Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Have A Good Homemade Applesauce Recipe?
melilley 05:30 AM 09-19-2014
This week we did a theme on apples and today we are going to make homemade applesauce! I have never made applesauce before and I'm sure it's easy, but does anyone have a good recipe? I can look at recipes all day long, but I'd rather have one that someone else has done.

Thanks!
Meyou 05:34 AM 09-19-2014
I just cook chopped apples with the peel on, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little honey or cane sugar and cook it in the crockpot or on the stove top on low for a couple of hours. Then I puree in the blender to mix the peels in.
melilley 06:00 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I just cook chopped apples with the peel on, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little honey or cane sugar and cook it in the crockpot or on the stove top on low for a couple of hours. Then I puree in the blender to mix the peels in.
ooh thank you! I forgot about using the crockpot!
Baby Beluga 06:11 AM 09-19-2014
I do the same - apples and spices in the crock pot. Although I peel mine and don't blend because I like it a little chunky
melilley 06:26 AM 09-19-2014
Can you use Red Delicious apple? I asked dh to get Mcintosh and he came home with reds. He seemed excited that he got apples for us to make applesauce so I didn't have the heart to tell him that he bought the wrong kind...lol

Oops, just noticed that I posted in the wrong section.
jenboo 06:26 AM 09-19-2014
I cut up apples (skin on) and put in a pot with a tiny bit of water. I pour in some apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. I cook them until soft (maybe 30 min). Then I blend with an emersion blender.
jenboo 06:28 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Can you use Red Delicious apple? I asked dh to get Mcintosh and he came home with reds. He seemed excited that he got apples for us to make applesauce so I didn't have the heart to tell him that he bought the wrong kind...lol

Oops, just noticed that I posted in the wrong section.
I will use them as filler. I'll get a few sweet apples and then use red delicious for the rest. I would definitely use apple cider vinegar if you are using red delicious. It will give it more of a sweet apple taste.
melilley 06:33 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I will use them as filler. I'll get a few sweet apples and then use red delicious for the rest. I would definitely use apple cider vinegar if you are using red delicious. It will give it more of a sweet apple taste.
Oh poo, I don't have any. Oh well, it's the experience of the kids making it...lol
kendallina 06:39 AM 09-19-2014
http://pbskids.org/rogers/recipe1.html

This is a super easy one that I use with the kids all the time.
nannyde 06:46 AM 09-19-2014
I love love love Penzey's apple pie spice for applesauce. A tiny dab will do ya.
Tags:apples, applesauce, homemade, recipe
Reply Up