Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Would you send your Infant/Toddler to Daycare Full-Time?
Yes 6 16.22%
No 31 83.78%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Poll; Providers: Would you use Full-Time Daycare for your Infants/Toddlers?
Cat Herder 06:13 AM 05-02-2011
Just a quick unscientific poll of childcare providers.

If there were no other issues involved (aside from moral/ethical)... like finances, after school care, transportation, etc...

Would you send your Infant/Toddler to Daycare Full-Time?

You are encouraged to give reasons below since it would be interesting, IMHO.
emosks 06:24 AM 05-02-2011
My first born was in daycare four days a week from 7a-5p. I worked from 7:30-4:30 straight (no lunch) so I could have Fridays off with him. If I didn't have the option of working that schedule he would have been in care full time.
blueclouds29 06:44 AM 05-02-2011
Although i worked at the daycare my daughter was at, she was 5 wks old when she started. She did fine. I have her home now with me cause i started a daycare.
Meeko 06:45 AM 05-02-2011
I started day care so I could be home with my oldest sons as well as make a little bit of money. I know that some mothers have no choice but to work...but I truly believe that if it is possible, a mother should should stay home with her children.

And I make sure that my day care is run like a home away from home instead of school because I want the kids to feel "at home" as much as possible if they can't be in their own home. Plenty of time for "school" later.
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 05-02-2011
If finances and such were not an issue and I had an infant, I would do everything in my realm of possibilities to ensure that I was home with my infant and not putting them in childcare full time. IMHO I don't think infants belong in child care. (This is in a perfect world of course where parents do not have to work. ) I think that infants under 12 months really require their mothers and although I know that is not a possibility for everyone, it is the way I feel even though that is not the way it is.

Toddlers I think may be a different story....they are just beginning to be social beings (outside of parents) and I think being in child care at the age of 18 months or so is probably a good thing for most kids so my thoughts on kids those ages vary greatly compared to my thoughts on children under 18 months.

I did not begin doing child care myself until my kids were 5 and 3. My oldest child spent her first 2 years home with me and never went to any sitter or child care until age 2. My second child went to my MIL's 2 half days a week so I could attend college from birth until age 18 months when he started childcare on a 3/4 time basis. In my case, I was lucky enough to have a really close MIL and my own DH to care for my babies. My DH and I were also raising my sister who was 14, so we also had a built in babysitter too.

Cat, I know you provide services for infants and toddlers only and I am sure you are the next best thing to mother, but my feelings are only my opinions and are in no way a reflection on anyone who puts their infant in full time child care or any one who provides full time child care to infants.

In that regard; yes, I do accept infants and toddlers on a full time basis and seem to have waiting lists for both ages all the time because having an infant/toddler in childcare full time is a reality not necessarily a chosen act.
mickey2 07:46 AM 05-02-2011
I would never have placed my children in full time daycare only because I am the one who wanted to teach them their morals and values and right from wrong. No one can do that better than a child's own parents. I stayed home with my 5 children until they started school full-time because I strongly believed that this was best for my children and for my family. I wanted to spend all of my time with my kids and be there for all of their firsts. First steps, first words etc.

We did not have much while my children were growing up but we were fortunate that I was able to do this. We had to do without a lot of things so that I could do this. We had to walk everywhere as we could not afford a car. We bought a cheap fixer upper home that I hated because in order for me to stay home it was all we could afford. We never ate out, we had to stretch our meals and our dollars on everything because we did not have any money.

Those days were so tough! We were not in a very good position financially at all but we made the choice that I was going to be at home with our kids. Its about sacrificing a lot of the things you would like to have for what you believe is best for your child. We never had any of the things we wanted EVER, but we all had what we needed.

For us, this was the best decision we ever made as parents.
SilverSabre25 07:55 AM 05-02-2011
I'm guessing you're asking that if we didn't have to work, or anything else, would we send them?

No, not at all. Heck, the entire reason I'm even doing the job I am right now is because I want to be with my own kids. But if finances weren't a concern (and they are now more than ever...*sigh*) I wouldn't even do daycare so taht I could do what I wanted, when I wanted, with my own children.
MarinaVanessa 07:55 AM 05-02-2011
The main (but not only) reason that I chose to do DC was to be home with my daughter more. We also wanted to have another baby and I wanted to be home with the baby. I enjoy kids very much and even when working a job before DC I was always the family/neighborhood baby/pet/house sitter so for me DC was an obvious career choice for me.

