Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"We Are NOT Equals!!"
Cat Herder 06:07 AM 01-31-2014
As I was scrolling through some posts on a board I once frequented I came across this comment written as an "unsent letter to my child's babysitter"...

"Don't dare try to give me advice about my OWN child! Who do you think you are? We are not equals. Your clue should be that I pay YOU. You work for ME. You could not hack it in a field that requires even a high school diploma, that is why you are an adult babysitter to begin with."

There are a little over 300 replies right now.... It was fun.

My reply was "Awww, I am sure you are pretty, too." (the context was a vent and the OP had a strong sense of humor about herself)

What would yours be.... TGIF!!!
Reply
Naptime yet? 06:13 AM 01-31-2014
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"
Reply
Maria2013 06:16 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"

Reply
daycarediva 06:49 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"
HAHAHAHA! AGREED!

I spend more time with my FT kids than their parents do. My good clients ask my advice on a regular basis, because I know their child so well.

I am also more of an outside perspective.

The advice I offer IS well intentioned and with the children's best interests in mind.

Your child isn't perfect, and neither are you. Learn to take constructive criticism (it's a good job skill) and teach your child to do the same.

I am more educated than all but one of my daycare parents.

I am a professional in this field and offer a service. YOU are MY client, you contracted for my service. I am NOT your employee.
Reply
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 01-31-2014
My reply?

"Yes, I agree we are NOT equals. It is evident to me daily."

I would say no more.....

as my 4 yr old DCK struggles to even put his own shoes on
as my 18 month old DCB sits in a high chair and waits to be spoon fed
as my 3 yr old DCG comes in screaming and crying because the Skittles she had in their hand must be left in the van
as my 2 yr old DCK waves out the window at mommy in her PJ pants as she heads back home to have a "me" day
as my 5 yr old DCK lays sleeping on the playroom floor before lunch because he didn't go to bed last night until after 11:00
as my 12 month old DCB cries to held ALL day and can't bear the thought of being put down



Yep, I would HAVE to agree with her. We are NOT equals.
Reply
childcaremom 06:57 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My reply?

"Yes, I agree we are NOT equals. It is evident to me daily."

I would say no more.....

as my 4 yr old DCK struggles to even put his own shoes on
as my 18 month old DCB sits in a high chair and waits to be spoon fed
as my 3 yr old DCG comes in screaming and crying because the Skittles she had in their hand must be left in the van
as my 2 yr old DCK waves out the window at mommy in her PJ pants as she heads back home to have a "me" day
as my 5 yr old DCK lays sleeping on the playroom floor before lunch because he didn't go to bed last night until after 11:00
as my 12 month old DCB cries to held ALL day and can't bear the thought of being put down



Yep, I would HAVE to agree with her. We are NOT equals.

Reply
daycarediva 06:58 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My reply?

"Yes, I agree we are NOT equals. It is evident to me daily."

I would say no more.....

as my 4 yr old DCK struggles to even put his own shoes on
as my 18 month old DCB sits in a high chair and waits to be spoon fed
as my 3 yr old DCG comes in screaming and crying because the Skittles she had in their hand must be left in the van
as my 2 yr old DCK waves out the window at mommy in her PJ pants as she heads back home to have a "me" day
as my 5 yr old DCK lays sleeping on the playroom floor before lunch because he didn't go to bed last night until after 11:00
as my 12 month old DCB cries to held ALL day and can't bear the thought of being put down



Yep, I would HAVE to agree with her. We are NOT equals.
ohhhhh burn!!!!!!!! (and sadly, very accurate)
Reply
nannyde 06:59 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"
I like you more and more each day.
Reply
Meyou 07:05 AM 01-31-2014
My reply would be something like, "This babysitter makes more money staying in her own home with her own kids and enjoying her life than she ever did working outside the home with her degree in a management job. Thanks DCM for funding this babysitters amazing life. I'm so, so glad we aren't equal."
Reply
Cat Herder 07:06 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"
I bet it won't surprise you to know that reply was taken (more than a few times, actually)....

One of my favorites was "you is kind..... you is smart..... you is important...."
Reply
nannyde 07:17 AM 01-31-2014
My answer would be... "One week with your kid and I will know more about them than you will in his/her life time. It's not personal. You are a parent who has a couple of months experience. I do this for a living. Of course I know more than you do.

