Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Employer??
gbcc 09:37 AM 03-03-2011
A dcm walks in and a child that is not normally here was still here. (A vent for another time!) She asked why she's still here. I said not sure, I haven't heard from mom (who was an hour and a half late )

DCM then tells me thats rude and she thinks of me as an employee and I should be treated with respect She just disrespected me right there. Yes she pays me but for a service I provide. She does not employ her dentist, or Dr.
MyAngels 09:39 AM 03-03-2011
Well, good. Now she can start paying your self-employment taxes .

Some people!
gbcc 09:43 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

Some people!
Lol! I wish I had thought to say that! And ask about retirement, vacation and medical benefits!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:49 AM 03-03-2011
I do agree it is rude to not pick up on time without a phone call......the mom that walked in, is she one that feels they can be there whenever you are open?
lil angels 09:54 AM 03-03-2011
I once had a parent walk in and say wow after I paid all my bills this week I almost didn't have enough money to pay you. really see how I rate.
gbcc 09:54 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I do agree it is rude to not pick up on time without a phone call......the mom that walked in, is she one that feels they can be there whenever you are open?
No, this mom gets out of work early and picks her child up right away. She's very good about it. The mom of the child that was still here as been a thorn in my butt this entire week and has been given notice. I called her and she said "Oh I didn't know you had an appointment" So I'm angry now and I said "well I closed 15 mintues ago, you were supposed to be here over an hour ago and since my appointment is both after my hours and your contracted hours I should not need to inform you."
nannyde 09:58 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by gbcc:
A dcm walks in and a child that is not normally here was still here. (A vent for another time!) She asked why she's still here. I said not sure, I haven't heard from mom (who was an hour and a half late )

DCM then tells me thats rude and she thinks of me as an employee and I should be treated with respect She just disrespected me right there. Yes she pays me but for a service I provide. She does not employ her dentist, or Dr.
First: I wouldn't discuss another client or child with one of my clients. It's disrespectful.

Secondly: When she told you she thinks of you as an employee you should have told her that you are glad she brought that up because you were debating about whether or not to ask each of the parents to pay their employer portion of your social security and unemployment. The unemployment would REALLY help that way they could pay you a portion of your salary EVERY week for as LONG AS NECESSARY when they quit the day care for ANY reason so that you have time to seek out another quality parent just like them.

It looks like it will be about another 15 bucks a week for the social security and you are thrilled to know she will agree to contract with you to pay you sixty percent of your day care salary once she terminates so you have the time to look for another employer to take her slot. That way you can take your TIME and really find a good match. It usually takes a few months but some times as much as a year to find the really good employers.

With "employer" comes financial responsibility for weekly benefits AND once they terminate your unemployment. I'm glad to see she's on board with it.
momatheart 10:17 AM 03-03-2011
parents and how they think. LOL
Anyway I think what she was really trying to say is that you deserve respect I don't think she meant any disrespect in what she said.
Meeko 12:01 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

Some people!
I think this is one of the BIGGEST problems with home day care. Many parents think they have "EMPLOYED" you to take care of their children, and that as your "BOSS", they get to change policy concerning their child etc.

I have a section in my handbook that let's parents know that I am not their employee. I am self-employed and this is my business.

I, and I alone decide my day care policies. I am simply offering a service. They may buy that service if they wish, but it comes as written.

They cannot decide which day of the week to pay the gas bill. It's due when it's due or there are late fees. They cannot ask the gas company office to open early or close late just for them. I am no different. Since laying it out in my handbook, I haven't had any more trouble with the "but I pay you, so you must do as I say" group.

...and off on another tangent...sorry!..... I used to get parents who would complain about the fact that I charge flat rates regardless of attendance. They wouldn't see why they had to pay when their child wasn't in care. I just explain that not paying for an absent day is great for them, but they still expect me to keep a place open for their child! I tell them it's like paying rent on an apartment. If they go to Disneyland for 2 weeks, are they going to tell the landlord he's only getting half the rent because they won't actually BE in the house?!!!

Sometimes ya just have to hit them between the eyes with stuff.

(Sorry this is long).....I once had a great couple who brought their son to my day care. The mom came to me one day and said "My husbands niece is going to be staying with us over the summer, so she can watch ___ and it will save us a ton of money. But we want him to come back here in August, so could you be sure to hold a place open for him?

I honestly don't think she really understood what she had asked. I just smiled and said "What if your manager at work came to you and said "Things are a bit tough for the business right now, so we are going to have the bosses daughter do your job over the summer for free, so we don't need you. Oh and by the way, you won't get paid. Oh and we don't want you to get another job, because we want you back as soon as it's convenient for us"

She went bright red and hugged me and said "OH!!! I didn't think about it that way! I'm so sorry!"

Anyway....enough ramblings for today.......the kids are sleeping, my son has ordered chinese food and we are going to relax! Seeya!
Tags:late pickup, rude parents, vent
Reply Up