My DD sometimes gives me a hard time (she's 6) because she gets jealous of the DCK's and I have thought of sending her to a friend of mine that has a DC during after-school hours but my DD wasn't too fond of the idea. If she ever decides that DC is too stressful for her and she wants to go to my friends DC then I'd let her go PT.
cheerfuldom 08:59 AM 05-02-2011
The only reason I do daycare is so I can be with my own kids. I would never send them to daycare of any kind unless I absolutely had to. I would also never do this particular job unless I had to. I do enjoy kids in general and I am good at this job but that doesn't mean that it is even close to my dream job or that I am fulfilled by it. I actually prefer the kids way more than the parents which is probably the case for a lot of providers. Anyway, all that to say, I will not be doing this as soon as my kids are school age (at least preschool age).
DaycareMama 09:04 AM 05-02-2011
Please correct me if I am wrong but im reading it as you asking that us being childcare providers currently, would we send our own children to another childcare?

I would not as an infant IMHO. Maybe around the age of 3 for socialization away from mommy. But that to would depend on my childs needs. If he/she is adjusted fine and not to clingy to me all the time I would keep my child with me. Again just my opinion
PitterPatter 09:14 AM 05-02-2011
I personally would not place my toddler in daycare because I didn't trust anyone, especially strangers.

A family member of mine was placed in a state licensed daycare as a young child and was mentally abused and neglected proper food/drink for years. It didn't come out until years later because the child grew up thinking that's how it was supposed to be in daycare.

As soon as my child was born I quit my job to raise him. I had a husband that was working at the time thank God. I decided once he could walk and talk and tell me so and so did this, or so and so touched me etc, then I may enroll him. I never did tho. I was still afraid so I openened my own daycare in my home because I love children anyway so it was perfect! I got to be a stay at home Mom for my child and provide quality care for other children.
daycare 09:17 AM 05-02-2011
what is considered full time? 5 days a week or over 35 hours??
MarinaVanessa 10:07 AM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
what is considered full time? 5 days a week or over 35 hours??
Where I am they go by hours and anything 30 hours and over is FT. 29 hours or less is PT. That is how the state pays for subsidy (CDR which is what is used most in our area) so providers go by that around here.
daycare 10:21 AM 05-02-2011
ok so I am also in CA just in the north.... thanks for the reply
jojosmommy 11:18 AM 05-02-2011
[quote=cheerfuldom;107759] I would never send them to daycare of any kind unless I absolutely had to. [quote]

completely agreed! We can't even find reliable enough sitters around here to make me feel at ease. Also my son has seizures and has had a terrible time separating to be with anyone else. He is fine with my husband and after a year of hard work is doing better at the gym daycare and can go with my sister if its not for more than a couple hours. I doubt he would adjust well to daycare.

Plus, I personally could not manage working outside of the home and completing all the household duties plus spending time with my child. This is the only profession I can do both and not feel like I am spending all my time making money to pay someone else to watch my child.
DBug 11:19 AM 05-02-2011
Nope. If my husband wasn't dead or absent, I would never send my kids to daycare. I sent my boys (toddlers at the time) to a friends house for about 10 hours a week for the course of a year or so, and I won't do it again. I just have a very specific way I want my kids raised, and I don't trust anyone else to do it my way . If I wasn't doing home daycare, I'd be doing a night shift somewhere to make ends meet, and that way my husband could be with the kids when I'd be working.

I just don't believe in having kids just so someone else can raise them. That said, I'm not about to presume that other people have the same belief system. That's why I don't have a problem with doing daycare .
Live and Learn 11:22 AM 05-02-2011
None of my own children have spent a day in childcare.
BusyBee 11:33 AM 05-02-2011
My daughter has never been in daycare. The only time a stranger cared for her was in the daycare at Bible Study or MOPS, but then I was always right there and there were others around.

I plan on doing this for another year to year and a half and then my daughter will go to an afterschool program. But by then she will be old enough for me to feel comfortable. Plus she would only be there for about an hour or so. (Of course, this is me with my perfect plan of being able to find a job!)
Mom_of_two 11:42 AM 05-02-2011
I worked outside the home until my oldest was 2 and my youngest was a newborn, so my two year old was in Daycare. We were at a center affiliated with the community college here and loved it!! It was a great experience. Once I had my second I decided to open my small daycare, so she was in daycare for a month at the same place (I resigned on maternity leave but gave a month notice so they could hire a new counselor.)