Just because you pay someone it doesn't mean you know more about the service they provide. I learned that last month when I paid a grand to get something fixed on my the car I have owned for FIFTEEN years."

It's really too bad that parenting sill has to be something that is bestowed upon someone because they have sex, conceive a child, and give birth. What's so wrong with saying I am learning as I go along?
Reply
Leigh 07:26 AM 01-31-2014
If a parent said that to me, I'd let them know that I DO have an education, and I DID have a career that meant the world to me before my son came along. My son meant more to me than any amount of money, the chance at daily adult contact, going to work to have someone else tell me what to do, or the "power" that I had at my job. I would tell that parent that I stay home with my child because I love him too much to drop him off at a stranger's home 10+ hours a day, and because I couldn't bear the thought of that stranger experiencing all of those important milestones in his life. I wanted to be the one to shape him, teach him his letters and numbers, and be there for illnesses and boo-boos.

I stay home because being a PARENT is the most important job in the world, and I'm not selfish enough to leave him with others. I truly believe that kids belong at home with Mommy or Daddy the first years of their life, and I wanted him to have what he DESERVED, not what I WANTED. I'd let her know that we are NOT equals, because it's obvious that I'm the better parent-I'm able to put his needs before my own.
Reply
Kabob 07:31 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My answer would be... "One week with your kid and I will know more about them than you will in his/her life time. It's not personal. You are a parent who has a couple of months experience. I do this for a living. Of course I know more than you do.

Just because you pay someone it doesn't mean you know more about the service they provide. I learned that last month when I paid a grand to get something fixed on my the car I have owned for FIFTEEN years."

It's really too bad that parenting sill has to be something that is bestowed upon someone because they have sex, conceive a child, and give birth. What's so wrong with saying I am learning as I go along?
You know I joked with dh last night that the reason why kids take so long to grow up is because we as parents need time to adjust to our ever-changing jobs as parents.

But yeah, if that lady truly thought her "sitter" is not her equal then I don't know why she bothers to continue sending her child to someone that is so beneath her. Wouldn't she be worried that her child would suffer from being with someone for 10 hours a day that is so unintelligent?
Reply
Play Care 07:36 AM 01-31-2014
I saw the same post. I didn't bother replying. I am not a babysitter or a nanny, so I didn't feel as though it applied to me.
Reply
mountainside13 07:39 AM 01-31-2014
Where was this posted at?!
Reply
Cat Herder 07:45 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I saw the same post. I didn't bother replying. I am not a babysitter or a nanny, so I didn't feel as though it applied to me.
A friend just texted me a link to the "nanny" one....

The CM one is a spin off, I think.... Maybe the BC one is a spin off of that one... For all I know it started on FB... That is what I get for skipping FB. (it has been in the 28 day cycle for a while )

Who knows.... Chicken, egg or omelet.

Either way, the topic seemed fun for the Friday water cooler...
Reply
Tdhmom 07:58 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"
That sums up my response!!! Lol
Reply
coolconfidentme 08:12 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You could not hack it in a field that requires even a high school diploma, that is why you are an adult babysitter to begin with."
My FAV part!!
I actually use to work with Chemical Weapons of Mass Destruction. Before that I was a State Police Officer. All while raising 3 children & having 2 college degrees. I now choose to work with Little Weapons of Mass Destruction No we are not equal, lol.
Reply
coolconfidentme 08:15 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's really too bad that parenting sill has to be something that is bestowed upon someone because they have sex, conceive a child, and give birth. What's so wrong with saying I am learning as I go along?
You have to have a license to fish.., but you don't have to have one to be a parent. Go figure...
Reply
mia 08:18 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"

Reply
KDC 08:29 AM 01-31-2014
The inner child in me would;
Scream 'JERK' and kick them in the shin.

The adult in me would say, "I'm sorry you feel that way, I choose to work WITH people who appreciate my services, therefore you will need to find a new care provider."

Reminds me of the book The Nanny Diaries. I hated that book.
Reply
Play Care 08:54 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
A friend just texted me a link to the "nanny" one....

