Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Do Your Kids Play With Puzzles?
cheerfuldom 09:30 PM 09-13-2012
I am starting to hate our puzzles and just want to get rid of all of them....would that be weird for me to not have any puzzles? How many do you have? How often are they used? What kinds work best and what ages seem to enjoy them the most?

the kids 2 and under normally do not have the focus, desire, or coordination for puzzles, even the ones with the knobs and minimal pieces. It seems like the puzzles pieces just get mixed up or dumped and then the littles are off to do something else.

the kids 3 and 4 are not challenged by the beginner puzzles that I mentioned above. But for now, I cant keep puzzles with smaller pieces (more challenging) because the pieces are choking hazards or because the littles again are tempted to dump things or scramble up the puzzle and pester the big kids.

so what I was thinking is keep some preschool/school age puzzles up unless I can directly supervise and just get rid of all the "baby" puzzles. What do you think? I just feel bad for getting rid of something that could be fun and educational....they seem to be a problem for my group. I have been through some turnover in the last 18 months and havent seen that change the puzzle scenario at all.
Crazy8 09:46 PM 09-13-2012
my kids like them but a few years ago I decided to keep them out of reach. I know that goes against some philosophies but I have a young group (under 3's mostly) so they are a supervised short 10-15 min. activity when I want them to sit for a bit.

I did cut down on my collection once too. I have about 2-3 puzzles for each age group/skill level - a few big chunky piece ones, a few more 10+ pc wooden puzzles (things like numbers, hands/feet w/numbers, etc.) and also have a few 25-100 pc. boxed puzzles for when I just have a bigger kid hanging around. All are out of reach and I give them only one at a time.
cheerfuldom 09:53 PM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
my kids like them but a few years ago I decided to keep them out of reach. I know that goes against some philosophies but I have a young group (under 3's mostly) so they are a supervised short 10-15 min. activity when I want them to sit for a bit.

I did cut down on my collection once too. I have about 2-3 puzzles for each age group/skill level - a few big chunky piece ones, a few more 10+ pc wooden puzzles (things like numbers, hands/feet w/numbers, etc.) and also have a few 25-100 pc. boxed puzzles for when I just have a bigger kid hanging around. All are out of reach and I give them only one at a time.
thanks for your post. that was part of the dilemma....I hate having too much put up out of reach, its just not my style. I prefer to have most of our play options out for use and if the kids are not playing appropriately, then I usually dont keep it for long. I hate having huge quantities of things that need to be stored. maybe paring down our collection would be best.
spud912 10:39 PM 09-13-2012
I have a bunch of puzzles that are out of reach. The kids love it when I take them out. I have a set time each day for manipulatives and puzzles are rotated once a week (otherwise, the kids play with pattern blocks, beads, matching-style puzzles, etc.).

The younger ones really like the magnetic and latching puzzles. The older kids like those too, but also enjoy the other puzzles I have. My group hasn't quite mastered the traditional jig-saw puzzles on their own yet, but we still try as a group activity.
Meyou 02:00 AM 09-14-2012
We do puzzles several times per week. I keep them out of reach but in sight so the kids ask for the often. We only do puzzles at the table so I can keep track of pieces. I give the little ones baby puzzles or something else puzzle-y like barrel of monkeys or felt mr. potato head with felt pieces. I have about 5-6 for each age range and several that I made by printing pictures, covering them with contact paper and then cutting them up into puzzle pieces.
Crazy8 05:06 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
thanks for your post. that was part of the dilemma....I hate having too much put up out of reach, its just not my style. I prefer to have most of our play options out for use and if the kids are not playing appropriately, then I usually dont keep it for long. I hate having huge quantities of things that need to be stored. maybe paring down our collection would be best.
I know what you mean - mine used to be out too but I'd constantly be cleaning them up off the floor and putting them back together - my kids were just too young. I would have them out if I had the 3-5 year olds but with the under 3's (my oldest now is not even 2.5!) I just couldn't leave them out. They can see them so they point/ask for them when they want them and other times I just take them out for them. I actually don't have much up high, just puzzles and cd's really and then paint/glue/craft supplies are in a locked cabinet. I see pics of those who have them out in the open and I just couldn't even imagine that with my young crew, LOL!!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:09 AM 09-14-2012
I was going to say my 1 yr old loves puzzles!! dumping them, tossing the pieces everywhere, chewing on them...
I keep one or two of the puzzles with big pieces down in the playroom during certain themes. But, most of my puzzles are up and we treat them like all the other manipulatives. I rotate them for table time. With the wide age ranges and most of mine being on the little end, that is reality. My playroom needs to be safe for 1 yr olds. (and sometimes the baby being on the floor too) And I don't like my things just torn up.
Books- same thing. i have some board books out and the rest are up. I will hand to older kidlets and they hand them back.
countrymom 06:07 AM 09-14-2012
I have puzzles too, but they are for the older kids but now I have wooden puzzles, the matching ones, so I take them out (I have alot and don't know why) but the kids all love them.
cheerfuldom 06:18 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I was going to say my 1 yr old loves puzzles!! dumping them, tossing the pieces everywhere, chewing on them...
I keep one or two of the puzzles with big pieces down in the playroom during certain themes. But, most of my puzzles are up and we treat them like all the other manipulatives. I rotate them for table time. With the wide age ranges and most of mine being on the little end, that is reality. My playroom needs to be safe for 1 yr olds. (and sometimes the baby being on the floor too) And I don't like my things just torn up.
Books- same thing. i have some board books out and the rest are up. I will hand to older kidlets and they hand them back.
thats exactly what I was trying to say....puzzles not being appropriate for a group that has little ones. Right now I have three littles that are not able to handle puzzles and like you said, they get torn up and mishandled. I think I will do as many of you mentioned and keep only those that can be stored and pulled out as a table toy option. Okay, great! thanks for all the posts.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 09-14-2012
When I stopped taking school age kids, I really revamped the type of manipulatives I have around. I ditched all the wooden puzzles with pieces and opted for wooden magnetic mazes and tracking puzzles like these:

I keep them out at all times since there are no small pieces to worry about.
cheerfuldom 06:55 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When I stopped taking school age kids, I really revamped the type of manipulatives I have around. I ditched all the wooden puzzles with pieces and opted for wooden magnetic mazes and tracking puzzles like these:

LOVE this idea. yup, that is what I am going to transition to. okay, yay, problem solved. thanks!!
daycarediva 07:37 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

THIS! I have a few wooden peg puzzles that I do put on the table on occasion (everyday table activity changes) for them to play with during before meal times.
Reply Up