I LOVE being home with my girls and enjoy daycare. The thought of them being in daycare now makes me sad and I am glad they don't have to be. I will send them to pre-school when they are 4 (my oldest in the fall.)

But, I do not agree with the idea that women who must out of necessity or who choose to because they value their career are letting other people raise their children. Does that mean a father who works full time is not raising his children? Or once they get to be school age they are not being raised by the parent? Part of a parent raising the child, if they happen to use daycare, is choosing a person (and school at that point unless they home school) who fits with their values. I certainly don't feel like I am raising the children I care for during the day, they are very bonded with their families. Of course, there are always exceptions and unhealthy people etc. etc................Just my opinion.
Cat Herder 11:49 AM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Cat, I know you provide services for infants and toddlers only and I am sure you are the next best thing to mother, but my feelings are only my opinions and are in no way a reflection on anyone who puts their infant in full time child care or any one who provides full time child care to infants.
No worries.... I could not agree more. I think you rock, actually. Nothing would make me happier than being put out of business because more women stayed home with their own.

There is NO WAY my kids would step foot in Daycare if I had another choice. Luckily I do I planned and established this home daycare before I got pregnant with my children. I learned my lesson the hard way.

I even tell my prospective clients I will help them start their own if they like for the same reason. Very few takers, though. I guess that is one of the reasons why I was curious.

I overheard several women state that they NEVER had any intention of staying home with their kids while lunching at the local mall..."not even if I did not work" and I was just shocked. These were small infants in carriers and strollers by their sides.

They were even joking about using the drop in center by the mall so they could catch a quick movie, too....
KEG123 12:32 PM 05-02-2011
NO way no how. I always HATED the idea of sending my kid to daycare. I'm glad I never had to send him, he always had me or daddy. Now that I am doing daycare, he is getting socialization. So it's win-win for him.
MsMe 01:13 PM 05-02-2011
The idea of sending children (I don't even have yet!!!!) to daycare brings tears to my eyes.

I have always planned to say home with any children I would have. As I approach (within 2 years) that time it is becoming a possiblity that we may NEED my income. I have a "home" daycare now and it would still break my heart if I had keep it open after I had children. I have tough choices to make and my first instinct is to scream "THEN I JUST WON'T HAVE CHILDREN" I know a childless life is not for me so I will keep searching for a middle ground.
Missani 01:40 PM 05-02-2011
Both of my children went to daycare as infants (DS1 was full time as an infant, DS2 was 3 ten-hour days/week) and we had a great experience. If I could have stayed home with them, I would have, but we need 2 incomes and being a DC provider wasn't possible for me at the time. I have no regrets and do not feel guilty about it whatsoever.

With that said, I am glad I was able to establish my home daycare when my kids were 16 months and almost 4. I love being with them, I love my job, and I love caring for other children. I am very grateful that things have turned out the way they did, but it was a soul searching decision for my entire family.
PeanutsGalore 02:21 PM 05-02-2011
No, but that's mainly because my son wouldn't do well in a daycare environment. He's a great kid, but he's got a high needs sort of temperament--high energy and needs lots of watching and interaction, or else he's in trouble! And unhappy.

No judgment on anyone else and the decisions they make...I also have always been of the mind that if I pop a baby out, I should figure out how to stay home and take care of it, because no matter how much a stranger (even related by blood) loves your kid, they can't love them as much as you do, and you have no control over how well your kid is cared for. So staying home and caring for my own children has always been my plan.
Kaddidle Care 03:36 PM 05-02-2011
People are under the impression that they must work to make ends meet. Now if you are a single parent, this is true. But if you have a spouse that brings in double your mortgage payment per month, you can make it.

Simple savings of a Stay-at-home Mom:

1: Work wardrobe (You don't have to dress in business suits to stay at home and you know what? You can actually wear things until they fall apart!)

2: Gas and Auto maintenance (Where to you have to go? Grocery store? Baby Dr.? Try to make sure your Dr's. are close to home.) You'll be putting a lot less miles on your vehicle.

3: Packaged/Prepared foods. Now that you're home you have time to cook and prepare things yourself. Don't forget to buy what's on sale and clip those coupons!

4: Manicures (really ladies, do we really need them? I've never had one, not even for my wedding.)

5: Hair cuts - only for special occasions - day to day is for pony tails.

6: Children's hair cuts - buy an at home clipper. It will pay for itself in 2-3 months!

Sure there will be things you can't have but you need to tell yourself "do I really NEED it?" It's a good question to ask yourself before you purchase anything. You learn to become low maintenance if you're not already.

