Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You Thought Your DCP Would Arrive and Find Your Cold Dead Body
Pestle 08:00 AM 08-16-2016
Maybe you climbed a stepladder and then felt it wobble.

Maybe you were peeling veggies for lunch and peeled your finger.

Me, I just took a swig of tea right as the cat jumped onto the counter and head-butted the mug. Tea poured down my trachea, and I thought, "These kids are going to be screaming on the floor around my drowned corpse when their parents come to pick them up."

Share that moment with us!
Pestle 08:10 AM 08-16-2016
That is, your day care parent! I'm still getting the hang of the lingo . . .
DaveA 08:45 AM 08-16-2016
I had a minor cardiac issue (the doctors said it was minor- course it wasn't their heart) a few months ago. DW and a couple DCPs texted a lot more than normal when I reopened blatantly to check to make sure I was vertical. other than that my worst was when I was salting the driveway & sidewalk after an overnight freezing rain and slipped. Perfect 3 point landing: 2 shoulder blades & the back of my head Pretty sure I knocked myself out. Ironically all DCFs stayed home that day because it was too bad to go to work
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:44 AM 08-16-2016
I went out to salt and fell on the back step... twisted my ankle (still have issues with it!) really thought I broke it. Worse pain then child birth! My dh was in the bathroom on the main floor- through the playroom. I was just outside the playroom door yelling for him and he "didn't hear me"- I thought great, it will be 30 minutes before a parent finds me! Finally guess the cold air from the doorway hit my dh and he found me! We spent the next 4 hours at the hospital because a lot of people had fallen that morning.
I was just lucky dd was home and kept kids for me! And watched them until I was off of crutches! I was there but she did all the lifting!
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 08-16-2016
A provider in my area (one I knew well) passed in her sleep last year.

Parents arriving to drop off, found her.

I read the title and thought "It COULD happen"

This topic is a great reminder that we all need to have a plan in place for what should happen should we fall, become unconscious or have some sort of emergency when we are alone with the kids.

I teach my older ones how to call for emergency and I have a provider friend that I text chat with during the day for that very reason...if one of us did not reply we would call for help.
e.j. 12:05 PM 08-16-2016
The smell of a dirty diaper doesn't usually bother me too much but one day, as I was changing one of the kids' diaper, it was so bad that honestly, I felt myself starting to black out.
It was a good thing the changing table was next to a window. I threw it open and took some deep breaths which helped. As it was happening, all I could think about was the kid on the changing table and the others kids playing in the next room and what would happen if I actually fell unconscious. A couple of the kids knew how to dial 911. Not sure they actually would have, though.
AmyKidsCo 06:41 AM 08-17-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A provider in my area (one I knew well) passed in her sleep last year.

Parents arriving to drop off, found her.

I read the title and thought "It COULD happen"

This topic is a great reminder that we all need to have a plan in place for what should happen should we fall, become unconscious or have some sort of emergency when we are alone with the kids.

I teach my older ones how to call for emergency and I have a provider friend that I text chat with during the day for that very reason...if one of us did not reply we would call for help.
We have a form to fill out with emergency contacts for ourselves, but the form doesn't have to be posted or anything so I always wonder how someone will know where to look for it.
Josiegirl 03:26 AM 08-19-2016
Now that I remember, there were 2 instances in the past 10 yrs.(since I've lived alone) that I got out of bed to get ready for the day, made it to the bathroom, got dressed, got dizzy, and fainted. I'm not sure if I just rose too fast or what, but it was scary thinking 'this was it'.
Unregistered 01:38 AM 08-20-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Now that I remember, there were 2 instances in the past 10 yrs.(since I've lived alone) that I got out of bed to get ready for the day, made it to the bathroom, got dressed, got dizzy, and fainted. I'm not sure if I just rose too fast or what, but it was scary thinking 'this was it'.
That's what happened to me once i heard a parent knocking at the door super early one day(i had the day off so no kids) I got up so quick out of my sleep answered the door and just fainted blacked out i was told it happens when getting up so quick from sleeping..
Mike 06:23 AM 08-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
That's what happened to me once i heard a parent knocking at the door super early one day(i had the day off so no kids) I got up so quick out of my sleep answered the door and just fainted blacked out i was told it happens when getting up so quick from sleeping..
It does, and the older we get, the easier it is to happen. It's due to how our balance system works. Too rapid a change when we're not ready for it. A bit of a shock to our balance system, we get dizzy. I get that once in a while. Too much of a shock and we pass out. I've almost passed out, but so far never have.

BUT, be careful because passing out could also mean a medical issue. Dehydration, blood sugar, or other issues. I tend to get dizzy much easier when I know I haven't been drinking enough.
Reply Up