Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Protecting Privacy In Texas
love111 10:22 PM 02-27-2013
So I am looking at the possibility of moving. I have had a lot of things happen the last 6 months and it has really brought to my attention how vulnerable I am to anyone being able to find out where I live. Granted I own property so they can look it up in the county tax records but they would have to know what county I am in and most people are not that smart to know that.

As far as I know Texas Childcare licensing for in homes puts your full name up on their site. I found that google picks it up and so if anyone googles you they can zoom in really quickly and find out a lot about you.

Has anyone worked around that and had the business listed under a company name? I am thinking of putting everything in a generic business name so it is much harder to find me. Then have sub business under the main one for the daycare and anything else I do.

Thanks
love111 04:57 AM 02-28-2013
bump anyone?
Sunchimes 05:10 AM 02-28-2013
I don't know anything about sub businesses, but I know you can get an assumed name at the courthouse. However, I was thinking that home daycares in Texas are listed by the owner's name, not the business name. I went to the search pages for registered home child cares, http://tinyurl.com/cgy6xox

I looked at half a dozen random pages and didn't find any company names, only personal names. You might check with DFPS for more info.

Anyway, I'm thinking that in Texas, they don't think you deserve a business name unless you are a center.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Willow 05:43 AM 02-28-2013
Not criticizing, just curious why it's such a concern for you?

In MN DHS lists your name and address to identify who is licensed, and who is not. Also listed is when you were licensed and at what capacity. As far as I'm aware anyone in states where there are implemented "stars" type rating systems not only are you identified by name and address but often times by map as well.

Would be pretty tough to keep your location a secret when the sole purpose of your business is to interview families in your home and provide care there as well.

As a parent I personally would be suspicious and concerned if I tried contacting a daycare provider who then shared with me they were operating under an assumed name to try to "hide." Not that there is necessarily anything amiss with your intent, but I sure would assume that as an outsider not knowing all the details.
love111 06:52 AM 02-28-2013
It is one thing having your home on google maps state daycare and advertising your daycare. It is another having your personal name out there.

The whole purpose of licensing is that they give parents the reassurance that your business, you are checked out and home is safe. If your business is checked out and licensed theoretically it really isn't any different than a center NOT putting their infant room teacher on the website and advertising her personal name.

The infant teacher would have a background check, passed inspection etc.
Willow 07:12 AM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by love:
It is one thing having your home on google maps state daycare and advertising your daycare. It is another having your personal name out there.

The whole purpose of licensing is that they give parents the reassurance that your business, you are checked out and home is safe. If your business is checked out and licensed theoretically it really isn't any different than a center NOT putting their infant room teacher on the website and advertising her personal name.

The infant teacher would have a background check, passed inspection etc.

I'm not really seeing a difference. Trying to! But not making the connection.

If you google the name of my business my name is going to come up along with it. If you google my name, the name of my business is going to come up along with it. The two are intertwined pretty tightly.

The employees of a store may not all be individually listed but the owner/managers sure will be. When you're talking a center it's infant room teacher may not be individually listed but the owner/director of the center sure would be.

If you're the owner of your daycare, the one responsible for licensing, contacting, contracting, complaints and it's taxes then I think it's pretty standard to have your name connected to the business. I'm not sure there is a way to keep the two separate, and again, as a parent I'd be a little wary of the individual who seemed like they were trying to hide themselves behind that business name (or an assumed name).

I am genuinely curious what the harm in having the two connected in your mind is as I've not heard anyone be concerned about this before?
snbauser 07:19 AM 02-28-2013
Don't know anything about Texas. Here FCC can have a business name. It is listed on DCDEE's website by our business name but if you click on owner information, all of the personal information is listed. I know some people get around it by having a P.O. Box listed as their address.
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I'm not really seeing a difference. Trying to! But not making the connection.

If you google the name of my business my name is going to come up along with it. If you google my name, the name of my business is going to come up along with it. The two are intertwined pretty tightly.

The employees of a store may not all be individually listed but the owner/managers sure will be. When you're talking a center it's infant room teacher may not be individually listed but the owner/director of the center sure would be.

If you're the owner of your daycare, the one responsible for licensing, contacting, contracting, complaints and it's taxes then I think it's pretty standard to have your name connected to the business. I'm not sure there is a way to keep the two separate, and again, as a parent I'd be a little wary of the individual who seemed like they were trying to hide themselves behind that business name (or an assumed name).

I am genuinely curious what the harm in having the two connected in your mind is as I've not heard anyone be concerned about this before?
I agree with Willow here, I don't understand why the need for such privacy?

I mean if privacy is that important to you, then you should be working in a field that has no contact with the public in any way.

I do NOT mean to sound as though I am jumping to conclusions, but wanting or seeking out such a high level of privacy seems as though you are trying to hide something.

Either that or you are in the witness protection program and in that case, I totally understand.

I'm sorry I don't mean to sound snarky, I am just curious and am not getting much info from your post to really be that helpful.
Chuckles 11:12 AM 03-03-2013
For listed and registered homes in Texas they use the caregiver's name. Your first and last name must be included, but you could ask that the middle name not be shared. Licensed child care homes may operate under a business name.
texascare 06:32 AM 03-04-2013
I advertise under my buisnss name on Google, but the problem I have w/Texas Licensing is they put out your address....I had a strange, and I mean very strange man show up at my door one day saying he was interviewing daycares in the area. He got my address off TDPRS. If I choose to list my address that's one thing but for the state to automaticly do it that's another. I felt very uncomfortable with him coming to the door like that and refused to let him in. He got upset. I personlay do not interview when 1. kids are here ( you don't know the person you are interviewing at all) and 2. with out another family member present in the house.
Chuckles 07:55 PM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by texascare:
I advertise under my buisnss name on Google, but the problem I have w/Texas Licensing is they put out your address....I had a strange, and I mean very strange man show up at my door one day saying he was interviewing daycares in the area. He got my address off TDPRS. If I choose to list my address that's one thing but for the state to automaticly do it that's another. I felt very uncomfortable with him coming to the door like that and refused to let him in. He got upset. I personlay do not interview when 1. kids are here ( you don't know the person you are interviewing at all) and 2. with out another family member present in the house.
Are you listed/registered/licensed?

If you are only listed you may be able to call and ask that your address be confidential. I think they may remove it from their website. The public website is important because it allows people to verify that you are a legal provider. If you receive any CCMS or food program assistance, the address is probably a requirement as far as posting goes.
Tags:privacy, texas
Reply Up