I guess you already know, I never and would never put my child in Daycare unless it was a desperate situation.
Evansmom 04:44 PM 05-02-2011
I stayed home with my first child for the first 3 years and then after that she came with me to the daycare I worked at. I stayed home for 2 years after that with my first son and then he went to a home daycare so that I could go to college.

I'm doing the daycare now so that I can be home with my last little guy b/c I firmly believe that the little ones need to be with their mommas. But that's our personal family opinion and it's good that not everyone agrees with me b/c then I couldn't have a business!!
jen2651 04:46 PM 05-02-2011
I had my firest son and I can honestly say I wouldn't have been able to stay home. I NEEDED to go to work. I loved him but the home life part of it wasn't for me. Some past info, I went from being the life of the party/bartender in a college town I had lived in for 6 years (graduated in 4) to a real life 8-430 salary job with lots of nights and weekends where I met my husband who had 2 kids from his first marriage (at that time 2 and 4). So, basically I went from being 21 (even though I was 24) to 30, married with two kids, a real job, and a partner in 6 months...it was growing up really fast. I didn't have any problems with that, but after we had our son, I still needed that stepping stone of my job to be 'me'. I know it sounds bad, but I would not have been a great stay at home mom at that point.

Time slowly changed and by the time I was pregnant with our daughter (kids are 3 years apart) I was ready to be done. I had my maternity leave and it was horrid to have to go back. I was so mentally done. I went back to work for 5 months and the whole time was a complete struggle. I was doing a subpar job at both my life and my job. It was horrible.

So, after many talks and searching for 'signs', we decided this was the right step. So, here I am. I commend women who are able to work full time and manage their family. It was SO hard! I did it for almost 4 years, and wow...much props to those out there. Not that this is really that much easier, but I get to hang out with kiddos ALL day!

I think it really is a personal decision. I know that things would not have been good if I stayed home after my son. My husband wanted me too...I just couldn't. I loved my job and did a really good job at balancing for a long time. But soon, I was ready. And then I couldn't get out of there fast enough!
MsMe 05:10 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
People are under the impression that they must work to make ends meet. Now if you are a single parent, this is true. But if you have a spouse that brings in double your mortgage payment per month, you can make it.

Simple savings of a Stay-at-home Mom:

1: Work wardrobe (You don't have to dress in business suits to stay at home and you know what? You can actually wear things until they fall apart!)

2: Gas and Auto maintenance (Where to you have to go? Grocery store? Baby Dr.? Try to make sure your Dr's. are close to home.) You'll be putting a lot less miles on your vehicle.

3: Packaged/Prepared foods. Now that you're home you have time to cook and prepare things yourself. Don't forget to buy what's on sale and clip those coupons!

4: Manicures (really ladies, do we really need them? I've never had one, not even for my wedding.)

5: Hair cuts - only for special occasions - day to day is for pony tails.

6: Children's hair cuts - buy an at home clipper. It will pay for itself in 2-3 months!

Sure there will be things you can't have but you need to tell yourself "do I really NEED it?" It's a good question to ask yourself before you purchase anything. You learn to become low maintenance if you're not already.

I guess you already know, I never and would never put my child in Daycare unless it was a desperate situation.
I completely agree! I watched my mother be a stay at home mother for all of my childhood and my brothers. It was the best childhood my parents could have provided for us. She went without ALL extras. We had the things we needed and some of the things we wnated. I was raised to believe that being a SHAM was the best way to raise a faimly. My boyfriend lives and works in a town 45 minutes away from where I live and I am not interested in reloacting to his location. I live in a small town (10,000 pepole and a school district that was just voted #3 in the country for our population) his town is NOT a disirable place to raise a family but his job and money is not offered in my community. 90% of my families have one parent who works in our community and one who works in his. To be able to raise a family here and not there I will most likely need to keep my daycare open. Having my own daycare is the ONLY compromise I am will to make to make our life work. My community is VERY family based but you pay for it with the cost of living.
squareone 11:40 AM 05-03-2011
Would never have put my own children in daycare full-time if I had another choice. However, I had to work and since I had a job outside the home they had to go to daycare. I took 12 weeks of maternity leave with each of my children and reluctantly had to go back to work.

If I found a daycare provider that I trusted and money wasn't an issue, I could see myself sending my own kids to daycare one or two days a week for half a day. Maybe then I would get to find out about this "me time" that everyone talks about.
Tags:full time, poll
Reply Up