Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Husband Wants A Rottweiler
Unregistered 02:22 PM 11-30-2011
Im a licensed daycare provider for the past 5 years. My daycare is going good and Ive been pretty fortunate to have good families and kids. I mainly care for toddlers. We have 3 children of our own that are older (5 years and up).

All of a sudden my husband is driving me crazy because he is dying to get a Rottweiler puppy. He is literally obsessed with the idea. He used to have one like 20 years ago and wants one so badly. We already have 2 small dogs that are really sweet - so I have no urge to get another dog right now.

I know that Rottweilers get a bad rap and can be great dogs when they are properly trained and socialized a lot. BUT --- I keep telling him that I believe that my daycare parents and future daycare families will probably be afraid to bring their children here if we have a big Rottweiler as a family pet. Even if she is the sweetest most cutest, kindest Rottweiler ever, I just know that is how a lot of people (who dont know how sweet they can be when raised correctly) will react.

He thinks I'm crazy and that nobody will feel worried about it being here. If we did get one, of course she would be trained and socialized like crazy to be sure she was good to be here. Especially since we have our own kids as well. But during the day she would have to spend a lot of time in a crate while the kids are here and that would be hard too.

Am I wrong for thinking this is a bad idea for the future of my daycare? I dont think I am. But I think I just need reassurance. I would personally love to have a Rottweiler someday... but just think its bad timing right now while I am running a daycare. I am pretty sure it would freak out my current parents. Another negative is that my husband will be leaving for 6 months (deployment) next month. So I will be left to do all the puppy training while hes gone. I told him its just bad timing right now. Hes driving me crazy with it.
JenNJ 02:26 PM 11-30-2011
My insurance will not accept providers with Rottweilers, Pitt Bulls, or Dobermans.
youretooloud 02:31 PM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
My insurance will not accept providers with Rottweilers, Pitt Bulls, or Dobermans.
Mine either.
sharlan 02:42 PM 11-30-2011
I would say ABSOLUTELY NOT!

He is getting ready to leave, leaving you alone as a single mother. (I realize he may not have a choice in this, but this is what is happening.) Your children will need all of your spare time to be both a mother and a father. You will have your hands full without the added burden of a hyper puppy that will need a lot of attention and exercise on its own.

As a parent, I would most likely bypass you as a provider. I've had bad experiences with large dogs. Both were professionally trained dogs.
daycare 02:45 PM 11-30-2011
Ditto!!! My insurance will not cover that breed of dog!!

As a parent, I would never allow my child to attend a DC where a dog of that breed is present.
MyAngels 03:05 PM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I would say ABSOLUTELY NOT!

He is getting ready to leave, leaving you alone as a single mother. (I realize he may not have a choice in this, but this is what is happening.) Your children will need all of your spare time to be both a mother and a father. You will have your hands full without the added burden of a hyper puppy that will need a lot of attention and exercise on its own.

As a parent, I would most likely bypass you as a provider. I've had bad experiences with large dogs. Both were professionally trained dogs.
Ditto this.

My insurance wouldn't allow it, either.

It's not worth the potential liability, IMPO.
Unregistered 03:36 PM 11-30-2011
Thank you all for your input. I know that it's an awful idea and I've told him no. He's upset with me but will hopefully get over it soon. I know it was completely illogical but guess I just needed to hear someone else who does daycare for a living agree with me. I was starting to think I was the crazy one here for being the bad guy an saying no. I know I wouldn't take my kids to a daycare either that had that breed or other large breeds only because I wouldn't really now how well trained an trustworthy they were.

Thanks again.
Cat Herder 03:41 PM 11-30-2011
Our regs even say those breeds (also German Sheppard's) are specifically banned.....and Ferrets oddly enough.
Michael 09:25 PM 11-30-2011
They can make great pets but note; Rottweilers kill more people then Pitt Bulls.
Zoe 09:35 PM 11-30-2011
I would say no to getting ANY type of puppy while your hubby is at his deployment. As someone who just got a black lab puppy (adding to the doggy total of 3) it has been SOOOOO much work during the day to train her, keep the house clean, and oh yeah. My daycare.

Personally, I have a rotty mix but she looks like a small lab and is the sweetest thing in the world. The kids love her! I have never had a problem getting clients, though I tell all potential clients that it's a "love me love my dog" situation. You don't love dogs, you will not fit in here.

That being said, as much as I'd love to tell you that getting a purebred rotty is a good idea, it's evident even from everyone else's answers that these dogs have a bad rap and it will most likely affect your business even with dog lovers if you had a purebred rottweiler. Maybe have DH bring it up in a few years and see how things are then.
Breezy 09:54 PM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Our regs even say those breeds (also German Sheppard's) are specifically banned.....and Ferrets oddly enough.
Probably because a ferret recently ate the fingers off of a baby
AnneCordelia 03:54 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
They can make great pets but note; Rottweilers kill more people then Pitt Bulls.
In the 3-year period from 2006 to 2008, pit bull type dogs killed 52 Americans and accounted for 59% of all fatal dog attacks. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 73% of these deaths.

I would absolutely not bring in a rottie, pit, shepherd or dobie into a dayhome. Nope. Like lots of people I have had great experiences with these dogs and shared my bed with a rottie for years. However, that doesn't disclude the facts. Parent's won't put their children into a daycare with a rottie.
Kaddidle Care 04:28 AM 12-01-2011
Do tell him to do his research properly. The Rotties today are not the Rotties of 20 years ago.

