Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Counting Backwards At 5
sharlan 09:39 PM 10-05-2012
My eldest grandson was telling me he was going to turn 4 on his next birthday. He's already 5.

Me: No, you are going to turn 6.
A: No, I'm going to turn 4.
Me: No, you're going to turn 6. You know, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. See, you're going to turn 6.
A: Nope, I don't think so. You know 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4. See, I'm going to turn 4 on my birthday.

What can you do besides shake your head, laugh, and walk away?
mom2many 10:31 PM 10-05-2012
I cannot wait to have this kind of dialogue with my new grand daughter! I thought being mom was great...but being a grama is gonna be even better!!!!
providerandmomof4 07:58 AM 10-06-2012
OMG! The kids have the funniest conversations in the van headed to pick up my sac. Dcb: I'm 5, I'm the biggest here. Dcb (2): I'm 5. Dcb: No, you're only 2, I'm the oldest. Dcb (3): I'm 2. Dcb: Exhasperated....sigh..No, dcb you're 3.
So funny...it makes my older dcb so irritated that they won't just agree that he's the oldest and say their correct ages!
Blackcat31 03:48 PM 10-06-2012
Had a little one over the summer who was celebrating his birthday on a Friday evening with friends.

When asked how old he was going to be, he said "I will be 5". (which was true.)

He was going to have another party on Saturday with family and proudly told everyone he would be 6 at that party.

His party with his grandparents was on Sunday after church, at which time he was going to turn 7 he said.

According to him he would have gone from 4 on Thursday to 7 by Sunday.

LOVE their logic!!
Bugsworthy 12:51 PM 10-07-2012
Taught a girl in Kindy who did this. She had trouble with concepts such as before and after. I would say, "Go stand in front of...." Then I would have to show her exactly what I meant because she didn't.know where to go. Same problem with Math concepts....what number comes after 7...she would say 6. Not just say it, but vehemently insist she was right. At one point she wrote her first name backwards. It looked like a mirror image. She was eventually tested in First grade, because it continued. There were ton of other factors, too.
sharlan 04:51 PM 10-07-2012
He's thinking is that if he turns 4, he won't have to go to school next year.
youretooloud 07:45 PM 10-07-2012
I'm totally going to embrace his theory for myself.

I'm going to look like the oldest 35 yr old soon.
DaisyMamma 03:47 AM 10-08-2012
I told my daughter she needed to turn 4 on her next birthday, not 6. ...it didn't work

Reply Up