Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Counting......
daycare 02:29 PM 01-03-2012
so my son is 4...........very much in the play stages but has excelled so much in just the past two months with learning.

I am not sure how to help him with this number issue..not even sure if it is an issue.....

Situation:

If you line up some number cards and ask him where is the number 5 he can point to it.... In fact all of the numbers up to 25.

We play store and we use fake dollars. I sold him a cow for $5.00, price tag and all. He saw the price tag and put down 5$, he some how knew it said$5.00.

But if I hold up a card and ask him what number is this, he can't tell me?

Should I just ignore it and move on? I have never had a kid do this before...
CheekyChick 02:43 PM 01-03-2012
It sounds to me like he is BRILLIANT (good job, mommy) and that he KNOWS his numbers. I think he just doesn't want to tell you the numbers when asked.
melskids 02:57 PM 01-03-2012
When you present it as a game or hands on activity, it is more engaging and comes across a fun. When you hold up a card and simply ask for an answer, then it becomes work.

I agree with Cheeky.
daycare 03:08 PM 01-03-2012
lol....yeah guess mommy didn't think about that. he took a very very long time to show any form of interest in any learning, except reading. Daddy and I are so thrilled that he has finally come around to let mommy teach him.

Me of all people should have known better....lol I coached youth sports for years and years. When and if my own kids were on the team, they never wanted me to tell them or coach them to do anything.

I love teaching through play and I think this is the only way that I can get his attention.....
Tags:4 year old, counting, numbers
Reply Up