Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Age Differences, Parent Comments
Baby Beluga 03:35 PM 08-29-2017
My current group is:

DCB: 18 months
DCB: 24 months
DCB: 22 months
DCG: 4 years (turned 4 in July)

DCG is technically 4 but I would rate her about 3 - 3.5 socially and emotionally.

DCG used to be the youngest, now she is the oldest. EVERY SINGLE DAY mom makes a comment about the ages of the other children and/or how DCG is the oldest now. We are going on week 3 of this and it is really bothering me. DCG participates in the same themes as the other children but I give her different work/activities that the younger kids do not get.

Do I ignore future comments from mom or should I say something?
BumbleBee 04:12 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
My current group is:

DCB: 18 months
DCB: 24 months
DCB: 22 months
DCG: 4 years (turned 4 in July)

DCG is technically 4 but I would rate her about 3 - 3.5 socially and emotionally.

DCG used to be the youngest, now she is the oldest. EVERY SINGLE DAY mom makes a comment about the ages of the other children and/or how DCG is the oldest now. We are going on week 3 of this and it is really bothering me. DCG participates in the same themes as the other children but I give her different work/activities that the younger kids do not get.

Do I ignore future comments from mom or should I say something?
Every year I have this parent. Sometimes it's the same one, sometimes it's not. I just tell them this is the group I have currently and they are free to look elsewhere if my daycare isn't meeting their needs.

Basically nobody is forcing you to have your child here, deal with it or leave but I'm not changing anything.
Mom2Two 04:23 PM 08-29-2017
Parents are often sensitive about their children having friends at daycare. I try to keep a good group, just like everyone else, but sometimes it's hard to make it perfect for everyone.
daycarediva 06:48 PM 08-29-2017
Dcg likes to be a good example for the younger children in care by.....

dcg is wonderful at modeling appropriate.....

dcg is learning so much patience and kindness playing with....

if you have the capability, some articles on the benefits of mixed age groups?

I try to keep my kids paired up (2 two year olds, 2 three year olds, 2 four year olds) but it isn't always possible to find the best fit families within those age brackets. Same with boy/girl ratio, it's challenging! If dcm brought it up again, I would specifically say those things- and that dck is doing wonderful in her role as big kid.
Baby Beluga 08:10 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Dcg likes to be a good example for the younger children in care by.....

dcg is wonderful at modeling appropriate.....

dcg is learning so much patience and kindness playing with....

if you have the capability, some articles on the benefits of mixed age groups?

I try to keep my kids paired up (2 two year olds, 2 three year olds, 2 four year olds) but it isn't always possible to find the best fit families within those age brackets. Same with boy/girl ratio, it's challenging! If dcm brought it up again, I would specifically say those things- and that dck is doing wonderful in her role as big kid.
Awesome responses, thank you!

I too try to keep the ages similar or at least have two children close in age so I can air them off. Unfortunately, all the inquires I am getting are for younger children and all boys at that!
Jupadia 04:55 AM 08-30-2017
I don't have much to add other then starting next week I'm in the same boat. My oldest in the group age 4.5 is headed of to kindergarden, he is mine so he will be here before and after school. But I had two new girls start two weeks ago and now the older one 3.5 will be the oldest. Moms already made some similar comments. I expect by January she may pull the older one and stick her in preschool. I think she only put them together for now cause the older one can let mom know what happens during the day. But if she holds till then I'll have one of the baby's age up to 2 at the end of December so the spot should be easier to fill then.
Jupadia 04:56 AM 08-30-2017
Forgot to add my next oldest is 2, 1.5 and 1 years old.
daycarediva 05:31 AM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Awesome responses, thank you!

I too try to keep the ages similar or at least have two children close in age so I can air them off. Unfortunately, all the inquires I am getting are for younger children and all boys at that!
http://www.journalofplay.org/sites/w...mixed-play.pdf

Read this and thought of you!
Baby Beluga 12:26 PM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
http://www.journalofplay.org/sites/w...mixed-play.pdf

Read this and thought of you!
While searching old posts, I saw this for the first time! Thank you for sharing
Tags:age groups
Reply Up