Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cot for a 1yr Old?
Nisaryn 08:40 AM 03-02-2016
Hello everyone! Two of my babies just turned 12m and I wanted to see about transitioning them from the PnP to the cots....would save a LOT of space. What types of cot do you find work best? Also, any advice/tips on transitioning from PnP to cot? Should I put blankets/pillows in case someone rolls over too far? Etc?

Thank you kindly!
Thriftylady 08:51 AM 03-02-2016
The cots I use are close to the floor, so falling wouldn't be an issue. The biggest issue is teaching them to lay down and stay put! The ones I use, crib sheets fit! I got mine on a lightning deal for $100. Not sure if they will be that price again soon or not. Wish you lived closer, I would sell you three of mine at cost. I have three I haven't put together yet, because I don't need them!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJY60NC/...456937435&sr=0
Annalee 09:00 AM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
Hello everyone! Two of my babies just turned 12m and I wanted to see about transitioning them from the PnP to the cots....would save a LOT of space. What types of cot do you find work best? Also, any advice/tips on transitioning from PnP to cot? Should I put blankets/pillows in case someone rolls over too far? Etc?

Thank you kindly!
I use two-inch kindermats. I transition at 12 months as well!
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I use two-inch kindermats. I transition at 12 months as well!
Same here.

Just a lot of redirection, rule reminders (stay on your mat) and rinse and repeat until they "get it".

Most of mine transition easily and aren't too terribly tough about it. It just takes consistency and a little daily effort on your part.
Thriftylady 09:07 AM 03-02-2016
I used the mats in Kansas. They take far less space. Being legally unlicensed in Ohio, I don't get checked for regs but I pretty much operate as if I was licensed. In Ohio, they have to be at least 3" off the floor.
LysesKids 09:31 AM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I used the mats in Kansas. They take far less space. Being legally unlicensed in Ohio, I don't get checked for regs but I pretty much operate as if I was licensed. In Ohio, they have to be at least 3" off the floor.
I use 3" crib mattresses w/vinyl covers & then I layer a waterproof pad under the sheet... of course all my kids age out before age 2 so this wouldn't work for older kids. I store them standing up behind my doors lol (I change sheets daily)
mamamanda 10:31 AM 03-02-2016
I'm thankful I saw this thread. I transitioned my 18mo to a toddler bed from a crib a couple weeks ago and its been rough. I was actually thinking today that maybe he just isn't ready and I should move him back. He LOVES the bed, talks about it, plays on it during the evening, helps make it, etc. He just doesn't like to stay in it at nap/bedtime unless I'm sitting right there. I'm guessing if you ladies can teach a 12 mo old to stay on a cot/mat, he should definitely be old enough to get this right? Just be consistent and firm?
LysesKids 11:03 AM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I'm thankful I saw this thread. I transitioned my 18mo to a toddler bed from a crib a couple weeks ago and its been rough. I was actually thinking today that maybe he just isn't ready and I should move him back. He LOVES the bed, talks about it, plays on it during the evening, helps make it, etc. He just doesn't like to stay in it at nap/bedtime unless I'm sitting right there. I'm guessing if you ladies can teach a 12 mo old to stay on a cot/mat, he should definitely be old enough to get this right? Just be consistent and firm?
The reason I use mattresses on the floor is so my babies can actually crawl on & off of them... I let them start about 8 months & they see the older babies (12 months) stay on them at nap; Monkey see, monkey do lol
Second Home 02:45 PM 03-02-2016
Are you licensed ? If so check what your regs say . Here we are not allowed to have children under 2 on cots unless they become a danger to the child ( they climb out ) and the parent gives permission .
jenboo 06:46 PM 03-02-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
The reason I use mattresses on the floor is so my babies can actually crawl on & off of them... I let them start about 8 months & they see the older babies (12 months) stay on them at nap; Monkey see, monkey do lol
My own baby sleeps on a twin mattress on the floor. I'm loving it so far.
For my daycare, everyone sleeps on mats. No transitioning which makes life so much easier.
LysesKids 03:53 AM 03-03-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Are you licensed ? If so check what your regs say . Here we are not allowed to have children under 2 on cots unless they become a danger to the child ( they climb out ) and the parent gives permission .
I'm legally licensed exempt and Montessori inspired and the 5" cots are actually higher than my mattresses... licensing here (5 or more kids) in TN only requires a crib or PnP for under 15 months or non walkers, so most my littles would still be transitioning only a few months later than they do now. I have only 3-4 kids ever
Tags:1 year old, cots
Reply Up