The CM one is a spin off, I think.... Maybe the BC one is a spin off of that one... For all I know it started on FB... That is what I get for skipping FB. (it has been in the 28 day cycle for a while )

Who knows.... Chicken, egg or omelet.

Either way, the topic seemed fun for the Friday water cooler...
Oh, don't get me wrong, I rolled my eyes when I saw the one on CM. I haven't seen any others. But with CM, most of the posters are of the lowest common denominators and I don't like to waste my breath
Reply
Happily_wed 09:10 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"
This would probably be my response followed by "and when you are finished, find yourself a new daycare provider as well!"
Reply
butterfly 01:17 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"
Originally Posted by Happily_wed:
This would probably be my response followed by "and when you are finished, find yourself a new daycare provider as well!"

Reply
MyAngels 02:01 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
It would probably start with "go" and end with " yourself"
Succinct and to the point - what more could you say?
Reply
Kaddidle Care 02:17 PM 01-31-2014
No respect? There's the door - don't let it hit ya on the way out!
Reply
KidGrind 02:34 PM 01-31-2014
You are correct we are not equal. Have a wonderful life!
Reply
JoseyJo 03:08 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

One of my favorites was "you is kind..... you is smart..... you is important...."
After watching this movie we started saying a variation of this every day at the end of circle time. It is amazing to see the little ones faces light up when as they say I am kind, I am smart, I am IMPORTANT!
Reply
Cat Herder 03:25 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
After watching this movie we started saying a variation of this every day at the end of circle time. It is amazing to see the little ones faces light up when as they say I am kind, I am smart, I am IMPORTANT!
Too cute

**I know my eyes teared up when she said that, while holding hands, to the little girl in the movie. I think it is something not enough kids get to hear from someone they respect.
Reply
Josiegirl 04:29 PM 01-31-2014
Wow, what a witch she must be. It doesn't take an education to be educated. You can have all the degrees in the world, yet lack common sense, love, compassion, understanding.
Reply
Angelsj 06:00 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I bet it won't surprise you to know that reply was taken (more than a few times, actually)....

One of my favorites was "you is kind..... you is smart..... you is important...."
lol Perfect.
Reply
Shell 06:13 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
If a parent said that to me, I'd let them know that I DO have an education, and I DID have a career that meant the world to me before my son came along. My son meant more to me than any amount of money, the chance at daily adult contact, going to work to have someone else tell me what to do, or the "power" that I had at my job. I would tell that parent that I stay home with my child because I love him too much to drop him off at a stranger's home 10+ hours a day, and because I couldn't bear the thought of that stranger experiencing all of those important milestones in his life. I wanted to be the one to shape him, teach him his letters and numbers, and be there for illnesses and boo-boos.

I stay home because being a PARENT is the most important job in the world, and I'm not selfish enough to leave him with others. I truly believe that kids belong at home with Mommy or Daddy the first years of their life, and I wanted him to have what he DESERVED, not what I WANTED. I'd let her know that we are NOT equals, because it's obvious that I'm the better parent-I'm able to put his needs before my own.

Reply
Mister Sir Husband 05:00 PM 02-01-2014
Well let's see.. "I pay YOU. You work for ME. You could not hack it in a field that requires even a high school diploma"

If someone actually said that to me?? wow... no problem...

I used to work for you, but I hereby quit. You may take your child and hire someone else to work for you tomorrow.
Reply
Laurel 08:07 AM 02-02-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
As I was scrolling through some posts on a board I once frequented I came across this comment written as an "unsent letter to my child's babysitter"...

"Don't dare try to give me advice about my OWN child! Who do you think you are? We are not equals. Your clue should be that I pay YOU. You work for ME. You could not hack it in a field that requires even a high school diploma, that is why you are an adult babysitter to begin with."

There are a little over 300 replies right now.... It was fun.

My reply was "Awww, I am sure you are pretty, too." (the context was a vent and the OP had a strong sense of humor about herself)

What would yours be.... TGIF!!!
My response would be: "That is not worthy of a response. Goodbye. Don't come back."

Laurel
Reply
Tags:fun, parents - are clueless, parents - competitive, parents - confrontational, parents - don't appreciate, water cooler
Reply Up