Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kinda OT - What To Do With Herbs?
Hunni Bee 11:40 AM 06-23-2012
A women's group came and planted all kinds of things with my kids last month. Vegetables, houseplants, flowers, herbs. All the plants are doing quite well.

The herbs are doing more than well, actually the basil is as high as my knee. We have thyme and rosemary too. I'm really unsure of what to do with it, aside from taking it home and using it myself.

I was thinking of doing cooking projects with it, but I think its a little too potent for 4 year old taste....any ideas of what we do with it?
cheerfuldom 02:10 PM 06-23-2012
Can you package up and offer to daycare families?
AmyLeigh 02:37 PM 06-23-2012
Maybe you can dry them?
Hunni Bee 03:18 PM 06-23-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Thats a great idea. Thanks
Kiki 03:31 PM 06-23-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Maybe you can dry them?
You can do both! From experience though, basil is a pita to dry. My kids and I do 2 liter gardens every year, and that one is the one that gets HUGE. I only dried it one year, and I'll never do it again.
You can also make small starts, and send each family home with their own 2 liter garden! They are super easy to maintain, and are small enough to go in kitchen windows to have year round.
Meyou 05:13 AM 06-24-2012
My kids eat the basil out of the garden so fast it barely has a chance to grow. They love to eat the rosemary too.
VTMom 03:24 PM 06-24-2012
I frequently used chopped rosemary in turkey burgers (along with grated parmesan). The kids love it.

You could also use the basil and maybe make a big batch of pesto. You could have the kids decorate baby food jars to bring some home perhaps? Would they eat caprese salad? That's my favorite personal use of basil!
Tags:health food, herbs, nutrician, organic food
Reply Up