Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What is a Simple to the Point Phrase...
mismatchedsocks 02:04 PM 11-18-2011
that I can use? I have an interview tomorrow for a first time mom of a 6 month old. The baby now is in daycare but the lady needs 6 weeks off at least for surgery and its about 30 minutes from their house or work. I am 2 minutes from their house, and rarely take time off.

Anyway, first time parents, and the old daycare had a 9 month old and this little boy, and according to mom "struggled" since the 9 month old started to crawl, and get into things, and her son is a handful??

She wants to know how I can keep 8 kids in line all day without going crazy? I told her my assistant and I have a system, a loose schedule and the kids are great here. She said we can talk more at the interview, as that is my only question.

So what is something simple to say to mom to get her to understand I have done this for 11 years, most without an assistant and its really not that bad?! Ideas?
Blackcat31 02:22 PM 11-18-2011
Good behaviors at daycare and a provider who is 100% capable all stems from consistency and routine.

I tell my parents that ANYTHING is possoble with consistency and routine.

If I had a penny for every time I have had to say that, I'd be off living in the Carribean somewhere sipping Margerita's.
nannyde 02:23 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
that I can use? I have an interview tomorrow for a first time mom of a 6 month old. The baby now is in daycare but the lady needs 6 weeks off at least for surgery and its about 30 minutes from their house or work. I am 2 minutes from their house, and rarely take time off.

Anyway, first time parents, and the old daycare had a 9 month old and this little boy, and according to mom "struggled" since the 9 month old started to crawl, and get into things, and her son is a handful??

She wants to know how I can keep 8 kids in line all day without going crazy? I told her my assistant and I have a system, a loose schedule and the kids are great here. She said we can talk more at the interview, as that is my only question.

So what is something simple to say to mom to get her to understand I have done this for 11 years, most without an assistant and its really not that bad?! Ideas?
She's asking you if you will be able to one to one her child as much as her child needs or wants. She's not asking you how you do it... she's telling you that whatever difficulties or issues that have come up with her six month old she is attributing it to the providers child being so needy or requiring so much attention.

You need to talk to her in GROUP speak. Group speak is a foreign language to new parents but it is learnable and understandable. Unfortunately... it isn't an easy transition and is often rejected until the parent fully understands that they can only speak in group speak when their pocketbook can't afford one to one nanny speak.

If I'm reading that right... it sounds like her kid is just with one other kid??? The parent may have a terrible time with group speak when she has been the only source of income for the other provider. There's a chance that the surgery is not real.. but a way to get the parent gone without hard feelings. I would ask them if they are returning to the provider and ask for the providers name and number so you can discuss with the provider what methods worked for her in her GROUP.
cheerfuldom 03:38 PM 11-18-2011
I absolutely agree with nan, in fact I think I have interviewed this exact same parent several times, ha ha. I say something like this

"I understand that you have concerns and that is what a trial period is for. If this is not working out for any reason, then you are welcome to continue your daycare search at any time"

I dont try and convince them of every single scenario that might come up because as nan mentioned, you have to read between the lines and see that what she is really wanted it an affirmation that her baby will be number one, all the time. I have a portion of my handbook that talks about what "group care" entails and I refer the parent to that if they need clarification on what is and is not provided. Don't get drawn into this long discussion, just lay out what you CAN do and keep coming back to that. Don't be tempted to get into the cycle where you are constantly assuring her that you are capable of doing your job.....that can turn into the situation where she keeps "interviewing" you even after her child has started in hopes that you will finally give her what she really wants, nanny care for a daycare price. It sounds like you have to be prepared for a very demanding baby. Having issues with only two kids in care is either a very inexperienced provider or her or her baby are demanding.
Pammie 07:14 AM 11-19-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
that I can use? I have an interview tomorrow for a first time mom of a 6 month old.
My standard response is....(with as sweet a tone as I can muster)...

I understand your concerns. But understand that you have been a parent for 6 months, I've been parenting children for 26 years. Raising children is my life - both personally with my own children and professionally with my daycare. It's what I do. Each and every one of my references will speak to the quality of care that I provide/provided their children.
sharlan 07:20 AM 11-19-2011
This has been my life for over 30 years, it's second nature for me.
Live and Learn 09:50 PM 11-19-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
My standard response is....(with as sweet a tone as I can muster)...

I understand your concerns. But understand that you have been a parent for 6 months, I've been parenting children for 26 years. Raising children is my life - both personally with my own children and professionally with my daycare. It's what I do. Each and every one of my references will speak to the quality of care that I provide/provided their children.
This!!!!!
Tags:too many kids
Reply Up