batch so it does 2 meals. So early morning I make the cheese sauce. I put half into the crock pot on keep warm and half into a canning jar in the frig and make the macaroni fresh for the each meal. So I do tend to do the Friday/ Monday combo) They had broccoli (frozen) and bananas and strawberries (fresh)

Tuesday- BBQ pork (put pork in crock pot early this morning) Mashed Potatoes (peeled early) Green Beans (canned) and apples.

Wednesday- Meatballs (homemade, made in an evening and frozen so they will go in the oven with spaghetti sauce- jarred) spaghetti (boil at lunchtime) Cauliflower (frozen) Cantaloupe (fresh cut up early morning)

Thursday- Tacos (meat browned early morning and placed in crockpot) Whole wheat tortillas (purchased) corn (frozen) strawberries (fresh)

Friday Homemade cheese pizza as described above. Broccoli (frozen) bananas

AM snack is cheerios or pb toast and milk.
Dinners are simpler. Cheese, crackers, raw vegies, fruit. Sandwiches, vegies, fruit etc.
akpayne 09:41 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
You can learn and it would be something you can do with your kids, the 3 yr old can help measure, dump, mix, stir, etc. It can be educational and fun Plus you would be teaching her about good eating habits and that can last her entire lifetime.

You can find tons of easy recipes online, make casseroles, quick crockpot meals, roast a chicken in the oven, can have it for dinner and then make soup or quesadillas the next day. It doesn't have to be fancy!
Exactly this! I also have two young children, a full house all day and manage to make healthy tasty meals everyday. A little organization goes a long way.
Tags:food
Reply Up