My Brother In Law had 3 at different times in his life. Only 1 I would trust and he was an absolute doll.

As with any guarding breed, if you don't do your homework and don't train them to a T, you're in for trouble.

They are also an indimidating looking breed and can sense the fear in people. Their approach with other dogs is even different from the norm.

I used to love Rottweillers and wanted one many moons ago. But like I said, they were pretty popular a way back and became overbred and some of the breeders weren't too picky about what they bred together.

That said, there are even bad Golden Retrievers out there because of poor breeding and I am a huge advocate of Goldens.

Also puppies and small children .. while they look cute together - are a bad mix.
CheekyChick 05:49 AM 12-01-2011
No!!! I don't care how "sweet" this dog may turn out to be, I would NEVER, EVER send my child to a daycare with a Rottweiler. That will definitely hurt your business.
countrymom 06:27 AM 12-01-2011
they are banned in ontario unless they are grandfathered in and there are very strict rules.
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Probably because a ferret recently ate the fingers off of a baby
Thank you for that information. How awful, though.

Again 99.95% of issues are due to improper supervision.

So frustrating to knee jerk it for everyone else.... banning everything that could injure an UNSUPERVISED child will leave us operating our daycares in padded rooms with kids strapped in 5 point harnesses in just a couple generations....
AnneCordelia 06:42 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
they are banned in ontario unless they are grandfathered in and there are very strict rules.
Unfortunately the pit bull ban in Ontario doesn't include rottweilers, and they are still legal to own in Ontario.
Kaddidle Care 03:25 PM 12-01-2011
Hon, I just reread your post and realized that your husband will be deployed shortly.

This will leave you alone to raise your own 3 children, daycare children and a PUPPY?

Nuts!

While I think your hubby is thinking "Guard Dog" to protect you and your family, he is not being reasonable.

Do tell him that good things come to those that wait. He needs to be HOME and be the one to do the training on the dog. You don't have time for that.
MarinaVanessa 03:42 PM 12-01-2011
Why not ask your clients what they think? You already think it's a bad idea, hubby doesn't take your opinion seriously enough to back down. So just ask your current clients.

"Hi Cindy. Listen nothing is decided yet but I wanted to ask for your opinion. My hubby wants to get a rottweiler (pause enough to read if her expression changes and what reaction she gets before you tell her it's a puppy). He seems really adamant but my priority is to do what's best for my business. What is your honest opinion on the matter?" Let them give their opinion and then ask them if their opinion changes knowing that it'll be a puppy. Make sure you ask them to ask their husbands also and ask them again the next day.

There's no better way to know what your clients will think than actually asking them what they think. If they don't care then I'd place a call to licensing to make sure they are allowed and then if they are I'd call your insurance agent and ask. Some insurance policy's are COMPLETELY void simply because you have a large "dangerous breed" dog even if you don't have a daycare business liability policy, just your homeowner's insurance.
sahm2three 06:20 PM 12-01-2011
Same here.
christinaskids 08:28 AM 12-02-2011
Even if you bypassed the fact that it is an agressive breed, large breed dogs really need a JOB to do in order to be content. A rotty can tear up your daycare kids shoes, create a bad doggy odor, whine the whole nap time, have an accident that your dc kids could slip on or get sick from. I think big dogs are more work then children so i would definetely not be happy about getting one before a deployment. Sorry hubby, nothing against you but its just a bad business decision right now.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 12-02-2011
I'm licensed, and I have a full daycare - and I do have a 90 pounds Rottweiler, that was here way before any daycare kids. When my parents came for the interview, they all saw the dog outside, however I re-assured them that the dogs are not around children during daycare hours.
My Rottie, loves my son, and he is super-friendly with anyone.

Small dogs, like Chihuaha, are known to be way mroe aggressive than bigger dogs, because owners have the tendency to treat them like babies, allowing them to "own" their owners. I good friend of mine, had to re-home her Chi ( that she treated like a child, dressing him up, sleep in bed, and so on..) because he attacked her 1 year old son, badly cutting his lip to the point that he will need cosmetic surgery.

Is not the breed, is the owner!!!!
Unregistered 11:42 AM 09-06-2012
I so agree with the last post. IT'S NOT THE BREED! ITS THE OWNERS!

1st: Rottweilers DO NOT kill more people then pitbulls... not sure where you got that number guy, but its totally incorrect. It's HOW you raise a dog is how it turns out... And if you get your Rottweiler from a reputable breeder with good family blood lines and train them properly along with plenty of socialization, they are wonderful dogs! People are so ignorant when it comes to dog breeds... Especially Rottweilers.

I think if your potential families see the dog and realize that he or she is sweet and if they are reassured that the dog is away from the kids during the day, it should be fine. There are no laws here in California from Licensing that you cant have a Rottweiler in your home while being a licensed daycare. I would recommend having a set up for him/her in the garage or backyard run while kids are there to make it easier.

If a family doesnt want to come to your daycare because of your dog, then good riddance to them. If your dog is a family member like mine are, then they come first. We have a 110 lb Rottweiler and I do daycare and never had a problem getting families enrolled.

Good luck
Tags:death, liability, pets in daycare, supervision - active vs. passive, supervision - inadequate
Reply Up