Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with Bank Please!
spud912 01:48 PM 12-02-2013
Sorry this is long. I'm just trying to see if anyone has any advice or pointers they can give me!

So I made the daycare payment deposit last Wednesday. Everything went in just fine and I made our house payment. The account was still positive but not by a huge amount. On Thursday, the bank removed $110 from my account as a "check hold," yet none of my checks were written for that amount. This put my account in the negative. I called the bank and they had no information for me but that it should clear by Friday since it's a business day. I asked if I would be charged an overdraft fee and they assured me I would not.

The next day, I transferred money into the account to cover two payments that were coming out that day. I noticed that the check was still on hold so I called them again. They said that it would go through later in the day and to call back. I called back later in the day and it was still on hold. I asked again if I needed to transfer money over to cover the check on hold so I wouldn't be charged any fees and they said that it will most likely go through closer to midnight and I won't be charged any overdraft fees.

I wake up the next day to find overdraft fees charged to my account and the check still did not go through . They still have no idea what is on hold and they can't give me any information. Since it doesn't match the amounts of any checks I deposited, perhaps it is a tax lien or debt collection? I told them that is absurd....I don't have any taxes owed and I am current on all my debt. They state they will not remove the overdraft fees . Basically I get off the phone with no information whatsoever and no idea when the hold will be released.

I call today because the hold is still not released and they allude to the fact that perhaps it was an NSF check, but to "check back again tomorrow." If that is the case, I would like to know because I'm providing child care to this family in the meantime!

I'm just about fed up with my bank! I wouldn't be so mad if they would just inform me of what is going on so I can fix it and to not keep putting me off until "tomorrow" while charging me fees!!!

Those of you who had returned checks, did they hold a portion of the check for a few days before it was officially returned? If nothing is solved tomorrow, I plan on going to the bank and speaking to the bank manager. Aren't they required to tell me what is going on? Is there a time limit on how long they can hold my money?
TwinKristi 02:02 PM 12-02-2013
I would go to the bank and talk to the mgr ASAP! If it's an NSF check they don't usually hold it, it just comes out plus your bank fees. Was there a check for an amount ending in $10? Maybe they only credit your deposit up to a certain amount? Like I know my bank only released $100 worth of non-payroll checks on an ATM deposit and then releases the rest after 2 business days and if you spend beyond that hold you will get over draft fees.
With the holiday weekend like last week we would never deposit in the ATM because it would be held til Tues at Midnight but now they've changed their ATM deposit policy and they release the whole thing up to $2,000 if your account isn't currently overdrafted because their branches were always full with deposits to be instantly credited.
spud912 02:14 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I would go to the bank and talk to the mgr ASAP! If it's an NSF check they don't usually hold it, it just comes out plus your bank fees. Was there a check for an amount ending in $10? Maybe they only credit your deposit up to a certain amount? Like I know my bank only released $100 worth of non-payroll checks on an ATM deposit and then releases the rest after 2 business days and if you spend beyond that hold you will get over draft fees.
With the holiday weekend like last week we would never deposit in the ATM because it would be held til Tues at Midnight but now they've changed their ATM deposit policy and they release the whole thing up to $2,000 if your account isn't currently overdrafted because their branches were always full with deposits to be instantly credited.
I did deposit at the ATM, but way before their cutoff time of 8 pm. When I do deposit after 8 pm (not this time, but on other occasions), the receipt states that a portion of the deposit is on hold but it will cover debits made on that day. The overdraft was from a debit made 2 days after the deposit was made.

Do you think if they do credit back to my account, will it show up as the actual date the hold was placed or will the hold show up on the day the hold was released? If they did it the day it was placed, I might be able to fight the overdraft. If not, then they basically scammed their way into charging me an overdraft . "Hey, let's remove $110 from this lady's account and charge her an overdraft and then put the $110 back. Even better, let's do this on THANKSGIVING!!"
snbauser 02:32 PM 12-02-2013
The only time I have had a hold placed for a returned payment was when they redeposited the check. And the hold was for 10 business days. It sucked because it was one of my parents that pays monthly.
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
The only time I have had a hold placed for a returned payment was when they redeposited the check. And the hold was for 10 business days. It sucked because it was one of my parents that pays monthly.
Same here. The only time a check was held was because it was NSF the first time the bank tried to deposit it. They then placed a 10 day hold on the funds while trying to re-deposit.

Sorry this is happening to you Spud! That totally sucks
daycarediva 03:15 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here. The only time a check was held was because it was NSF the first time the bank tried to deposit it. They then placed a 10 day hold on the funds while trying to re-deposit.

Sorry this is happening to you Spud! That totally sucks
Same here. Mine was for a 3 day/week client at $135, BUT they removed $155 (the $20 fee for a NSF check) I have 2 clients with the same $ amount, and it took them 10 days to tell me whose check it was! I was LIVID. Turns out, it wasn't NSF and someone entered the account # wrong. They never dd refund my NSF check fee---I was just out $20. Thankfully didn't overdraft.

I would call and speak to a manager ASAP>
spud912 04:14 PM 12-02-2013
That's just the thing....they won't even tell me if it is in fact a returned check. They keep saying "maybe" but it could be something else. I need to know asap!
spud912 09:39 PM 12-02-2013
So they reinstated my held amount as if it never happened but never removed my overdraft fee . My account is still negative but only because they charged me that overdraft fee. .

