Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Prom 2013
Michelle 08:38 AM 05-03-2013
Prom Dress shopping for a GIRL

1. try on 20 dresses but daughter doesn't like any of them
2. get a dirty look from sales lady because you referred to a dress as "the slutty one"
3. started to bargain with daughter that you would buy any dress no matter the cost if she would just pick one dress!
4. try on another 20 dresses..daughter says"I won't wear those" scream in your head" ahhhhhhh o.k. this is going to happen and this is what makes memories"
5. Sunday... more prom dress shopping... rinse and repeat

Prom shopping for a BOY
1. find out what color the girls is wearing.. go to tux shop , get a tux that matches, go home and wait for them to call you when tux is ready

This was my night last night!
ABCDaycareMN 09:02 AM 05-03-2013
Do you have any small wedding/formal dress shops. Usually in a city. Those are the best places to shop IMO. It's more 1 of a kind and cute!
Lyss 09:12 AM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Prom Dress shopping for a GIRL

1. try on 20 dresses but daughter doesn't like any of them
2. get a dirty look from sales lady because you referred to a dress as "the slutty one"
3. started to bargain with daughter that you would buy any dress no matter the cost if she would just pick one dress!
4. try on another 20 dresses..daughter says"I won't wear those" scream in your head" ahhhhhhh o.k. this is going to happen and this is what makes memories"
5. Sunday... more prom dress shopping... rinse and repeat

Prom shopping for a BOY
1. find out what color the girls is wearing.. go to tux shop , get a tux that matches, go home and wait for them to call you when tux is ready

This was my night last night!
Man I am not looking forward to the teenage years with my DD
Michelle 09:39 AM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
Do you have any small wedding/formal dress shops. Usually in a city. Those are the best places to shop IMO. It's more 1 of a kind and cute!
that's great advice! I will look because we have struck out at every store we went to last night!
Sugar Magnolia 10:46 AM 05-03-2013
Yep. Easy pie, select tux, they are all the same. Done.
Then I get hit with this....."but mooooooooom, I can't drive the crappy car (2004 , Mitsubishi), I NEEEEEEED the Mercedes."
Over my dead body!
Then dad says ok
Pray for my Merc.
Razzledbrat 10:56 AM 05-03-2013
I can soooo relate! My dd #3 is having prom todayyy in the rain Im at home crying because i cant be with her to get her hair, nails, pics done I couldnt take the day off because I am taking another day off this month for another senior event. I have ONE mom that always questions me or argues with me about closing I am in tears today. My daughter was leaving with her prom dress etc this morning while this mom was dropping off. She asked if she was going to a dance. I said its her prom. I cant be with her today. I wont even see her with her dress on. I cant take pics or anything. So the mom says...well...I didnt go to my prom. This hurt my feelings and Ive made the decision to never miss another big event like this again.
MamaBearCanada 11:08 AM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by Razzledbrat:
I can soooo relate! My dd #3 is having prom todayyy in the rain Im at home crying because i cant be with her to get her hair, nails, pics done I couldnt take the day off because I am taking another day off this month for another senior event. I have ONE mom that always questions me or argues with me about closing I am in tears today. My daughter was leaving with her prom dress etc this morning while this mom was dropping off. She asked if she was going to a dance. I said its her prom. I cant be with her today. I wont even see her with her dress on. I cant take pics or anything. So the mom says...well...I didnt go to my prom. This hurt my feelings and Ive made the decision to never miss another big event like this again.
I feel so bad for you

Next time you book a day off don't tell her what it's for just refer to your policy.

"As stated, I have x days (un)paid off. This is one of them." As BC says rinse & repeat Just because she missed out on things doesn't mean everyone else should!

This is why I want to stay small with parents who are happy to use backup when needed.
Blackcat31 11:52 AM 05-03-2013
(((hugs))) I can only imagine how you feel.

Like MamaBear said, don't let the DCM argue with you about your closing times. Just state them and stick to them....and anytime someone tries to argue, you just refer back to your handbook and tell them it is in the contract they (the parent) signed.

Don't elaborate on any time off you take or give reasons for why you are closing...it really isn't any of your DCF's business to know unless you choose to share that info.

When I have an important event going on, I close. But I make sure I give enough notice so that the DCP's can make back up care arrangements and then I leave it alone and do not discuss it further with my clients.

I really hope your DD has a friend's mom who can take pictures for you and maybe even some video so you won't miss everything.

I'm sorry you are missing it....my DD didn't go to her prom either but I couldn't imagine missing it if she had.

HUGS
proudmommyofthree 12:02 PM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
that's great advice! I will look because we have struck out at every store we went to last night!
That's what I did for my daughter. Took her to one of the formal/ bridal shops. She saw the she wanted , they ordered it. She tried it on , they made alterations and its done!! It's exactly what she wanted, and mind you my daughter had a hard time finding a dress (she's a 34 DDD, big on top, but smaller on bottom ) so she was super happy to find a dress that would fit her. I will post a pic if I can figure out how.

Anyways those dress shops are the best!!!
Michelle 12:39 PM 05-03-2013
Oh my gosh! that is awful!
How could the school schedule prom at a time like that?
I am praying that you can get some good pictures but I know it will not be the same as being there.
I am so blessed that my dd has prom on a Saturday.. all the other kids always had it on a weeknight but later in the night..
I am so sad for you but at least she gets to go...
Just stay up for her when she gets back and act like a paparazzi as soon as she walks in the door!
Michelle 12:41 PM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
That's what I did for my daughter. Took her to one of the formal/ bridal shops. She saw the she wanted , they ordered it. She tried it on , they made alterations and its done!! It's exactly what she wanted, and mind you my daughter had a hard time finding a dress (she's a 34 DDD, big on top, but smaller on bottom ) so she was super happy to find a dress that would fit her. I will post a pic if I can figure out how.

Anyways those dress shops are the best!!!
ok I am definitely doing this!
thank you... I thought my only choices were the major store chains and the mall
thanks guys
Michelle 04:10 PM 05-04-2013
Ok.. we finally found a dress!

I will post pictures in the members forum when I get them!
so happy.. and dd are still talking!
Reply Up