I went to the only branch that was still open past 5 pm and the manager was "off" for the remainder of the day. The teller stated she could help me and proceeded to call customer service . Seriously? I could have done that from home! The customer service rep stated that they will "research" it and get back with me within 2-3 days. If the bank made an error, they will refund me the overdraft fee. I'm sure those 2-3 days will be spent coming up with some lame excuse on how they never make errors and all of this is somehow my fault.

I'm seriously going to get rid of Bank of America and switch to a local credit union.
Angelsj 05:07 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
So they reinstated my held amount as if it never happened but never removed my overdraft fee . My account is still negative but only because they charged me that overdraft fee. .

I went to the only branch that was still open past 5 pm and the manager was "off" for the remainder of the day. The teller stated she could help me and proceeded to call customer service . Seriously? I could have done that from home! The customer service rep stated that they will "research" it and get back with me within 2-3 days. If the bank made an error, they will refund me the overdraft fee. I'm sure those 2-3 days will be spent coming up with some lame excuse on how they never make errors and all of this is somehow my fault.

I'm seriously going to get rid of Bank of America and switch to a local credit union.

Best decision we ever made. And for exactly this garbage.
Blackcat31 05:54 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Best decision we ever made. And for exactly this garbage.
Us too... We used to do all our banking through Wells Fargo but now are part of a local credit union.

SOOOO much happier! The personal service is the best.
Heidi 05:56 AM 12-03-2013
My "other job" was banking, although I never worked for a big chain like BOA.

My advice is to call and sweetly ask for the branch manager. Butter him (or her) up with how you've been a satisfied customer for x amount of years, but now you have a problem that you can't seem to get resolved. Could he possibly help you understand what is going on or direct you to who it is you should be talking to? Then explain the problem
MarinaVanessa 07:03 AM 12-03-2013
Oh sweet jeebus, you were talking about B of A. Don't get me started with them. I used to bank with them too and left because of bad business practices. I was never charged any service fees because I qualified for free checking because I met their requirements for free checking (automatic deposit, amount in accounts collectively etc). Well in one month they charged me the service fee of $15 THREE TIMES!! and for no reason because I still had my paycheck automatically deposited to this account. Well I had just paid bills so I only had $30 in that account so it made over and then they charged me overdraft fees ON TOP OF THAT!!!

I went to the bank and at first they refused to reverse anything until I showed them that I shouldn't be getting a service fee since I had direct deposit much less three of them in the same month. So finally they reversed the three charges but wpuldnt take the overdraft fees off FOR AN ISSUE THAT THE BANK CREATED!!! There were other people th. ere banking tht couId hear what was going on. and even some chimed in that it was wrong. Finally I just gave up and walked out. The next day I walked back in after having opened an account at another bank and told them to keep the $50, but that I would be closing my accounts. I took my personal account, my business account, two savings accounts and two accounts for our kids (college funds). As I was waiting to finish it all my then fiance (now DH) went in closed all of his accounts as well - personal, business, savings, IRA, ETC. As I was getting up to leave I told the manager that I would be filing a claim with the BBB and did it, four weeks later i got a check in the mail.

Wouldnt
Heidi 10:42 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Oh sweet jeebus, you were talking about B of A. Don't get me started with them. I used to bank with them too and left because of bad business practices. I was never charged any service fees because I qualified for free checking because I met their requirements for free checking (automatic deposit, amount in accounts collectively etc). Well in one month they charged me the service fee of $15 THREE TIMES!! and for no reason because I still had my paycheck automatically deposited to this account. Well I had just paid bills so I only had $30 in that account so it made over and then they charged me overdraft fees ON TOP OF THAT!!!

I went to the bank and at first they refused to reverse anything until I showed them that I shouldn't be getting a service fee since I had direct deposit much less three of them in the same month. So finally they reversed the three charges but wpuldnt take the overdraft fees off FOR AN ISSUE THAT THE BANK CREATED!!! There were other people th. ere banking tht couId hear what was going on. and even some chimed in that it was wrong. Finally I just gave up and walked out. The next day I walked back in after having opened an account at another bank and told them to keep the $50, but that I would be closing my accounts. I took my personal account, my business account, two savings accounts and two accounts for our kids (college funds). As I was waiting to finish it all my then fiance (now DH) went in closed all of his accounts as well - personal, business, savings, IRA, ETC. As I was getting up to leave I told the manager that I would be filing a claim with the BBB and did it, four weeks later i got a check in the mail.

Wouldnt
When I was 9 months pregnant with my first child, we had a problem with a body shop (part of a Ford Dealership). Someone had hit us and they took WEEKS to fix it, excuse after excuse. They also claimed not to have a loaner.

Everything changed quickly when my sister, also 9 months pregnant, told them that if the car was not done by the next morning, we would both stand in the showroom crying out eyes out while begging for mercy.

Do you think the car was done?
spud912 12:39 PM 12-03-2013
So I called them this morning and acted super normal and nice and told the person on the phone the watered down story. He immediately refunds all the fees as if it was nothing. So I suppose I was a little too proactive considering I already filed a complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and sent them a heated letter yesterday . They get what they deserve for creating so much unnecessary stress for me and my husband on Thanksgiving weekend. I still have no idea what the hold was for....I guess at this point I never will know. Now I have to convince my dh to switch to a federal credit union....I don't want to deal with this again!
WImom 12:49 PM 12-03-2013
So Sorry your going though this. I would highly consider switching to a credit union as well. I did and it's been great. I have a business account with them which is nice because if I have a NSF from a client I don't keep get fees everyday it's under. Just one fee that I charge my client.
Tags:bank account, money problems
Reply Up